SnookFly

Weakfish Crystal Ball

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Any bets on weakfish for the coming season?  Some coastal spots had pretty good fishing last year, other places were erratic and an occasional surprise rather than a steady bite, still others had nothing going on at all.  Some places had a better bite in the fall, not so much in the spring. What 's your prediction?  

The last few years they have been very scarce from shore in Long Island Sound. I don't expect this year to be much different, but I hope I'm wrong. 

There were a ton of weakfish in South Jersey this past year...mid-summer through the fall.  No real size to them though, at least the ones I caught...biggest was maybe 16".  

Last season I caught so many Weakfish and not to  spotburn all around Brooklyn.. All of my fishing no matter the  species are done with barbless circle hooks for easy release.. 

It's strange how one spot can be pretty good, the next is way off.  A buddy in Delaware had several in the surf in the fall (not on fly), but he had zip while wading inside Cape Henlopen. Out east on the Island, it seems to have been picky. Central Jersey seemed to have a decent, but short, bite in late summer. 

Well, let's hope it gets better this year.  Thanks for replies   

4 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Last season I caught so many Weakfish and not to  spotburn all around Brooklyn.. All of my fishing no matter the  species are done with barbless circle hooks for easy release.. 

Looks like I've gotta come west to see some weakfish-- thanks for the heads up. Any size to them or similar shorts to PSUfly?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mostly keepers because I use big hooks 8/0 to 10/0.. Big hooks catch big fish..Good luck next season..

Edited by sytheteacher

They've been the surprise fish for me, usually mixed in with school bass; but unlike the bass that strike with a firm thump, the weakies seem to eat the fly with a savage bang. No doubt about what you've hooked. Even the little guys are ferocious. 

Brian, are you catching weakfish or southern speckled trout?  Fishing with a guide two years ago in Indian River Lagoon (Ft Pierce) we caught two weakfish. Never knew they went that far south.  They were small and mixed in with sea trout.

I do a lot of weakfishing in Great South Bay (NY) in the spring.  In fact, that's just about all I do locally (my bass fishing is mostly done in LI Sound) until I start running offshore.  So my comments are limited to that small piece of coast.

I'm expecting a half-decent 2020 weakfish season.  Looked like we were fishing on two different year classes last year; one was around 4 pounds, the other just sub-legal to maybe barely legal (I haven't measured, as I've been releasing all of my weakfish lately).

If they come back with another year's growth and only normal attrition, it should be a worthwhile year.

I caught zero in 2019. Doesn't mean they weren't here, just none of them liked me. I'm going to be super optimistic for 2020! Year of the weakfish.

So what's the best way to differentiate between a weak and a speckled trout? I'd like to I.D. as quickly as possible to release as quickly as possible 

On 2/12/2020 at 9:43 PM, SnookFly said:

They've been the surprise fish for me, usually mixed in with school bass; but unlike the bass that strike with a firm thump, the weakies seem to eat the fly with a savage bang. No doubt about what you've hooked. Even the little guys are ferocious. 

Brian, are you catching weakfish or southern speckled trout?  Fishing with a guide two years ago in Indian River Lagoon (Ft Pierce) we caught two weakfish. Never knew they went that far south.  They were small and mixed in with sea trout.

We are catching both.  Back in the inland waters it is almost all speckled sea trout.  I catch more weakfish around Cape Lookout than I do around Oregon Inlet. We call them grey trout and there were a lot of them around the wrecks and jetties this fall and winter 

BDH_2682.JPG

IMG_4205.jpg