Captain Tuttle

Worm and Tube with J-Hooks - Banned In Boston!

23 posts in this topic

Worm and tube and spinners with worms are my best rigs when trolling in a kayak.  I've never foul hooked, gut hooked, or even deep mouth hooked a fish. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is considering extending the ban on using baited J-hooks to include worm-and-tube.  Seems like an unnecessary measure.  Anyone have any experience with fish mortality due to worm and tube?  Has anyone tried circle hooks on a worm and tube?

I think some here  got a tongue shot here and there.  That can get bloody.  Circle hooks can do that too. I apologize for the people who make the suggestions here in Mass and the people in charge of saying that's a great idea. Some of it's great and some of it sucks. 

I remember when we tried to get mandatory PFD use in Mass. It had steam....and then our liberal controlling lawmakers included CPR training and  special insurance for guide folks and rental outfits and that bill never left the floor.....There are people in Mass who make Liz Warren look like a conservative. 

Off topic and that's my lunch rant of the day.  

Took this directly out of an OTW article discussing MA Striped Bass conservation measures:

• Effective next year (2020), recreational anglers not fishing aboard for-hire vessels will be required to use inline circle hooks when fishing for striped bass with whole or cut natural baits. This will include fishing with whole or cut natural baits while in possession of striped bass as well. This circle hook mandate will not apply to natural baits attached to an artificial lure to be trolled, jigged, or casted and retrieved (e.g., tube and worm). Nor will the mandate apply to any natural bait affixed to a treble hook and fished using the snag and drop technique. A hook is considered to be an in-line circle hook only if it is manufactured so the barb of the hook is in-line with the shank and bend of the hook and is turned perpendicularly back to the shank to form a circular or oval shape (see image below).

Are you hearing differently from the above?  Sources?

I am also reading the above to suggest that circle hook will not apply to the use of J-hook/siwash hooks on rigged eels as they are "casted & retrieved"...

Why in the world would they exclude snag n drop from the law? Doesn't that get plenty of gut hooks?  I usually bring it in and put it on a circle. Not that I haven't had gut hooks on circles too.

I made tube and worm rigs for a while with circles and it worked fine. I made them cause of a few gill hooked fish. I really only fish fly and artificial now anyway.

As for the snag and drop, I always rigged them on a 7/0 inline circle and never gut hooked a fish. Gellflex were you using inline hooks?

Good news re: tube & worm being allowed with J hooks, because that's 80% of what I do on the kayak and I have many tubes that came with non circle hooks. 6 years - zero gut hooks with that technique.

I'm guessing that they are allowing snag and drop, because there is no way for the EPO to prove whether an angler was targeting a pogie only or intending to snag and drop the pogie. I guess they could ban snag hooks all together.

Edited by tj7501

6 hours ago, putty said:

Took this directly out of an OTW article discussing MA Striped Bass conservation measures:

• Effective next year (2020), recreational anglers not fishing aboard for-hire vessels will be required to use inline circle hooks when fishing for striped bass with whole or cut natural baits. This will include fishing with whole or cut natural baits while in possession of striped bass as well. This circle hook mandate will not apply to natural baits attached to an artificial lure to be trolled, jigged, or casted and retrieved (e.g., tube and worm). Nor will the mandate apply to any natural bait affixed to a treble hook and fished using the snag and drop technique. A hook is considered to be an in-line circle hook only if it is manufactured so the barb of the hook is in-line with the shank and bend of the hook and is turned perpendicularly back to the shank to form a circular or oval shape (see image below).

Are you hearing differently from the above?  Sources?

I am also reading the above to suggest that circle hook will not apply to the use of J-hook/siwash hooks on rigged eels as they are "casted & retrieved"...

The information is the proposal for 2021 and available on the MDMF website.  You can sign up for notices as well.  

https://www.mass.gov/doc/020720-winter-omnibus-public-hearing/download

6 hours ago, gellfex said:

Why in the world would they exclude snag n drop from the law? Doesn't that get plenty of gut hooks?  I usually bring it in and put it on a circle. Not that I haven't had gut hooks on circles too.

They are proposing to prohibit snag and drop.  No problem with that.  That's a cow killer.  

8 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

They are proposing to prohibit snag and drop.  No problem with that.  That's a cow killer.  

I agree, but why would they include the phrase "Nor will the mandate apply to any natural bait affixed to a treble hook and fished using the snag and drop technique." at all while discussing the circle hook mandate. Seems weird if they're prohibiting that.