Flips

Leader or no leader on lures.

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Flips said:

This is a tough question that I honestly don’t know but I haven’t used leaders. Just stuck with a tactical angler clip connected to my lures and what’s y’all opinion what type of knots to clips/lures or knots to swivels etc.

Back in my mono fishing days, I used to tie direct to 8 and 10 lb mono fishing the back bays and such. These were big schoolie bites fishing jigheads and plastics mostly.  It was very predictable fishing where you could pretty much guarantee small fish one after the other. Any sign of bigger fish or if I used plugs, I always wanted a mono leader that gave me more assurance on the business end. These days with braid I am always using a mono leader.

Edited by redfin

15 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Interestingly the color red has the longest wavelengths on the spectrum and consequently is absorbed (disappears) first underwater. Just food for thought.....

yes sir..which is why i use the red...if anyone has a chance go on you tube look up color changes underwater ...guy dives with a bunch of colored markers on a stick as he dives deeper watch how the colors change..pretty kool stuff..might make u guys wanna change some jig colors around after u guys watch it

15 mins ago, willcodfish said:

yes sir..which is why i use the red...if anyone has a chance go on you tube look up color changes underwater ...guy dives with a bunch of colored markers on a stick as he dives deeper watch how the colors change..pretty kool stuff..might make u guys wanna change some jig colors around after u guys watch it

That's why I'll fish red bucktails at night. They basically fade out to a black or gray and create a solid silhouette for fish to key in on.

1 min ago, Sandbar1 said:

That's why I'll fish red bucktails at night. They basically fade out to a black or gray and create a solid silhouette for fish to key in on.

the Purkinje effect is real

1 hour ago, willcodfish said:

There is another guy Dr. Greg Vinall from Australia who has a video series on lure color underwater, I never understood color change underwater until I saw his videos. 

4 hours ago, willcodfish said:

2 hours ago, fishhappy said:

There is another guy Dr. Greg Vinall from Australia who has a video series on lure color underwater, I never understood color change underwater until I saw his videos. 

Those videos are nice and interesting to see, but

Like, some of the comments says,

Those are changes to my eyes.

I would like to see if, any, color changes to fish eye.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Absolutely use a leader. In my opinion it's an absolute necessity in the surf. They prevent against line chaffing and give you something to grab onto to land and control a fish. Braid can and will cut you if you attempt to grab it instead and will quickly be destroyed by sharp rocks and underwater obstructions.

I normally fish between a 24" and 36" leader with a quality SPRO swivel and TA clip of the appropriate sizes. I typically use 50 or 60 lb mono but will step down as low as 15# floro for funny fish or up to 80# when the blue's are in heavy or when I'm eeling in the boulders.

I only use the palomar knot for all 3 connections (TA to leader, leader to swivel, swivel to braid) because of its strength the and its easy to tie.

Doesn’t using the Paloma right knot for all three knots get unwieldy somewhere along the way? I use the uni knot to connect the swivel. I clinch knot the leader to the swivel and the clip. The Paloma is stronger. My way is easier and strong enough.

19 mins ago, tristate said:

Doesn’t using the Paloma right knot for all three knots get unwieldy somewhere along the way? I use the uni knot to connect the swivel. I clinch knot the leader to the swivel and the clip. The Paloma is stronger. My way is easier and strong enough.

Personal preferences I guess. I have confidence in the Palomar knot and can tie on a new leader in the dark with it without issue. It's a strong knot and that counts for more than ease of use in my book.

7 hours ago, Popasilov said:

:banghd:

Sometimes I have feeling, people asking same stuff, just because they are bored.

It is a winter thread time

Honestly I’m new to this forum, it’s probbaly been mentioned before but I’ve been preparing myself for this stripper season 

I find the repetitious questions refreshing. I’ve been fishing 60 something years and you never know when you learn something new. A lot of what we do is done because Pop or an Uncle did it that way.  Although it isn’t wrong there may another way of doing it. The other way may solve a problem that the old way doesn’t. Give it a try. 

On 2/14/2020 at 0:16 PM, tristate said:

I find the repetitious questions refreshing. I’ve been fishing 60 something years and you never know when you learn something new. A lot of what we do is done because Pop or an Uncle did it that way.  Although it isn’t wrong there may another way of doing it. The other way may solve a problem that the old way doesn’t. Give it a try. 

Exactly right, my dad used to be crazy into fishing but stopped years ago until me and my friends got heavily into it, we’ve started to go surf fishing last summer and have been loving it even though we’ve hated not catching anything.. But it’s alright I’m just scrolling through these threads learning what I can.