Flips

Leader or no leader on lures.

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

This is a tough question that I honestly don’t know but I haven’t used leaders. Just stuck with a tactical angler clip connected to my lures and what’s y’all opinion what type of knots to clips/lures or knots to swivels etc.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Braid to mono/Fluoro leader: Albright knot.

Leader to clip: uniknot.

usually no swivel.

That’s what I do but I’m no authority. Easy to tie and very good strength.

Edited by wrboz
Added info

Posted (edited) · Report post

Absolutely use a leader. In my opinion it's an absolute necessity in the surf. They prevent against line chaffing and give you something to grab onto to land and control a fish. Braid can and will cut you if you attempt to grab it instead and will quickly be destroyed by sharp rocks and underwater obstructions.

I normally fish between a 24" and 36" leader with a quality SPRO swivel and TA clip of the appropriate sizes. I typically use 50 or 60 lb mono but will step down as low as 15# floro for funny fish or up to 80# when the blue's are in heavy or when I'm eeling in the boulders.

I only use the palomar knot for all 3 connections (TA to leader, leader to swivel, swivel to braid) because of its strength the and its easy to tie.

Edited by Sandbar1

For all my fishing, the only thing I do not use a leader for us FW bass fishing in heavy vegetation. You absolutely should use a leader in most fishing scenarios.

For surf fishing, I typically do mainline -alberto/uni to uni - 2 to 4ft leader -uni to TA Clip.

Always use a leader with braid.  As strong as braid is, it pops pretty easy once it gets chafed.  30-36" is a good length.  In rocky areas I use 60# Jinkai, it makes handling fish much safer on your hands as well. 

I do not use a swivel, many do.  I prefer to tie leader to braid with a slim beauty knot.  Other good knots are the FG, Alberto or Albright.  If you want to use a clip I tie a Uni knot, or a palomar.  If you want to tie your leader to the lure I prefer a loop knot like the Rapala knot.

Gotta use a leader.

Leaders provide abrasion protection against rocky bottoms and they  also make the  final connection to your hook more bite proof. 

Also, a heavy leader gives you a nice “leash” which  you can use to control a fish when you’re trying to land it. 
Trying to land a fish with just braid sets the stage for slicing your hands pretty badly and that’s  not a good way to end your fishing trip. 
I never throw a plug in the salt unless it’s attached to at least a couple of feet of 50 to 100 pound mono. 

I need to improve my knot variety, but I use:

Braid>polamar>spro swivel>improved clinch>24” of 30 or 50# yo-zuri/Seguar>improved clinch>TA clip

2 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Absolutely use a leader. In my opinion it's an absolute necessity in the surf. They prevent against line chaffing and give you something to grab onto to land and control a fish. Braid can and will cut you if you attempt to grab it instead and will quickly be destroyed by sharp rocks and underwater obstructions.

I normally fish between a 24" and 36" leader with a quality SPRO swivel and TA clip of the appropriate sizes. I typically use 50 or 60 lb mono but will step down as low as 15# floro for funny fish or up to 80# when the blue's are in heavy or when I'm eeling in the boulders.

I only use the palomar knot for all 3 connections (TA to leader, leader to swivel, swivel to braid) because of its strength the and its easy to tie.

exactly what sandbar said..only i use red mono for leader as opposed to reg, white..seemed to make a big difference for me..anyone else have input on leader colors..

1 min ago, willcodfish said:

exactly what sandbar said..only i use red mono for leader as opposed to reg, white..seemed to make a big difference for me..anyone else have input on leader colors..

Interestingly the color red has the longest wavelengths on the spectrum and consequently is absorbed (disappears) first underwater. Just food for thought.....

7 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Yes

Drop the mic

Braid connected to leader with Uni-to-Uni knot connection, leader to clip with Palomar or improved clinch. Leader is much easier to grab and control a large fish with than grabbing thin braid and slicing the inside of your fingers. 

i would lose most of my fish due to rock abrasion without a leader.  Sometimes have to change during the outing due to getting beat up.  Love rocky areas.  In theory if you fished nothing but open beach you could get away with it but landing a fish would hurt the hands.