derekh

Two piece 9'6" or 10 foot fly rods

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

In case i missed it in my search, is anyone here aware  any companies building 9'6" or 10 foot ,2 piece 3,4 or 5 weight rod. 2 piece being the key. Would like to look at new rods and haven't paid attention in a few years. Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, derekh said:

In case i missed it in my search, is anyone here aware  any companies building 9'6" or 10 foot ,2 piece 3,4 or 5 weight rod. 2 piece being the key. Would like to look at new rods and haven't paid attention in a few years. Thanks in advance 

Good question ... I only see old school rods like that. Custom builds & blanks ... yeah maybe a source. But major fly companies  don't seem to have them. Scott rods might be the exception.

9 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

CTS in NZ

Thanks for the reply Mike, I think i am starting to get the new rod idea out of my system.Have plenty of 20 year old rods that work just fine.

2 hours ago, derekh said:

Thanks for the reply Mike, I think i am starting to get the new rod idea out of my system.Have plenty of 20 year old rods that work just fine.

20 year old rods are very old technology.

If you like nostalgia - fine.  If you like performance get a blank made with modern materials.

Herb

Derekh

HL does make a good observation. Twenty years ago the rods I was fishing I thought were great.  But if you don’t move with the advances you don’t get to benifit so get trapped in a time warp.

I have Sage rods 27 years old RPL+ for me they are still very fine rods. I still fish them alongside my later models. In this case nostalgia does not come into play. But it would with my old glass rods and some British made fly rods that are at least twenty years old and really feel old hat. They still work but are boring to fish with.

I like two piece rods over four piece. I have four piece for aeroplane travel.

The std now is four piece driven I believe by the American market.

Sage XP were last of the two pieces. These are a few years old but still very good rods. I wish I had acquired some. Rod materials have changed but rod weights are pretty much the same still. 
Sadly some high tech rods are too much rod for your average guy who does not get to fish very often. They need more skill to use and this often leads to a lessor performance in the field.

Not all modern rods use high tech carbon pre pregs. Low and mid price point rods can still make into very fine rods. IM6 has been around for a very long time and is still being used.

Today even with all the improvements rods exceed the ability of most of us.

mike

I recall having an old G Loomis IMX 10', 2 pc fly rod (I stupidly snapped it in a car door after a couple seasons)..but I think that one was a 7 weight. I also recall seeing the old Orvis Silver Label rods in 10', 2 pc versions

7 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Derekh

HL does make a good observation. Twenty years ago the rods I was fishing I thought were great.  But if you don’t move with the advances you don’t get to benifit so get trapped in a time warp.

I have Sage rods 27 years old RPL+ for me they are still very fine rods. I still fish them alongside my later models. In this case nostalgia does not come into play. But it would with my old glass rods and some British made fly rods that are at least twenty years old and really feel old hat. They still work but are boring to fish with.

I like two piece rods over four piece. I have four piece for aeroplane travel.

The std now is four piece driven I believe by the American market.

Sage XP were last of the two pieces. These are a few years old but still very good rods. I wish I had acquired some. Rod materials have changed but rod weights are pretty much the same still. 
Sadly some high tech rods are too much rod for your average guy who does not get to fish very often. They need more skill to use and this often leads to a lessor performance in the field.

Not all modern rods use high tech carbon pre pregs. Low and mid price point rods can still make into very fine rods. IM6 has been around for a very long time and is still being used.

Today even with all the improvements rods exceed the ability of most of us.

mike

to make matters worse and prove how much of a neanderthal i am, in 99 or 2000 i bought a few high end fly rods. I thought they sucked felt way to stiff to me . I went back to mid grade and low end rods and could cast them great.So i am really fishing 30 year old technology .That being said it probably doesn't matter   all my fly fishing is  full sinking lines in stillwater   or streamer fishing in rivers. I bought a bunch of cortland 333 and 444 full sinking double taper lines when they stopped making them. Because of my shoulder i dont fly fish as much and when i do its mostly sloppy roll cast, technology isn't important. Lately i have been reading more about euro nymphing etc and was thinking about a newer rod.I know i can stick a nymph and indicator on my seven weight and do just fine.   

Derekh

Whats important is what works,for you.

Yes you can nymph fish with a std fly line and indicator. Great way to fish.

Euro tight line nymphing uses long as in between 10 feet and 11 feet rods typically a 3 wt. Two or even three weighted nymphs are cast. No fly line gets to touch the water. It is very effective in certain types of water and especially for Grayling.

Mike

:agree: What is IMPORTANT is what works for you. 

Over the decades I've been through a fair amount of equipment, An inveterate gear hound is my downfall. But as I run out of time & money I look at what I've kept & why. Early on (with the resurgence of the Striped Bass & Saltwater fly fishing) and having grown up in Rhode Island, I was influenced by those fly fishermen who advocated Salmon fishing techniques for Stripers (going way back ala Harold Gibbs). Consequently that got me to look at and then favor longer rods .... because it made so much operational sense (when wading tidal rivers & such).

So over time what I have and fish with are mostly longer rods 9.5 to 11 foot. Of those rods the only two piece units I have are from the original Gary Loomis company (G Loomis IMX & GLX). Turns out his best casting rods were all two-piece rods as compared to the identical 4pc sibling.

Herb made the point / recommended that you should buy / get new technology if you're going to invest in a new rod. Not bad advice, except nobody I know is making 2pc rods in a single hand (or DH) 10 foot rod anymore. Does it matter? Dunno, as I came very close recently to acquiring an 11 foot 6wt 4pc Sage X DH Switch rod ... for my Spring time Striper fishing (lost out at auction). I went after it because of new technology ... to try it out being an inveterate gear hound and all. It was not because I needed it.

But that rod would not have replaces my 10ft Sage XP, G Loomis IMX, or 11 foot Z Axis rods. If it was a keeper then it would complement those rods. Which gets back to Mike's point ...

Get what works for you. Old or New. (you can find a long two-piece rod in good condition on FB).

Spring fishing is around the corner ... get ready and then get out there! Cheers!

I had a friend that got tired of the sections twisting on his 10' 9wt Loomis XXX so he glued all 4 sections togeather to make a one piece rod.  Thankfully the rod never needed warrenty repair :-)

CTS will build custom blanks in 2 pc.

Extra charge if no design already on the books for specific length/wt.

But doesn't hurt to ask me for wish list..

Herb

1 min ago, HL said:

CTS will build custom blanks in 2 pc.

Extra charge if no design already on the books for specific length/wt.

But doesn't hurt to ask me for wish list..

Herb

That's good to know.