Southcoastphil

Max amount of line out with hooked striper? I want the TRUTH.

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Never seen something pull a 100 yds off the beach .a brown shark or a large skate might test that distance I usually fish with more of a heavier rig than lighter,so when I do get something in the XL  class the catching is over that much quicke r no tangles ,no line wrapped into the jetty,no tangles with the people fishing on the jetty.

Most repeat ,,,,,,,you got to do what you got to do to get a fish,,,,,,every place is different and reel and rod on different fisherman,,,,,it is a science we have not figured our yet,,,,:hi5:all we can do is quest at it or talk about the Easter bunny,,,,,,,,,,:airquote:

Edited by bennie

I want a spinning reel that holds 250 to 300 of whatever braid i'm using...I'll only cast 100-150.....but to achieve that distance I need the capacity and or spool capacity so 50 yards in it's not at half spool and rubbing the lip...capping my cast at 75 yards.

Longest single striper run was probably 50 yards in current.  Foul hooked 30#

Only Skates and Shark have spooled me..Stipers posibly took a fifty yard run with ten pound drag on the reel..Most of the time I tighten the drag adjustment while the fish is running to help turn him...Everyone have a great season, Sy 

In 30+ years of surfcasting I've gotten down to the bottom of my line once, cupped the spool and got broken off on the rocks. If a fish takes you to the end of 300 yards you're probably not going to get it in anyway. At least if you fish near any structure, which will get in between you and the fish. You will probably never have a fish take that much line, anyway. 

Chunking heavy current in a local river, chunk was probably 50 or so yards away. Hooked an interesting 30 lbr, it must’ve had a wire/heavy line rip half it’s face open In a straight line from lip to just before the gills that had healed over but it was emaciated so it must have affected its eating habits.  Had the length of what would probably be 40 lbs under normal conditions,  took the chunk and just slowly took about 100 yards in the current. Nothing I could do to really stop it in a moon tide until it slid out of the channel and got close to the bulkhead way down the river.  Took line long enough that I had enough time to pull my old flip phone out and call my brother who was fishing about 200 yards up current.  Slowly gained line until we netted the mangled beast and set her on her way.

Open water with relatively light current I don’t think I’ve had a bass take more than 25 yards.

I'm a lot more worried when that brute is thrashing on my plug rather than taking line, but then again I am not accustomed to fishing boulder fields like @DZ or @Sandbar . I assume these guys are letting up on their drags after a hookset to relieve tension just in case the braid touches some crusty rocks

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

Chunking heavy current in a local river, chunk was probably 50 or so yards away. Hooked an interesting 30 lbr, it must’ve had a wire/heavy line rip half it’s face open In a straight line from lip to just before the gills that had healed over but it was emaciated so it must have affected its eating habits.  Had the length of what would probably be 40 lbs under normal conditions,  took the chunk and just slowly took about 100 yards in the current. Nothing I could do to really stop it in a moon tide until it slid out of the channel and got close to the bulkhead way down the river.  Took line long enough that I had enough time to pull my old flip phone out and call my brother who was fishing about 200 yards up current.  Slowly gained line until we netted the mangled beast and set her on her way.

Open water with relatively light current I don’t think I’ve had a bass take more than 25 yards.

I got almost completely dumped at round valley reservoir...of all places....(we were going for pike at spruce run but it wasn't thawed so we went to the valley)

6" pike minnow...lobbed on a noodle rod....

6lb fireline on a baitrunner....

Was picked up and just a steady pull until I saw a splash on the surface a solid 180 ish yards out...(I was down the taped on arbor knot...maybe 5 wraps left...

I palmed the spool and popped it off......No idea what it was...

Friend of mine thinks it was a duck.there were 2 in the area...but we were fishing in the corner of the rocks which puts the bait 50' deep.

Synopsis - immediately after a big storm.  Surf was up with a very strong sweep. At around 2:30 am I had a bass strike at the end of a very long cast and quickly set the 4/0 trebles of my loaded Super Strike needlefish into a good fish that proceeded to take huge amounts of line in screaming bursts.  It was in the next few moments that I would learn a new surfcasting lesson.  As the bass continued to take more and more line I began to wonder how much more I had left on the spool of my Penn 704.  I turned on my neck light and put the beam on the spool and noticed the pink color of Ande line which is no big deal unless you’re using fluorescent blue Stren and the pink Ande is your backing! I estimated I had about 30 yards of backing left. The true horror of the situation was knowing that somewhere between this cow and me was a simple blood knot connecting the blue Stren to the pink Ande.  I prayed that I had tied it correctly. (This would be the last time I would ever use backing on a Penn 704 which only holds approximately 230 yards of 20 pound monofilament when freshly filled.  My spool was a few weeks old and I no doubt had less as I would always cut back a few yards to retie a few times per outing as insurance against cut-offs.)  The bass was now some 150-200 yards out in the surf.  I had never had a fish take that much line.  Eventually landed, bottomed out a 50 lb scale, then released.

2 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I'm a lot more worried when that brute is thrashing on my plug rather than taking line, but then again I am not accustomed to fishing boulder fields like @DZ or @Sandbar . I assume these guys are letting up on their drags after a hookset to relieve tension just in case the braid touches some crusty rocks

In the heavy boulders I play with the drag constantly. I keep it tight and locked down for the hookset and for as long as possible during the initial run. I want to try and immediately break the fish and turn her away from structure. Inevitably there will be some fish which can't be immediately turned and that's when I'll loosen up on the drag and let her take some line as the alternative is often getting a tight line cut on the rocks. Often in these situations you can actually feel your line get dragged across or by some structure. I'm normally in a wetsuit and so in these situations, depending on the conditions and current I'll get back in the water to try to maneuver the fish better. There's been more than one occasion when I've hooked a fish from one rock and ended up landing it on a completely different one. The point is, your right. I adjust my drag and pressure constantly which sometimes results in bass taking longer than usual runs but also normally ends with a landed fish rather than a parted line.

I have had less than 1/10 of the spool before, Granted this has only happened one or twice, But I fish a handful of stella 3000's or exists with only about 170 yard capacity if I spool it. Light tackle plastics for me. 

Other than that, fish in the high forties all on the 3000's with out an issue. Granted i fish exclusively from the water, on a boat or yak so i can chase. 

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

In the heavy boulders I play with the drag constantly.

Thanks for the reply. I figured that youd want to fight a fish like you described above in that sort of environment. Anything to avoid the pendulum effect as I call it. When Im fishing inlets with difficult structure or tight landing zones I am constantly playing fish like you described above. I guess this could result in a fish taking a full spool but id still venture to guess that the fish is mroe than likely snagged

3 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I guess this could result in a fish taking a full spool but id still venture to guess that the fish is mroe than likely snagged

The trick here is to fish heavy gear in these situations. This gives you the capability to turn a fish when needed and the capacity to let them run if necessary. In the heavy boulders I wont fish with less than 300yrds of 50lb braid and an 80lb leader.