Southcoastphil

Max amount of line out with hooked striper? I want the TRUTH.

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

Longest run I ever had was a estimated 80 lb brown or tiger shark on 15 lb mono. Took close to a real 100 yards on its first run. Had like 220 yards on that reel and didnt worry about getting spooled. Fought that shark for close to an hour. Would of towed a cow. 

4 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Only thing that swims that can pull close to the 190yds of 20lb mono off my reel around here are the browns and Sand Tigers. Screaming drag gives me a woody.every time.

I had to laugh. I just read your post after I posted mine about hooking a shark. Lmao. So true

3 mins ago, Jsnake4 said:

I had to laugh. I just read your post after I posted mine about hooking a shark. Lmao. So true

I'm puting less than 7lbs of drag pressure on 160lb sharks.  Give em a work out.

20170908_195048.jpg

5 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

I'm puting less than 7lbs of drag pressure on 160lb sharks.  Give em a work out.

20170908_195048.jpg

Those things fight. Lmao. I hooked my first one while fishing and catching snapper bluefish. But even when I target them with heavy tackle they still pull line. Just maybe not as fast. Lol. I bet that some of the experiences that guys have getting spoiled are in reality not stripers. 

That ST got good leverage on me after spitting the hook on pick up and gettin it pinched in his side. Ended up 1 mile west of where I started about a half hour later in the dark.

Still didn't get near spooling me.

Screenshot_2018-11-16-22-46-45-1.png

I've never had a big bass take more than maybe 50 yds. of line in a spot with little current. Probably way less. In crazy current I've had a couple take a pretty substantial amount of line mostly from user error or strange luck.

Deepwater bucktailing a large inlet with crazy current I would keep my drag locked down and when I hooked up to a decent fish loosen the drag... When I was younger too much!!

Probably the most line I've had taken and this has happened twice. Was fishing the same inlet spot and foul hooked fish in the high 20's in or around the vent with a bucktail. Both times I thought I had my pb on.

Up until the 4 or 5 years ago all I fished were 705z, 5500 ss, and at one point I had several 5500 battles in various states of water intrusion that I would strip down, clean, and repair as needed. All had 30 lb stealth with some where around 300yds. and never thought I was gonna come close to getting spooled.

You have to factor the conditions for the bass as well. Bass in cooler oxygen rich water are going to fight harder. Sometimes much harder. Still wont pull off 190yrd of 7lb drag til you get over the 50lb mark. Your pushing it at that point.

Yea I’ve probably overestimated a bit.  100 yards is pretty much max for a bass....with a light inshore rod 3000 size reel and 15 pound braid....and current.....I’ve had bigger fish fight like hell on bigger setups maybe hit 75 yards.....but certainly when I was less experienced or not expecting size I’ve been dragged.

2 hours ago, patabate said:

Fished an abu 7000 a long while ago, loaded with 50# Micron that I loaded from a bulk spool. Landed a lot of cows and never was anywhere near the bottom of the spool. Thought I had 200 yards of line on the reel. Years later when I was able to measure the line from a bulk spool I discovered I was only able to fit 100 yards of line on it. I guess sometimes what you don’t know won’t hurt you. 

I can relate to that. I fished a daiwa 27h in the 80’s with 40 lb pink Ande! Reel was rated for 200 yds of 20 lb mono. Never had a bass empty the spool.

I had a monster striper hit a pencil 30 yards off the beach.  It took 600 yards of 50lb braid off a VS300.  

Spooled, but determined not to be broken off, I waded in.  I was towed out a quarter mile or so, drifted another mile down the coast.  Finally, was able to swim back in and start retrieving line.  Finally beached a 40lb fish that was "suitcased" (hooked in the back).

So, 600 yards, but I coulda used more.   You can never really have enough.  IMHO.

I use light drag because sometimes there barely hooked ,,,,,:why:but is it better for the fish to roland martin it and yell out son oh son,,,,,,but after reading this I'm going to check to see how many pounds I I'm using,,,,,,,;)

Edited by bennie

Never seen something pull a 100 yds off the beach .a brown shark or a large skate might test that distance I usually fish with more of a heavier rig than lighter,so when I do get something in the XL  class the catching is over that much quicke r no tangles ,no line wrapped into the jetty,no tangles with the people fishing on the jetty.