Southcoastphil

Max amount of line out with hooked striper? I want the TRUTH.

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Fish Guru said:

I fish a river with current and have had a fish pushing 50 take a 175 yard or so run before I turned it( i used google earth to gauge the distance from when it went tail up at the end of the run). I have also had one spool me here, took about 220 yards but was in heavy current. Turned it twice and had it to me only for her to shoot down again, fish was easily over 50. More line may have helped but probably would've killed the fish as it would've drug things way out. Have had quite a few take 120-150 yard runs, all fish 30-50+ pounds. 

The current in my river is not as strong as the canal for the most part though, I'd agree with the others that 300+ yards if you fish big current. 

I don’t disagree with your statement but I would argue that your line or drag was  way under gunned. Is it possible that you casted 70 yards and a big girl took another 50 or so, yes. But for even a 50 lb striper to take almost 2 football fields of hard drag is not believable. Most party boat tuna on 60 lb mono take way less than 200 yards.  

Penn 113, 50lb wire line, 8 foot "spoon" rod, Maja spoon, Green, I think.

Let out the 100' of wire, took a pretty big hit at 3.2 kts, 30lb fish, took about another 50' yards of the 50lb mono before it stopped and we winched it was a 5 gallon bucket.

Some of that extra 50' was from the boat slowly idling back after the hit, but regardless, 30lb fish, 150 yards of 50' line out, with a fair amount left on the reel.  Wasn't worried about getting spooled at all.

Probably about 10lbs of drag, but that's just a rough guesstimate. 

Only did a couple of trips like that, and only pulled in 2 or 3 myself.  I think it sucks, and won't fish wire line or those long whippy rods anymore.  I get more than enough of that feeling when I winch the boat up on the trailer at the end of the year.

Most people never ever measure their actual drag. Take one of your striper rods and hook it to a 5 lb weight and it’s crazy how much drag it REALLY is. And that’s the right drag for prob 20 lb test. CraZy

a few years ago fishing in late nov. fishing the inlet on the outside had a fish hit my popper  and on first run took about 80 yards of 30lb braid  on first run got 10 yrds back than it took off for china and took  next 200 yards of line with out stopping   only feel bad because it got my 8,00  popper  till the next time

Personally never seen more than 150 yards out on bass up to 45#.......I just can’t see more than that.  I haven’t fished the canal in 4/5 years but we see some pretty rips up here 4 knots or so. I’ve landed 30 pound bass in them....never at the end of a cast but hardly ever 100 yards of line....jeez the foul hooked 100 pound sturgeon don’t usually pull that much off.....

I was fishing Montauk w/ a 9wt w/ a Hatch reel that had 250yds of 30lb dacron,25lb leader.Whole line cast,2nd strip got hit hard,one headshake and it was off to the races.Drag was 2 clicks away from 10 and went the last two.2/3 of the line on the first run,wallowed and took off again,down to less than 1/4 of the spool before I could turn it.Give and take coming in,more take than give and the hook bent out in the wash.The guy next to me landed a 51 1/2" from the same school.

13 mins ago, Jsnake4 said:

I don’t disagree with your statement but I would argue that your line or drag was  way under gunned. Is it possible that you casted 70 yards and a big girl took another 50 or so, yes. But for even a 50 lb striper to take almost 2 football fields of hard drag is not believable. Most party boat tuna on 60 lb mono take way less than 200 yards.  

No offense but you couldn't be more incorrect.

I'm using a ZB22 with 50 on a 9' Legend, I may be off by 10 yards but no more  for sure. I don't get many that take more than 60-75 yards but have had a few.  I run it locked down pretty hard to prevent this type of thing, this fish had a crazy run in her. After that I thought she was dead as she was pretty lifeless. Not all fishing scenarios are the same, fish that live in current learn to use it to their advantage. 

4 mins ago, slip n slide said:

I was fishing Montauk w/ a 9wt w/ a Hatch reel that had 250yds of 30lb dacron,25lb leader.Whole line cast,2nd strip got hit hard,one headshake and it was off to the races.Drag was 2 clicks away from 10 and went the last two.2/3 of the line on the first run,wallowed and took off again,down to less than 1/4 of the spool before I could turn it.Give and take coming in,more take than give and the hook bent out in the wash.The guy next to me landed a 51 1/2" from the same school.

Ouch. Feel your pain.

None of the bass I've caught were able to pull more than maybe 30 yards max against a tight drag. That first hard run from a cow feels like they take more than they do. 

A hero cast with a 3oz pencil into a hard rip like wasque where you can drift out away from shore? I guess I've had 150+ yards of line out but never hooked up to a pig in that situation. 

I remember drinking a case of beer and drifting a horse of an eel from a sandbar in a strong river current and getting into my backing with more than 300 yards of braid out. So 330 yards is your answer

50-75 yards I'd say on average. Unless I hook up after bombing a heavy needle or tin out 100 yards or so (rare). I always fill with 300 yard spools and only once had to re spool because I lost about 120 yards once when o caught a full and my line cut (bird ended up fine). 

In a lifetime of fishing, open beach, inlet, whatever - I doubt a fish has taken more than 50 yards, and that's probably a stretch. Imho, bass runs (any runs) are incredibly over estimated. My pb was 52", no current, I doubt it took more than ~30 yards. It fought hard but i'd be shoveling some serious bull **** if I said it ran 50 yards.

ps - if you've ever stood on a football field at one endzone and looked to the other end... - I've never had any fish go that far.

6 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

A 500 bft on 100lb test with 33lbs of drag only gets about 200yrd or less out.

Have to assume everyone has their drag set rite here.

My point exactly. But I lost a big girl in river current back in 2002 that took hard drag and got me under a bridge  and in all reality took less then 30 straight yards of line. At the time it felt like 200 yards. Lol. Just go on YouTube and watch guys land 30 and 40 lb bass in the canal and those fish with the right tackle never take that much line. Actually measure real drag and release mortality would decrease as a result. Just my opinion. 

1 min ago, Drew C. said:

In a lifetime of fishing, open beach, inlet, whatever - I doubt a fish has taken more than 50 yards, and that's probably a stretch. Imho, bass runs (any runs) are incredibly over estimated. My pb was 52", no current, I doubt it took more than ~30 yards. It fought hard but i'd be shoveling some serious bull **** if I said it ran 50 yards.

ps - if you've ever stood on a football field at one endzone and looked to the other end... - I've never had any fish go that far.

I 100 percent agree. My PB was only 48” and it was in a river damn current and I had it in my hands in prob less that 3 minutes. Actually way less than 30 yard run.