Southcoastphil

Max amount of line out with hooked striper? I want the TRUTH.

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

Fished an abu 7000 a long while ago, loaded with 50# Micron that I loaded from a bulk spool. Landed a lot of cows and never was anywhere near the bottom of the spool. Thought I had 200 yards of line on the reel. Years later when I was able to measure the line from a bulk spool I discovered I was only able to fit 100 yards of line on it. I guess sometimes what you don’t know won’t hurt you. 

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Wrote a story About this in a recent edition of SJ .  Almost happened to me.  Block Island surf, Penn 704 mono line with 30 yards of mono backing, was into my backing for awhile but eventually landed and released bass.

How much line out, in total, DZ?

With the rite gear and knowledge tuned for the conditions no striper should dump more than 200yrds if that.

Wrong gear/experience and your mileage may vary.

Of course if 100lb bass come back we may need to adjust accordingly. ;)

23 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

I like to hold a good amount of line because you figure your always trimming back when changing leaders, and then the dreaded wind knots that happen occasionally always end up being a good ways down

2 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I'm not talking about "I start each season with X yards, because I know that I'll be cutting back some <50/75/other #> yards as the season goes on."

Howdy, bud!  Doesn't count.

1 hour ago, the3fishheads said:

195yrds 20lb mono on 8000 Baitrunner and 8000 Thunnus fishing boat and beach many bass to high 40lbs, sharks including a white and a thresher 4x that weight never been spooled but did get down pretty close to the bottom a couple times. Did have one lrg bass on the beach probably over 50 get me down real close to the arbor had to palm the spool and she spit the hook.

How much more line would you have needed?

3 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Opinion.  No evidence.

Well I did leave it open with should . Totally qualifies as opinion. There may be a Hercules bass out there. Havent met it yet.

1 hour ago, Fish Guru said:

I fish a river with current and have had a fish pushing 50 take a 175 yard or so run before I turned it( i used google earth to gauge the distance from when it went tail up at the end of the run). I have also had one spool me here, took about 220 yards but was in heavy current. Turned it twice and had it to me only for her to shoot down again, fish was easily over 50. More line may have helped but probably would've killed the fish as it would've drug things way out. Have had quite a few take 120-150 yard runs, all fish 30-50+ pounds. 

The current in my river is not as strong as the canal for the most part though, I'd agree with the others that 300+ yards if you fish big current. 

Thank you.

Maybe the cast and about 50 yards max. In the river where I usually fish I’d have my line around 3 moorings, a channel marker, and a dock if I let a fish run far. I’m feel pretty confident with about 300 yards of 30 lb braid on the reel. Note: the biggest striper I’ve ever taken with that setup was about 38 inches. Don’t know the weight.

1 min ago, the3fishheads said:

Well I did leave it open with should . Totally qualifies as opinion. There may be a Hercules bass out there. Havent met it yet.

What's your max line out?

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

30# PP 50# mono and fish in the 30-40 range in ripping currents is a seasonal occurrance. I've never lost more than 100yds of line. Cross that fishes eyes and dont let up. If you are tying good knots, regularly replace your leaders, and invest in quality gear than you should not let a striped bass take advantage of you. Lighten up on the drag when you have a stronghold on the fight.

The comments on line capacity are generally made by those that read fishing stories and only wish to hook up with a big fish.

Fishing the Cape Cod Canal should not be considered in this discussion because the gear requrements are much different than the majority of the striper coast.

I totally agree. I only have experience with up to a 40 lb striper in strong damn current and that fish prob took less than 50 yards. More like 20 yards with 50lb braid. If you aren’t scared and are confident with your knots I don’t see how a striper can pull anywhere close to 100 yards of 50. They aren’t tuna. I have been witness too many people fight +-30 lb fish and they fight them with prob 6 lbs drag because they want to kill that fishing and those fish take more line. That is prob why the release mortality is so high for recreational anglers. But saying that I will prob get flack from the regulars. The only factor for line capacity for stripers is hooking a big one at the end of a long cast in heavy current. Prob more cows have been caught with 200 yards of 20 lb test mono. 

2 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

What's your max line out?

Post #2. Never over 190yrds. If we get into pin hooking bluefins or lrg yellowfin in the canyon it's a different story. They dump line like a freight train.

As others have said I use straight braid so I can flip my line and so I never have to wish I had more. I have been spooled 2 times but not by a bass. Both times were threshers while boat fishing for bass.