Southcoastphil

Max amount of line out with hooked striper? I want the TRUTH.

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

Yes, I can handle the truth.

In every      single      freekin'      reel thread comes the argument of line capacity.  Statements invariably include (I'm paraphrasing):

"<200/300/other> yards is more than enough for striper fishing, anywhere."

"When I hook a <cow/beast/monster/other term> I don't want to lose it for lack of line.  <300/400/other> yards is the very least amount I have on my reel at all times."

So, what gives?  I'm not talking about "I start each season with X yards, because I know that I'll be cutting back some <50/75/other #> yards as the season goes on."

I want real, HONEST examples/answers.  (yah, right, from a group of fishermen ... )  Remember, this is STRIPERS ONLY.  (To be clear, I am NOT asking about your "preferences" re line capacity because those are just opinions, and you know the rest of that line.)  

Inquiring minds want to know:

• What's the maximum amount of line you've ever had out with a hooked striper?  Describe.
  • How much of that amount was line and how much was backing?
  • What was the line strength (as provided by the mfr.), and the backing strength (if applicable)?
  • Did you land it?
    • If so, congrats! 
      • Tell us the size.
    • If not, how much of that result do you attribute to lack of additional line?
      • If it was primarily due to lack of additional line--which indicates that you were spooled--how much more line do you think would have sufficed?

Now raise your right hand and repeat after me.  "I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth ... "

Have at it fellas.

195yrds 20lb mono on 8000 Baitrunner and 8000 Thunnus fishing boat and beach many bass to high 40lbs, sharks including a white and a thresher 4x that weight never been spooled but did get down pretty close to the bottom a couple times. Did have one lrg bass on the beach probably over 50 get me down real close to the arbor had to palm the spool and she spit the hook.

^^^^most places that would be ok unless Your at the canal slinging a pencil a mile and get tagged by a 30lber. Also, you have to figure breakoffs.  When its crowded it can happen. 300-400 yard braid would be more helpful.  

Edited by The Riddler

Unless you're targeting pelagics line capacity shouldn't really be an issue. I'd have to say maximum I've had out was a little more than 75 yards and this was a hookup right as the lure hit the water and the initial run from a boat. Line out was 30lb braid with either a 20lb or 40lb 3-4ft fluoro leader. Fish was 42" about 30lbs and successfully landed and released. I honestly can't see any striper going over 100 yards but I could be wrong. Guess it all depends as well with how tightly you set your drag. 

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

^^^^most places that would be ok unless Your at the canal slinging a pencil a mile and get tagged by a 30lber. Also, you have to figure breakoffs.  When its crowded it can happen. 300-400 would be more helpful.  

Opinion.  Not direct personal example.

Wrote a story About this in a recent edition of SJ .  Almost happened to me.  Block Island surf, Penn 704 mono line with 30 yards of mono backing, was into my backing for awhile but eventually landed and released bass.

I fish a river with current and have had a fish pushing 50 take a 175 yard or so run before I turned it( i used google earth to gauge the distance from when it went tail up at the end of the run). I have also had one spool me here, took about 220 yards but was in heavy current. Turned it twice and had it to me only for her to shoot down again, fish was easily over 50. More line may have helped but probably would've killed the fish as it would've drug things way out. Have had quite a few take 120-150 yard runs, all fish 30-50+ pounds. 

The current in my river is not as strong as the canal for the most part though, I'd agree with the others that 300+ yards if you fish big current. 

30# PP 50# mono and fish in the 30-40 range in ripping currents is a seasonal occurrance. I've never lost more than 100yds of line. Cross that fishes eyes and dont let up. If you are tying good knots, regularly replace your leaders, and invest in quality gear than you should not let a striped bass take advantage of you. Lighten up on the drag when you have a stronghold on the fight.

The comments on line capacity are generally made by those that read fishing stories and only wish to hook up with a big fish.

Fishing the Cape Cod Canal should not be considered in this discussion because the gear requrements are much different than the majority of the striper coast.

Maybe around 180 to 200 yds at the maximum. This was a monster canal fish that unfortunately after a looooong run and max drag the fish spit the hook. Never saw her, still lose a little sleep over it  :wee:

I haven't had any other fish take more than probably 100yds off.

Like @DragonsLax48 said, I'd have to agree that the majority of fishing guys do here is so different than any canal gear needed. Different best entirely when it comes to capacity/break offs/fray/current etc...

Edited by Kphresh

I don’t think I’ve ever had any more than maybe 20 yards out more than the initial cast.  Stripers don’t really fight that hard unless you’re fishing heavy current like the canal. Even a trash bag would put up a good fight in that current. It’s nothing compared to the blazing runs that an albie will have when first hooked. 

In raritan bay, the most I would have had out was 100’. Even blues fight with longer runs than bass. 

you start fishing current areas that changes some. 

Fight the fish with the correct gear, drag and you will not have a problem keeping a fish short leashed.  

Out front, west wind bunker blitz. Had a 35#+ fish jump on my pencil at the very end of a wind boosted hero cast, then head for Portugal.

I usually get around 275 to 280 yards of braid + backing on my reels - I didn't see anything that resembled backing and this was the most line I've ever had out on a fish.

The reason I max out the braid capacity is so I can flip the line when it's time for fresh.

Edited by Sudsy

I don't want line capacity because I'm afraid of a fish taking line, I want line capacity because I target fish in rocky, snaggy conditions, and break offs and snags are a fact of life. I put 300yrds of braid on most of my reels, light tackle aside. Then I don't have to worry as I break off or cut back my line throughout the season. I'm not much into the ultra light rods and small reels. I like heavy gear, and plenty of line because that's what I know will horse a bass out of a boulder field or turn her in a rip.

That said, on more than one occasion I've dumped well over 200 yrds of line from a VSx 250, drag locked down after a shark decided to take my eel or riggie. Not a bass but still an encounter in the surf.

Edited by Sandbar1

13 lb fish on 8 lb test took almost 100 when being played from a drifting boat, and much to my dismay I realized that my Dad had BACKING put on instead of just spooling with the request to fill the spool with 8 lb Stren.  I nearly crapped when I started to see Dacron.  That was the last time in my life I ever had backing on any of my reels.

I always max out my spools with braid and no backing.  I never want to kick myself in the butt if I lose a big fish because the backing/main line knot got hung in a guide.  Losing a big fish for being cheap is not my idea of good fiscal management.