Cascade

Bikers

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I am looking to convert my mountain bike to a fishing bike. I will be doing little or really no beach riding but some harder packed dirt and gravel roads. I am looking for ideas for rod holder, gear carrier and fish transport. When my son was a toddler I had something called a "tag along" which was more or less a bike trailer, could work? Any pics or ideas would be greatly appreciated for this doldrums undertaking. Thanks in advance.  BTW the distance that I need to cover for the areas I have in mind is less than 3 miles.

Get a rear rack, you can bungee on a basket, carry your gear/ fish in it. Zip tie two 14” pieces of pvc pipe on to the stays that support the rack, one on each side to carry two rods.

3 hours ago, Cascade said:

I am looking to convert my mountain bike to a fishing bike. I will be doing little or really no beach riding but some harder packed dirt and gravel roads. I am looking for ideas for rod holder, gear carrier and fish transport. When my son was a toddler I had something called a "tag along" which was more or less a bike trailer, could work? Any pics or ideas would be greatly appreciated for this doldrums undertaking. Thanks in advance.  BTW the distance that I need to cover for the areas I have in mind is less than 3 miles.

Just when I got used to the new truck, now I have to find a bike. I found one of those trailers in the trash, and stripped it down to the frame. Hoping it will solve my parking to surf in Montauk without the EH permit.

if you get racks get the ones that go on the side of the tires it will help with your center of gravity and getting on and off the bike. Getting one that mounts over a tire and attaching a crate to it will throw off your balance. 

This works for me on my beach bike. I have a similar setup on a skinny tire bike for the ditch. Just make sure you have 2 kickstands and a way to lock your brakes (hair elastics around the brake lever and handlebar work well).

IMG_0926.jpeg

This system has worked for me. I use a milk crate with rod holders attached to store most of my gear and rods. A front metal basket will take my plug bag and coffee. Note the wooden dowel mounted in an angled PVC tube as a kickstand. This is a very important addition to keep your bike sturdy and upright.20180823_074729.jpg.6d09ffc025da5690ab89a385d1e16294.jpg

Marty if you plan on keeping fish,the double side baskets on the rear is the way to go,baskets above the tire are dangerous with a load,unless you like to do a lot of wheelies.have had well over a hundred lbs on the back of my canal bike.i have a front basket for my plug bag,no pictures since i leave my bike on the cape.some pvc tube and hose clamps for my rods

You might find the KS Exa Form manual dropper seatpost convenient for mounting/dismounting, especially if you are wearing waders.  $50.

I think they only come in 2 diameters (30.9mm & 31.6mm) to use calipers to measure and come in 100, 150, and 175mm drop.  If you have bottle cage bosses in the seat tube, the longer versions of this dropper post shaft may not slide all the way down close to the bottom bracket shell so be forewarned.  

Good luck and have fun with the build!

9 hours ago, staktup said:

You might find the KS Exa Form manual dropper seatpost convenient for mounting/dismounting, especially if you are wearing waders.  $50.

I think they only come in 2 diameters (30.9mm & 31.6mm) to use calipers to measure and come in 100, 150, and 175mm drop.  If you have bottle cage bosses in the seat tube, the longer versions of this dropper post shaft may not slide all the way down close to the bottom bracket shell so be forewarned.  

Good luck and have fun with the build!

Thanks that did have me concerned and maybe leaning toward a ladies bike. If I get your drift this would tilt my seat down to make it easier to mount? If yes that could be a home run. My bike's frame is low but the seat sits up high on post to allow for my height. Thanks