Flips

Whats your guy’s opinion on these for the canal?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, Flips said:

The 300 dollars is even better for sure. I’ll stick to the rod I wanted, Im already pushing 200 going upto 300 for me is just killing my wallet.

Fair enough, it all depends on how much and how hard you plan to fish and what your comfortable spending.

3 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Fair enough, it all depends on how much and how hard you plan to fish and what your comfortable spending.

Well thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Look hard at the 10' Star rods Paraflex. Checks all the boxes, best warranty, lower pricing.

Couldn't agree with you more, Gary.

At ~$200 new, I haven't seen a better-made rod with a better warranty (that they actually make very easy for the owner).

I've used three of their rods and I loved them.    The Paraflex line is medium to medium-fast in action, which I find excellent for plugging and all-around use, respectively.

10' rated 1.5 to 5 oz is extremely versatile.  Does everything from tossing SPs to really heaving 3.5 oz plugs.  (It will throw 4 oz, but I let up on my casts just a bit at that weight, because it wasn't my rod.)  With a little bit faster action than the next rod listed, it works well for *swimming* jigs, but it's not fast enough (IMO) to provide the feel needed for bouncing heavy jigs along the bottom.  If I was buying *one* all-around rod to fish everywhere except in the biggest currents, this would be it, hands down.

10'6" rated 3/4 to 4 is an absolute joy to cast, full tide after full tide, in the lure weights most commonly used when striper fishing.  Its moderate action is similar to my Tiralejo (1 to 3 1/2 oz, IIRC), which is my fave plugging rod.  Both sticks top out around 3 oz for hard casting.  I bought the Tiralejo about four years ago when it was on sale at LLBean, so I wasn't concerned about the mfr's warranty because of the lifetime warranty offered by LLB at the time.  Today, absent the LLB warranty, I'd buy the Paraflex.

10'6" rated 2 to 6 is tough to beat for a heavy-plugging stick in big currents.  Moderate-fast action is just soft enough to allow for easy plugging yet stiff enough to swim jigs up to almost 5 oz.  It works for bottom-bouncing jigs (up to ~3 1/2 oz, IMO) in up to moderate currents.    (The only reason I don't own one now is that I bought a used first-gen ODM in that size and action from one of my mates for a ridiculously low price a couple years ago.)   Although I've never tossed eels with the Paraflex, I assume that it would do so as well as the ODM does, given their similar characteristics.  This gets my vote for the best all-around canal rod, because it will do 80% of what one might need in the Ditch, and do it very well.  (To cover the remaining 10% would require the addition of a light plugging rod and a very-fast action jigging stick in the 2 or 3 to 6 or 8 oz range.)

I know that many of my mates have used these rods more than I have, so perhaps they'll chime in.

Excellent points Phil!

I like TFO's too but they don't make them in a 10' and their warranty isn't set up nearly as well.

St. Croix makes a good 10' in the mojo but you pay more, drop down to a 5 year warranty, and lose the Fuji components.

I see the 10' Star rods Paraflex as the best canal all arounder in just about every way. It's true, it isn't optimal for heavy jigging but still do able. For above $200 the comparables all give up something somewhere, I say spend less and get more.

10' is the perfect size, lifetime is the perfect warranty, and $200 is entry level pricing for any sort of true quality.

@Ba Ba Buoy, I bought a used TFO (I forgot the weight specs, something like 1 to 3 1/2 oz or so) about 4 years ago from somebody (?) here.  I thought it was a bit too fast for tossing very light stuff or for dancing pencils and spooks.  For anything else in the 1.5 to 3 oz category it worked fine though. 

Until two of the guides cracked during Dec '16 NJ blitz fishing. 

We're getting hits on every cast and life is good, until I tried to set the hook about an hour into it and "whiffffff".  As in "WTF?  Feels like nothing."  Reel in and find broken braid.  Watching my now-adrift pencil getting smacked every six feet.  Hustle to tie on a fresh leader (which seems to take forever in those situations) and start casting in am attempt to hook my lost plug.  On the third try I got it by, it turned out, having the leader slide into the tiny gap I'd left in the open-eye tail flag.  After catching a couple more fish, line breaks again, I retie, get back at it (now I'm happy to be using my fave/lost/rescued pencil) only to break it off within 15 minutes.  By that point daylight is fading and temps are dropping so I called it quits.  When I got to the Brick parking lot, I looked the rod over carefully and found two (or maybe three) cracked guides.

Nothing but great things to say about TFO warranty.  Called them after getting home on a Thursday and explained what happened and very clearly noted that I'd purchased it used.  Shipped rod pieces out on Saturday, received new rod (upgraded to the blue series) on Friday.  Total cost:  $6.80 for USPS shipping.  Sold it with the tags still on it.

Haven’t fished the lamiglas carbon, but a couple of reviews have it as a parabolic rod. That and 11’ can be a real pain from the rocks to try to get enough room for casting at times. Not trying to dissuade, just not a ton of reviews out there yet and personally I’d strongly consider a rod with a little more history or at least try to make it to a demo day.

I really liked the 10’ Paraflex and the Tfo 10’6” 2-6 oz. can’t go wrong with either although I liked the tfo given the slightly greater length, and I felt it was a tad more enjoyable to fish. I do agree with Phil that I hated trying to fish pencils with the TFO.

Gl with whatever you choose!

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Searobin said:

Haven’t fished the lamiglas carbon, but a couple of reviews have it as a parabolic rod. That and 11’ can be a real pain from the rocks to try to get enough room for casting at times. Not trying to dissuade, just not a ton of reviews out there yet and personally I’d strongly consider a rod with a little more history or at least try to make it to a demo day.

I really liked the 10’ Paraflex and the Tfo 10’6” 2-6 oz. can’t go wrong with either although I liked the tfo given the slightly greater length, and I felt it was a tad more enjoyable to fish. I do agree with Phil that I hated trying to fish pencils with the TFO.

Gl with whatever you choose!

Thanks for the info, I’ve been going through rods to rods but right now I’m just eyeing on either some sort of tsunami or the paraflex 10’6mh 

Edited by Flips

12 mins ago, Flips said:

Thanks for the info, I’ve been going through rods to rods but right now I’m just eyeing on either some sort of tsunami or the paraflex 10’6mh 

Either would be solid choices, try to handle them both in person before making your decision.

15 hours ago, Flips said:

FYI, when I was researching rods in 2016 and 2017 I saw many posts (here and elsewhere) that the AirWave rods (not AirWave Elites) were prone to breaking. Given my timeframe, those comments probably referred to rods made in the 2013-2016 period, but I honestly don't recall.  Perhaps the mfr has addressed that since then.

Several anglers have noted that a small circumferential crack appeared in the tapered coating just above the foregrip in their Elite rods.  The consensus response here was that it was purely cosmetic, and caused by flexing the rigid epoxy.  Again, no idea if it has been addressed or not, or if it's even worthy of any concern.

At that time I was also looking for a Ditch jigging stick, and I bought a used (I'm a cheap bastage when it comes to spending $$ on rods) Elite (10' XH, rated 3-6 oz).   I've used it relentlessly since then for jigging 4 to 5 oz of lead in the Ditch with no functional problems whatsoever on 20s to 30s in big current.  I don't remember if it has that cosmetic crack or not, but I don't care.  It's very fast, stiff as a pool cue, and has plenty of muscle, which makes it perfect for my specific jigging needs.  YMMV.

Edited by Southcoastphil

On 2/13/2020 at 10:29 PM, captahab416 said:

i forgot about star rods truthfully, the paraflex would be a great choice as well

I found a person on letgo selling one for $140 he offered to show me the rod in person and it seems extremely cheap for what the price is but I will haves look at it

Nice, that’s about the going rate for a used paraflex or airwave elite since a few might have one as a backup rod. Going the new route I’d get the TFO. Let us know how you do, if you decide to hold off for now and we are able to get a ditch trolls casting event together this year, I can bring the 3-6 elite and the 2-6 TFO for you to cast. Unfortunately traded my paraflex otherwise you could have had a true side by side by side comparison. 

Edited by Searobin

39 mins ago, Searobin said:

Nice, that’s about the going rate for a used paraflex or airwave elite since a few might have one as a backup rod. Going the new route I’d get the TFO. Let us know how you do, if you decide to hold off for now and we are able to get a ditch trolls casting event together this year, I can bring the 3-6 elite and the 2-6 TFO for you to cast. Unfortunately traded my paraflex otherwise you could have had a true side by side by side comparison. 

Yea I asked why he was selling for so low and he explained that he was trying to sell it to upgrade to a Shimano tirajelo. I currently don’t have the money but, told him that I’m just looking around as of now. He also was kind enough to show me that a fishing flea market was going to be held on the 22 so that’s good aswell.