Flips

Whats your guy’s opinion on these for the canal?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

that is waaaaayyy too much rod IMO. I think you'd be happier in the long run looking at some of the tsunami airwave elites or even the tsunami trophy 2 if its a money thing. Thinking something in the 2-6 or 3-8oz range.  Maybe one of the new carbon surfs from lamiglas. I'd use that ocean master if I was chunking seals from the beach for great whites. 

As far as reels go I'm always in favor of having at least 300 yards of whatever # braid I'm using. I'm out there fishing for sea monsters and if by chance I do hook some fish of a lifetime I'm surely not going to lose it because I didn't have enough line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

I agree but i will say that my daiwa saltist 4500 (fancy bg) works ok, but its a little light on line cap and developed a "tick" while jigging.  Id stick with the 5k.

 

I would also say that thise poles are a bit long for fishing the riprap and probably heavier than you would like.  I fished an 11 foot airwave for a season and found it just a little too long.  I like a 10 foot rod at the canal.

I wanted to get a pole for surf fishing aswell as the canal, either way I’ll probably pass by some bait shops near the canal and see the collections of rods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, Flips said:

I wanted to get a pole for surf fishing aswell as the canal, either way I’ll probably pass by some bait shops near the canal and see the collections of rods

There’s a huge difference in a rod just for the Canal that throws 6-10 oz and a surf rod that’s rated up to 3 oz. On the one side you could have an all purpose rod like a Lamiglas GSB and fish the Ditch with it but you will have to put in a greater physical effort in landing a good fish compared to a fast action rod that has more backbone to fight fish, current, and depth. 
 

In regards to the local shops, which are great resources and I fully recommend everyone to get to know them, a couple of them make Canal rods. PM me if you want more information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, captahab416 said:

that is waaaaayyy too much rod IMO. I think you'd be happier in the long run looking at some of the tsunami airwave elites or even the tsunami trophy 2 if its a money thing. Thinking something in the 2-6 or 3-8oz range.  Maybe one of the new carbon surfs from lamiglas. I'd use that ocean master if I was chunking seals from the beach for great whites. 

As far as reels go I'm always in favor of having at least 300 yards of whatever # braid I'm using. I'm out there fishing for sea monsters and if by chance I do hook some fish of a lifetime I'm surely not going to lose it because I didn't have enough line. 

What about the offshore angler ocean master 10’mh rated at 3-8oz. The smaller version of the 12’ monster rod.. I want to have a all around beach and canal rod. I’ve been deciding either on this one or a tsunami elite but that’s up there in price compared to this at $160

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

There’s a huge difference in a rod just for the Canal that throws 6-10 oz and a surf rod that’s rated up to 3 oz. On the one side you could have an all purpose rod like a Lamiglas GSB and fish the Ditch with it but you will have to put in a greater physical effort in landing a good fish compared to a fast action rod that has more backbone to fight fish, current, and depth. 
 

In regards to the local shops, which are great resources and I fully recommend everyone to get to know them, a couple of them make Canal rods. PM me if you want more information.

I just made this account recently so I’m not able to pm yet. Would love to know what you would get as like a $100-250 Rod. I’m already set on a daiwa 5k to go with.

Just checked out the Laglimas Carbon Surf 11' Heavy Canal Rod an looks sutiable since it’s made for the canal

Edited by Flips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Line cap from same site for BG5K:

480/40
360/50
310/65

 

I had mine spooled with enough backing to accept 300 yards of 40.  I *might* have had 175 yards out for a handful of times.

If you manage to actually land a fish with 175 yds of line out at the Canal, I'd like to watch. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

There's not a snowball's chance that you'll ever need a BG6500 for striper fishing in the ditch, or anywhere else.  BG5000 is more than enough.  I have a 5000, as do many of my friends.  Great reels for the money.  A BG4500 will also work fine.  

totaly agree, 4500 or 5000 is enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flips said:

I just made this account recently so I’m not able to pm yet. Would love to know what you would get as like a $100-250 Rod. I’m already set on a daiwa 5k to go with.

Just checked out the Laglimas Carbon Surf 11' Heavy Canal Rod an looks sutiable since it’s made for the canal

I think I paid just over three for a Canal rod at CMS that was built on a Batson Rainshadow blank. Plus I have a GSB 1201 M from them that I take with me everywhere that was around the same price. There’s a huge difference in the fight... in fact it’s like cheating with the Rainshadow. 
 

Check the sell and trade thread too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, heyblue34 said:

I think I paid just over three for a Canal rod at CMS that was built on a Batson Rainshadow blank. Plus I have a GSB 1201 M from them that I take with me everywhere that was around the same price. There’s a huge difference in the fight... in fact it’s like cheating with the Rainshadow. 
 

Check the sell and trade thread too.

Honestly Im not at the point to commit to expensive stuff just trying to get some

mid range stuff until I get better at fishing canal/surfishing. Just started it last year and was a fun ass time with my friends and became an awesome hobbie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flips said:

What about the offshore angler ocean master 10’mh rated at 3-8oz. The smaller version of the 12’ monster rod.. I want to have a all around beach and canal rod. I’ve been deciding either on this one or a tsunami elite but that’s up there in price compared to this at $160

Lamiglas carbon surf Or tsunami trophy 2 would be good choices in that range 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, captahab416 said:

Lamiglas carbon surf Or tsunami trophy 2 would be good choices in that range 

I think I’m set on a Lamiglas Carbon Surf 11' Heavy Canal Rod with a daiwa bg 5000 and my friend wants the same rod with either a slammer 3 6500 or the hs version of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flips said:

I just made this account recently so I’m not able to pm yet. Would love to know what you would get as like a $100-250 Rod. I’m already set on a daiwa 5k to go with.

Just checked out the Laglimas Carbon Surf 11' Heavy Canal Rod an looks sutiable since it’s made for the canal

For right around $250 a 10'6" TFO rod would be perfect for all around canal use or get the 11' if you plan to do more jigging. Either would pair up nicely with a 5k BG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or check out the New ODM DNA 11' 3-8 oz rod, available in April. I'll tell you, the DNA is a fantastic rod at an even better price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Or check out the New ODM DNA 11' 3-8 oz rod, available in April. I'll tell you, the DNA is a fantastic rod at an even better price.

The 300 dollars is even better for sure. I’ll stick to the rod I wanted, Im already pushing 200 going upto 300 for me is just killing my wallet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.