Flips

Whats your guy’s opinion on these for the canal?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Recently me and my buddy Matt have been going to the canal with our combos from cabelas but this year we want to step it up, Matt wants to buy a slammer 3 hs with an offshore angler ocean master 12’h surf rod. I want to get a daiwa bg 6500 also with same rod, is the rod good for the canal because it can throw 6-12oz but i don’t know if it will do good with the lower end 3oz minnows and savage eels. Also if anyone has some good reels in the $100-200 range tell me thanks!

Edited by Flips

@Flips Both reels are well established but I cannot speak for an Offshore Angler rod. If you are looking for a low cost Ditch rod check out Tica Dolphin . Alternatively, if you want a quality beast of a Ditch rod go to C&M in New Bedford where they make them.

1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

@Flips Both reels are well established but I cannot speak for an Offshore Angler rod. If you are looking for a low cost Ditch rod check out Tica Dolphin . Alternatively, if you want a quality beast of a Ditch rod go to CMS in New Bedford where they make them.

FIFY.

3 hours ago, Flips said:

Recently me and my buddy Matt have been going to the canal with our combos from cabelas but this year we want to step it up, Matt wants to buy a slammer 3 hs with an offshore angler ocean master 12’h surf rod. I want to get a daiwa bg 6500 also with same rod, is the rod good for the canal because it can throw 6-12oz but i don’t know if it will do good with the lower end 3oz minnows and savage eels. Also if anyone has some good reels in the $100-200 range tell me thanks!

There's not a snowball's chance that you'll ever need a BG6500 for striper fishing in the ditch, or anywhere else.  BG5000 is more than enough.  I have a 5000, as do many of my friends.  Great reels for the money.  A BG4500 will also work fine.  

2 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

There's not a snowball's chance that you'll ever need a BG6500 for striper fishing in the ditch, or anywhere else.  BG5000 is more than enough.  I have a 5000, as do many of my friends.  Great reels for the money.  A BG4500 will also work fine.  

I agree but i will say that my daiwa saltist 4500 (fancy bg) works ok, but its a little light on line cap and developed a "tick" while jigging.  Id stick with the 5k.

I would also say that thise poles are a bit long for fishing the riprap and probably heavier than you would like.  I fished an 11 foot airwave for a season and found it just a little too long.  I like a 10 foot rod at the canal.

1 min ago, Southcoastphil said:

@pogie_boy do you often need over 300 yards of 40#?

Capacities just now copied from TD site:

340/40
270/50
230/65

Pockets, seams, rips, beach lip, sand bars, and boulder fields. How many days until the inside of my truck starts to smell bad again?

Line cap from same site for BG5K:

480/40
360/50
310/65

I had mine spooled with enough backing to accept 300 yards of 40.  I *might* have had 175 yards out for a handful of times.

Just now, heyblue34 said:

Pockets, seams, rips, beach lip, sand bars, and boulder fields. How many days until the inside of my truck starts to smell bad again?

Depends what's in your pockets, buddy.

2 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

@pogie_boy do you often need over 300 yards of 40#?

Capacities just now copied from TD site:

340/40
270/50
230/65

I fish 30 lb fireline and have never fit more than 250 yards on the 4500.  Or do i have a 4k?

Just now, pogie_boy said:

I fish 30 lb fireline and have never fit more than 250 yards on the 4500.  Or do i have a 4k?

I cannot answer that for you.

Check out Star Rods, or the Tsunami Airwave or Airwave elite rods. 11' 3-8 oz or something in that range would be a good place to start. 

I'd suggest going with the 5k BG, it's not exactly about line capacity or drag, more that the 5k will have a larger frame and shaft and stand up to heavy jigging over time better than a smaller reel. I've found the 5k balances extremely well on most 10'6" and  11' rods out there.

As has already been mentioned the 65k is overkill for the ditch and imo better suited to say, beach sharking or heavy chunking.