mattyice902

Is clean lobstering possible?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if it was possible to throw a few pots and lobster in a clean way. I’m only looking to put out 1-2 pots. I just don’t want to destroy my boat doing it. I’ve seen guys in center consoles like mine using a mat and hand pulling them over the side. What level of mess is that going to be. Is it practical to weekend warrior the traps and take them out completely after like 12 hours. Thinking that maybe cuts down on the growth and crap that would grow on the traps and rope. Maybe I’m blowing the mess/wear and tear out of proportion? I’ve only pulled lobster traps that I’ve had got lures stuck on but they were filthy. I realize I’m probably not going to be catching a ton of lobsters. Just kind of want to dip a toe in the water. Could you just send one of those wire light duty crab/lobster traps like very short term have some success. Not even sure those traps are legal for lobstering. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, mattyice902 said:

I was wondering if it was possible to throw a few pots and lobster in a clean way. I’m only looking to put out 1-2 pots. I just don’t want to destroy my boat doing it. I’ve seen guys in center consoles like mine using a mat and hand pulling them over the side. What level of mess is that going to be. Is it practical to weekend warrior the traps and take them out completely after like 12 hours. Thinking that maybe cuts down on the growth and crap that would grow on the traps and rope. Maybe I’m blowing the mess/wear and tear out of proportion? I’ve only pulled lobster traps that I’ve had got lures stuck on but they were filthy. I realize I’m probably not going to be catching a ton of lobsters. Just kind of want to dip a toe in the water. Could you just send one of those wire light duty crab/lobster traps like very short term have some success. Not even sure those traps are legal for lobstering. 

Definitely over thinking this.  If you're only hauling/baiting 1-2 pots there isn't much of mess at all.  The commercial guys you're looking at are hauling around 200 traps per day, so divide their "dirt" by 200.

Just prebait your bait bags ashore and bring them aboard in a bucket.  Set up a removable table to open the trap, take out the lobsters, bait and rebait.  Or, if you boat and conditions allow, never bring the trap in the boat, just hang over the side and attend to it.

Edited by Roccus7

25 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Definitely over thinking this.  If you're only hauling/baiting 1-2 pots there isn't much of mess at all.  The commercial guys you're looking at are hauling around 200 traps per day, so divide their "dirt" by 200.

Just prebait your bait bags ashore and bring them aboard in a bucket.  Set up a removable table to open the trap, take out the lobsters, bait and rebait.  Or, if you boat and conditions allow, never bring the trip in the boat, just hang over the side and attend to it.

Well said:)

You can make mobile chafing gear out of plywood and a 2x4 or too......pretty easy really.........If you get stuck....shoot me a pm and I will diagram it for ya...........

I’ve had a rec lobster license since I was 18, and did it with my pop for 10 years before that. So in my almost 40 years of experience I can honestly say that clean lobstering is not possible over the course of a season. 
When you first sink them they will be spotless but after 1 month of sunshine the rope alone will trash your boat. I would even kill the growth with a quick dip in diluted bleach solution. If you have a carpeted boat, BUY your lobsters. If you want to soak a trap just for a day and then pull it out then that might be possible but will the catch make the hassle worthwhile? 

4 hours ago, giggyfish said:

I’ve had a rec lobster license since I was 18, and did it with my pop for 10 years before that. So in my almost 40 years of experience I can honestly say that clean lobstering is not possible over the course of a season. 
When you first sink them they will be spotless but after 1 month of sunshine the rope alone will trash your boat. I would even kill the growth with a quick dip in diluted bleach solution. If you have a carpeted boat, BUY your lobsters. If you want to soak a trap just for a day and then pull it out then that might be possible but will the catch make the hassle worthwhile? 

Well said:):)