Sweetwater

ABU question

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

So I got another pro racket today and despite having had a bunch of Ambassadeurs over the years, this is my first one with a six pin centrifugal brake. 

With the two pin versions, I I just take the blocks off altogether and replace them if I sell or give away the reel. Has anyone done this with the 6 pin version? I'm pretty sure I will be fine, but there is always the chance that there is a trick I don't know about. 

10 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

So I got another pro racket today and despite having had a bunch of Ambassadeurs over the years, this is my first one with a six pin centrifugal brake. 

With the two pin versions, I I just take the blocks off altogether and replace them if I sell or give away the reel. Has anyone done this with the 6 pin version? I'm pretty sure I will be fine, but there is always the chance that there is a trick I don't know about. 

If you push in the blocks you don't want to use, they will stay put. No need to remove them

20 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

Yes you can remove all the blocks from the carrier, but you cannot remove the carrier itself. The carrier is your bearing retainer.... If your feeling crafty, you can remove the carrier, take off the blocks and dermal off the six block supports, and put the carrier/retainer  back on. But I don’t really see that giving you much of an increase in RPM’s or “ slickery” :D

Lol, there are other steps to get to slickery. It's not about rpm's either. I only want my spool to spin at the speed the lure is taking line from it. 

l tune my Ambassadeurs as fast as possible to minimize the spool starting inertia so I can focus on my timing, rod angle and release point without trying to force anything. For what I am doing, the engaged level wind is a sufficient brake. 

On 2/11/2020 at 5:13 PM, Sweetwater said:

Lol, there are other steps to get to slickery. It's not about rpm's either. I only want my spool to spin at the speed the lure is taking line from it. 

l tune my Ambassadeurs as fast as possible to minimize the spool starting inertia so I can focus on my timing, rod angle and release point without trying to force anything. For what I am doing, the engaged level wind is a sufficient brake. 

Did you look at any of the JapanTackle custom spools? 

On 2/11/2020 at 3:13 PM, Sweetwater said:

I like that. You justified the use of a L/W on a tuned reel. That's reel good! lol

I'm into the tuning myself with the polishing business. :howdy:

13 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I like that. You justified the use of a L/W on a tuned reel. That's reel good! lol

I'm into the tuning myself with the polishing business. :howdy:

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, and I don't think you are. Let me say it another way: because the level wind is always present, I want to minimize other impediments to getting my spool up ad running when I release my thumb. By slickery I mean that when I turn the handle sharply with the mechanical brake turned down, it will continue to spin until te level wind has gone back and forth 2 1/2- 3 times. 

3 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, and I don't think you are. Let me say it another way: because the level wind is always present, I want to minimize other impediments to getting my spool up ad running when I release my thumb. By slickery I mean that when I turn the handle sharply with the mechanical brake turned down, it will continue to spin until te level wind has gone back and forth 2 1/2- 3 times. 

No sarcasm, I don't believe in sarcasm. 

I understand about what you're doing. I used to build Custom Abu's and service them, years ago. I had to give that up more or less because I changed careers a while back. But I do fine tune my own.:howdy:

There was a real I built from the frame up. about 10 years ago. It was perfect, as you say slick. I matched the bearings perfectly, the L/W had perfect bearings and the idler gear. That line carriage would travel back and forth about 21/2 times, engaged. If I spun the handle and hit the line out button, the carriage would travel more. It was one smooth reel.

I was thinking, as we posted, to do one good one like that again. :howdy: One perfect Abu 

Edited by jimmy z

2 hours ago, jimmy z said:

There was a real I built from the frame up. about 10 years ago. It was perfect, as you say slick. I matched the bearings perfectly, the L/W had perfect bearings and the idler gear. That line carriage would travel back and forth about 21/2 times, engaged. If I spun the handle and hit the line out button, the carriage would travel more. It was one smooth reel.

I was thinking, as we posted, to do one good one like that again. :howdy: One perfect Abu 

I would like to see that in the reel maintenance forum. Like a play by play..........

3 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I would like to see that in the reel maintenance forum. Like a play by play..........

Just have to find the time. I used to do a lot of break down s and pics years ago:howdy: