Starsnstripes

To strip or not to strip...MY CTS S7

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Vinny, thanks for the input, truly appreciated. Yeah, at this point given all the feedback I'm thinking I'll leave it as is & give it a go. Now just have to decide which bait casting reel to go with. Looking at the suggested ones as well as a Diawa lexa in 400 size maybe.

3 hours ago, Starsnstripes said:

Vinny, thanks for the input, truly appreciated. Yeah, at this point given all the feedback I'm thinking I'll leave it as is & give it a go. Now just have to decide which bait casting reel to go with. Looking at the suggested ones as well as a Diawa lexa in 400 size maybe.

I have the same rod in the 13' version and I only use it to throw 8oz and bait for drum/sharks with conventional reels.  If you are you going to be working plugs I feel like it would be hard to level wind at the same time.  With a conventional reel you need to lay the line down from left to right with your thumb, I feel like that would be tough if you are focusing on a lure.  If you don't lay the line down perfectly your next cast will suffer.

But at the same time, casting with a level wind is not ideal for distance.  How heavy of a lure are you throwing?  You need to throw at least 5 oz's to get that rod to load for max distance. 

I would keep the rod for soaking bait and learn how to throw conventional.  A first Gen Fathom 12/15 is a VERY easy reel to throw.  Get yourself a dedicated spinning set up for throwing plugs. 

Edited by animalbarrie

I wouldn't hesitate to change it over by adding or changing the size of the first two guides, not a big deal.... That spine comment above is completely wrong don't let it scare you. The length of the butt would be my concern, most people like a little longer handle for a conv heaver like that, so potentially you could trim a bit if it's longer than you like for a spinner. Don't go cutting of the reel seat and fore grip, that's where all the headaches start

On 10.2.2020. at 10:11 PM, bronson said:

dont do it........trade or sell it....before you do anything try casting it w spin reel and 20lb braid.  you may be surprised   way to sweet a rod to go frankenrod

× 2

They admire those here. CTS in general.

Stripping the rod is certainly doable. As others said, it is a good amount of work. On my personal re-do's I do not worry about the remains of the old finish on the rods. For me, it's not the effort. In this situation you could probably spare the runners so it might not be too bad. 

Just another opinion you didn't ask for ... I wouldn't do it on that expensive and nice looking of a rod. It is a lot of work. And no matter how careful and what method you use, it won't look very good. 

Spinners with braid can work just fine on a conventional rod, mono works ok, but the coils can hang up on the first guide. LWs do add some friction and a slight distance loss, but.... The perfect line lay they afford (especially after a fish) allow you to hit every cast hard. A less than perfect thumb line lay will also cut into the distance of your next cast.

You purchased a top of the line conventional heaver at a crazy good price.  Congratulations! Buy a gen 1 penn fathom 12 or 15, Better yet buy 2.  They can be had at deep discounts right now.  Make sure at least 4 of the brakes are engaged.  Buy a bulk spool of 16 lb test Berkeley pro spec mono and some 50lb trilene big game. Learn how to tie a shockleader.  Rig both reels and practice casting smoothly.  By June, you will be proficient enough to catch a few fish with it.  Soon enough you will have to speed the reel up.  Good luck.