Starsnstripes

To strip or not to strip...MY CTS S7

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

So I just bought my first CTS rod from a fellow member recently, It's the CTS S7 SV1205 12'  6-10 oz. model. My objective was to find a light, high quality, beefy rod to heave bait & a sinker 90-95% of the time & occasionally use it for bigger plugs or jigging with it if I travel out of Jersey (think The Canal, Montauk, Carolina's for drum, Mexico Roosterfish, etc) I think it would be manageable for that, seems like an awesome rod!....  The title said conventional but I clearly missed that part. I realized it was a bait caster when I met the gentleman to pick it up, Duh! Anyway I was so impressed with it & the fact I felt I got it @ such a discount on it versus If I ordered one from them or had a blank done up so decided to take it home anyway & figure out what to do later. Now I've been spin fishing all my life & the only time I've used bait casting reels is for fluking or jigging bottom fish. I've only ever tried casting them a couple of times which only lead to awful birds nests! So my question to you more experienced guys or even rod builders out there is do I go for the extra expense of having it stripped & set up for me as spinning surf rod (which I would prefer) & what the estimated cost of that would be. Or do I just get a good bait casting reel for it & just learn to do it that way? I'm totally clueless in regard to Bait casting reels & would be open to your opinions of which reel (bait caster) would match up well with the rod if I decided to go that route. Make, size etc. also would I be at a disadvantage as far as casting distance with a bait casting reel vs spinning reel?

Maybe I should look to trade for something similar for set up I'm more comfortable with?

Just curious as to your thoughts & comments on this. Thanks in advance!

I've include pics of the rod, it was a build by Lou Caruso.

IMG_0768.JPG.2ab9543dd605a5272c2f22472203dd65.jpg

IMG_0773.JPG.b203cc6f43e5f9c212c09cacff85dd06.jpg

dont do it........trade or sell it....before you do anything try casting it w spin reel and 20lb braid.  you may be surprised   way to sweet a rod to go frankenrod

Get yourself a Penn Fathom 15 and put all of the magnets on (you  have to open the reel to do it) and learn to cast conventional.  I would not go to the expense of converting that rod. 

Personally I don't throw over 5 ounces with a spinner. I use a modified pendulum cast and can't hold braid with my finger, even with tape or guard over that weight. I learned how to throw conventional 30 years ago with an Abu 9000, and have never looked back. I feel this is a very user friendly reel for a beginner. I also believe that you will achieve overall more distance in the 6-10 range using a conv reel. Opinions on this site will vary and may be opposite to my experience.

I have converted a few rods, but they were usually an old build (10+ years old), with old glue holding the reel seat, or was lucky that the reel seats were large enough to allow ample clearance when cutting them off with a dremel. 

You will need to replace the reel seat to spine the rod opposite of it's current orientation for  a spinner. If you are not prepared to do that, I wouldn't make the change at all. This conversion also requires stripping the front grip and  possibly moving the new reel seat further down on the blank, depending on set-up.

You will also end up stripping all the under wraps, because your spinning layout wont match, this will leave ugly remnants. Some of this can be buffed out with alcohol, or other, but it will still show and can kill resale value.

Also, if the guides were heavily epoxied,  you risk slipping with your exacto blade and cutting the blank, which could blow up later, especially at the thin end of the blank on the smaller guides.

Best of luck with your project. Bravo

Catch, thanks for the info, i'll have to take a look at that reel.

Bravo, very insightful answer to my question & gives me a much better idea of what I would be in for to convert it. Sounds like I would have to go all the way or leave it as is.

Much appreciated gentlemen!

Having stripped & rebuilt many rods I can tell you firsthand that it’s a lot of work - much more than starting with a new blank. This will add substantial cost to the build & the finish will likely not survive the process. All of the rebuilds I’ve done were stripped to the bare graphite & refinished. Good luck with whatever you decide!