tpp23201

Smack It Jr. Popper

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

My favorite springtime popper is the Smack It Jr from Stillwater Lures.  It is 3 3/4 "  long,  3/4 Oz., and rattles.  So far I cannot find any at any tackle shop or online.

Anyone have an idea of a popper that is similar that they found very productive?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've yet to find a popper that is similar in shape and works as well. I have several poppers that I've done well with, but they're either larger or smaller and heavier or lighter. I like the Pop R's, but use them mostly for LM bass. I used to fish tidal creeks in MD and that was always a good lure and I caught Stripers on them too. Wasn't a lure I used in the surf.

The Yozuri Hydro & Creek Chub Knuckle Head Jr poppers have been the next best thing for me, but are slightly different sizes & weights. The 90MM Hydro is 7/8 oz, 3 1/2". The Knuckle Head Jr is 4" and 5/8 oz. I change the hooks on the Knuckle Head too. The hooks on the Hydro have been fine. 

I found a cheap popper at Bass Pro, they call it a Tourney Special, but it's lighter and doesn't cast as well. The hooks & split rings on it are terrible too, so have to be upgraded. I've caught schoolie size Stripers on it but nothing bigger. 3 1/8", 1/3 oz. They're under $3, so was worth trying. 

I also have two other poppers, one was sold by Al's Goldfish Lure Co., and they no longer carry it. I only have it in solid black. The other, the same exact lure, sold by Strike Pro Lures, and they no longer have it. That one has a gold finish. These again are slightly bigger lures, more like the size of the Smack It, not the Jr. 

Lonely Angler has a decent popper too. Again, they're bigger. 

None of these lures are like the Smack It Jr unfortunately, but I have caught fish on them. 

The bottom popper in the first pic is a Tourney Special. The second photo is of the "Admiral Al" that was sold by Al's. Third photo is of Lonely Angler poppers. 4th photo is a Knuckle Head Jr.

100_4309.JPG

Admiral Al Popper.jpg

Lonely Angler Poppers.jpg

100_5277.JPG

Edited by Jim H

I love these poppers my go to for sure in skinny water. I bought about 20, a few years ago and only have 2 unopened. you can find them if you look hard enough. I was really hoping she would start building again.

They had some at a table at Surf Day in NJ.  I went, saw the table, and told myself not to forget to go back to buy some.  I forgot.  :banghd:

SMACKS ITS . I sold all I has except one which went on the wall …. the small & the large    new & used . here & e.bay  .someone paid $58   for two large ,

at this age I,m taking the money  & using gags grabbers  or weighless  soft plastic ><>,

On 2/10/2020 at 1:11 PM, Jim H said:

I've yet to find a popper that is similar in shape and works as well. I have several poppers that I've done well with, but they're either larger or smaller and heavier or lighter. I like the Pop R's, but use them mostly for LM bass. I used to fish tidal creeks in MD and that was always a good lure and I caught Stripers on them too. Wasn't a lure I used in the surf.

The Yozuri Hydro & Creek Chub Knuckle Head Jr poppers have been the next best thing for me, but are slightly different sizes & weights. The 90MM Hydro is 7/8 oz, 3 1/2". The Knuckle Head Jr is 4" and 5/8 oz. I change the hooks on the Knuckle Head too. The hooks on the Hydro have been fine. 

I found a cheap popper at Bass Pro, they call it a Tourney Special, but it's lighter and doesn't cast as well. The hooks & split rings on it are terrible too, so have to be upgraded. I've caught schoolie size Stripers on it but nothing bigger. 3 1/8", 1/3 oz. They're under $3, so was worth trying. 

I also have two other poppers, one was sold by Al's Goldfish Lure Co., and they no longer carry it. I only have it in solid black. The other, the same exact lure, sold by Strike Pro Lures, and they no longer have it. That one has a gold finish. These again are slightly bigger lures, more like the size of the Smack It, not the Jr. 

Lonely Angler has a decent popper too. Again, they're bigger. 

None of these lures are like the Smack It Jr unfortunately, but I have caught fish on them. 

The bottom popper in the first pic is a Tourney Special. The second photo is of the "Admiral Al" that was sold by Al's. Third photo is of Lonely Angler poppers. 4th photo is a Knuckle Head Jr.

100_4309.JPG

Admiral Al Popper.jpg

Lonely Angler Poppers.jpg

100_5277.JPG

1st picture. The 2&3 look like Atoms Striper swipes.   Bob Pond copies

It pop up once in awhile on Tackledirect, just have to check on it cause it sell out in a week. I luckily score 2-3 of it this winter. 

I sold everyone I had this past winter  except one for the wall .

new , used , ulta used ………. bidding wars like  stupid fishing .   

even sold some here ..otherwise E/B

personally .I don,t know  . but there was a shortage last years & guy s  went crazy paying crazy prices  for them .used, new , abused  , the full size & the junior ...I,m at a ge I,m trying to get rid of stuff & nornally I would have kept a couple , but at the prices they paid , I get one beat up one for the wall .  I thought by the beginning of this year they were back on the market .don,t know if they wee know off or not ><><.