Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shu

Anyone familiar with slide baiting technique

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Need some advice guys, I think slide baiting works the best if there is a height advantage like a cliff or rock side but all of NJ beaches are fairly flat. Not sure if I get a vs 300 spool it with 100lb briad with 40 lb top shot will able to slide a piece of bait 100 yd out

I read something somewhere a long time ago I think they called it a bosun rig. You cast your sinker out then take a heavy snap swivel with a length of leader and hook, use live bait  and attach the snap to the line and let it slide down the line, the snap won’t slide over the sinker and the bait is free to swim up and down the line.  I never tried it but I read about it somewhere .

There's a trolley and a slide bait. Trolley uses a snap, usually live bait. A slide bait uses a no return clip, you can make them or purchase online. It will slide down but not back up the line. A good sputnick weight with a band or two on it makes using dead bait alot easier, you can pull tight and shake it but not have to deal with legs sticking like a spider weight. Nice with live bait as well, keeps it tighter and in place. Mono is the name of the game, no braid.

Like others have noted, I have seen the trolley rig version used from elevated piers in Florida using two rods. One rod, the anchor rod, is used to cast a sputnik type sinker far from the pier. The sinker is pulled, anchored for a good set. Nice elevation is obtained with a good cast from an elevated pier allowing for a steep incline to slide a bait rig to water surface. Second rod, fighting rod is prepared with live bait and swivel/wire rigs, different types, that is designed to slide down anchor line to water surface to present live bait fish on surface etc. Rig is designed to break away from anchor line when the targeted fish hits. 

Always heard it called a breeches buoy rig. Or something similar. I’ve tried it off the beach w live bait a few times. Works ok. 

Look up Aussie slides and sputnik sinkers......

Scrap the vs 300...go conventional.

In California, It’s a popular way to fish from piers during the Bonita run. Big sinker, slide a swivel with leader and a live anchovy down the line. As others have said, it requires elevation. 

It doesn't always require elevation. It is sometimes done at fairly level beaches. There a long rod would be used and very likely a weighted non-return slider would be used. A lot of shaking may need to be done to get the bait out there. 

20 hours ago, Kent I said:

In California, It’s a popular way to fish from piers during the Bonita run. Big sinker, slide a swivel with leader and a live anchovy down the line. As others have said, it requires elevation. 

I grew up on the piers of So Cal doing this.  It was a great way to present baits, you could fish a live bait up top or allow a dead bait to drift all the way down the line to the sinker.  Caught many different species this way.

As Scooby says look up aussie slide. Don't need much elevation It is made to go one way down, needs action wave current ect. You need slide stop ring and sinker with wire to grab bottom. Reel line and pole has to match weight of bait to keep I taut.

I just use this. Cast the sinker out as far as you can, and slide this in to the main line. A clip for the leader n hook. Must be live bait, so it can swim up n down the line.

1581666910631783845167538620562.jpg

15816669684014229045370011135913.jpg