Steve in Mass

"Wild" Atlantic Salmon?

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2020 at 8:14 AM, Steve in Mass said:

The Market Basket ad for this week shows Wild Atlantic Salmon of $8.99/lb.

Salmon.png.2c8529b70e3096f9da15c9a6cc7f8ee6.png

In attempting to find the flavor profile compared to the various Pacific types, I also found that Wild Atlantic Salmon is hardly EVER retailed due to over-fishing, and that 99% of Atlantic Salmon sold is farm raised and most of that from Chile.

Now, I am pretty sure Market Basket wouldn't purposely lie, but what is your take on this?

Also, because of the above, I could't get an answer to my flavor question as all the comparisons were based on the farm raised version of the Atlantic salmon. So any input on that? Is is closer to Coho, Sockeye, or King?

All that farmed fish is just turds with fins ! Kings have the highest oil content, Copper River kings & sockeyes have the highest oil content only salmon higher are Yukon kings and all the kings go to japan. Then i'd say Chums(aka Keta), coho (silvers) and then the lowly Pinks(humpy). I would think that farmed is on the same scale as a spawned out zombie pink. I wish i could find the picture i have of a fresh cut copper river sockeye, we would barbecue salmon just about every night when i fished out of Cordova and most times the grill would catch on fire from the oil ozing out of those fish. By the way the collars and bellies have the most fat.

5 hours ago, alaskansteve said:

All that farmed fish is just turds with fins ! Kings have the highest oil content, Copper River kings & sockeyes have the highest oil content only salmon higher are Yukon kings and all the kings go to japan. Then i'd say Chums(aka Keta), coho (silvers) and then the lowly Pinks(humpy). I would think that farmed is on the same scale as a spawned out zombie pink. I wish i could find the picture i have of a fresh cut copper river sockeye, we would barbecue salmon just about every night when i fished out of Cordova and most times the grill would catch on fire from the oil ozing out of those fish. By the way the collars and bellies have the most fat.

love me a fatty collar.

13 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

love me a fatty collar.

The collar of swordfish is now becoming "a thing" in restaurants.

My sushi place that I go to ("The Sushi Man" in Newton) grills salmon collars when he has them. Gives them out as "gifts" to his regulars....