Steve in Mass

"Wild" Atlantic Salmon?

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, MakoMike said:

O.K., but you do realize that there is no shortage of wild Atlantic Salmon just to our north. Its only the ME runs that have disappeared and most seem to think that i due to dams not overfishing.

It isn't just Maine. I used to work for a salmon farm in Saint George, Nova Scotia and in the little river there in 2000 they had all of 4 fish come up as "wild returns". All 4 had to be destroyed as they all tested positive for some disease they caught from the farmed fish. 

Today I believe they have zero returns.

Gee, all this controversy over something that ended up being a typo....

A favorite political commentator of mine wrote a book a couple years ago entitled "Addicted to Outrage"

And the words of his book are spot on in this thread.

:laugh:

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

O.K., but you do realize that there is no shortage of wild Atlantic Salmon just to our north. Its only the ME runs that have disappeared and most seem to think that i due to dams not overfishing.

Actually, that is not true at all.  There is a serious shortage of Wild fish in the Atlantic.  The Canadian government bought out all of their fishermen's licenses years ago.  How many fish can you keep in Canada per season?  New Brunswick- 2 grilse, Quebec- 4 fish per season, reduced from 7.  Labrador/Newfoundland- max is 2 fish per season and no more than 3 catch & release per day. 

Also-  I live in Maine and used to live on the last river in the US where you could fish for Atlantics and fished the last two seasons.

43 mins ago, jason colby said:

It isn't just Maine. I used to work for a salmon farm in Saint George, Nova Scotia and in the little river there in 2000 they had all of 4 fish come up as "wild returns". All 4 had to be destroyed as they all tested positive for some disease they caught from the farmed fish. 

Today I believe they have zero returns.

Honestly I don't know, I've been reading recently about the hatred of stripers in the Miramichi <sp?> watershed due to their feeding on salmon smolts, so I guess I just assumed that there must be plenty of smolts for the stripers to eat.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, titleguy said:

Also-  I live in Maine and used to live on the last river in the US where you could fish for Atlantics and fished the last two seasons.

Not for nothing but that statement indicates to me that Atlantic Salmon are not listed as endangered or threatened, if they were you wouldn't be allowed to keep one at all. You're not allowed to keep Sturgeon, sawfish, jewfish or any other fish that is on the endangered list, so why would you be able to keep a salmon if its on the endangered list.

Just for S&G I just went an googled it. FYI it is the Gulf of Maine DPS (distinct population segment) that is listed as endangered, not the entire species. So wild Atlantic Salmon from Europe could be perfectly legal to sell in the U.S.

Edited by MakoMike

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

We're going to enjoy some delicious salmon the next couple nights. Fishermen's Market, New Bedford.

IMG_20200214_133808.jpg

That looks yummy. Better looking than the farmed stuff at my Shaws. 

I got one 2 falls ago in a Lake O trib. My buddy caught a massive one last fall in the same river. I’ve seen some a few caught on my yearly fall trips that past 2 years. 
Lake O had a great population of Atlantic’s but over fishing made them disappear. Seems like the population is coming back! 

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:38 PM, bob_G said:

When we have salmon, we always eat it with my mango salsa.  Real easy quick salsa to make, and compliments the salmon well.

…...

Bob.....sounds like something I'd like to try.  Would you please post the recipe.

20 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Define shortage...

salmon-return-chart.jpg

21 hours ago, bob_G said:

We're going to enjoy some delicious salmon the next couple nights. Fishermen's Market, New Bedford.

IMG_20200214_133808.jpg

Got me thinkin here, get a hundred or so pounds of this salmon, whip up a barrel or two of your special "magoo" sauce and start cookin………..Go over to Sandwich and rent the Legion Hall for a super fish feed that is open to the public (for a price of course)  You might also want to invite the Massachusetts Craft Brewers and the winers and shiners also.  Bake up some of those "special" cookies, brownies and gummies for desert and hire a band for dancing after dinner.

PS I heard the group King Neptune and the dead discards from the deep is available...………….

2 hours ago, 1ife said:

Define shortage...

salmon-return-chart.jpg

What is a 25W salmon? North America would include New England, correct? So abundance in Canada would be offset by by The lack of fish in New England, correct? Who or what is ICES? 

2 mins ago, MakoMike said:

What is a 25W salmon? North America would include New England, correct? So abundance in Canada would be offset by by The lack of fish in New England, correct? Who or what is ICES? 

2ws means 2 winter salmon.  

You can read more about this report here

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.asf.ca/assets/files/state-of-popn-2019v2.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjazfHOhdTnAhVDheAKHd0OAtAQFjAFegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2Dle8ozo-8LNDDdFHrUR_6&cshid=1581786497774

The US is but a negligent drop of salmon populations. The data set is for the  entire north western atlantic. You can read more about in the reports. 

There is something called the Atlantic salmon federation.  Ices is International Council for the Exploration of the Sea.

for someone managing our fisheries I would expect to know a little more.  I believe the trend is, populations are moving north are doing better but returns are either declining or holding  depending on runs.  

that's about all I have to say about this. As I dont want to get reinvolved with this subject.  

16 mins ago, 1ife said:

2ws means 2 winter salmon.  

You can read more about this report here

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.asf.ca/assets/files/state-of-popn-2019v2.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjazfHOhdTnAhVDheAKHd0OAtAQFjAFegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2Dle8ozo-8LNDDdFHrUR_6&cshid=1581786497774

The US is but a negligent drop of salmon populations. The data set is for the  entire north western atlantic. You can read more about in the reports. 

There is something called the Atlantic salmon federation.  Ices is International Council for the Exploration of the Sea.

for someone managing our fisheries I would expect to know a little more.  I believe the trend is, populations are moving north are doing better but returns are either declining or holding  depending on runs.  

that's about all I have to say about this. As I dont want to get reinvolved with this subject.  

Thanks, I'll freely admit that I don't know a lot about Atlantic Salmon. The label on the chart said "north America" so that's what I assumed they were talking about. Northwest Atlantic would include a lot more than North America, like Greenland, would it not? ICES sounded familiar but I was confusing it with the IUCS and their red list, which I do not always find credible. I'll read the cited article and maybe we can discuss this issue further.  

Just to clarify, I have nothing whatsoever to do with managing Atlantic Salmon, my interest in the species is purely academic.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:26 AM, Roccus7 said:

Would be interesting to know exactly where this comes from.  Virtually all of the large-scale wild harvest occurs off of Greenland, so if it isn't of Canadian, Scandinavian, Icelandic or North Seaish origin, it ain't the real thing.  

As far as flavor, it's a matter of fat IMO.  Farmed salmon has more fat & oils in it, which I find appealing, the wild fish from Alaska or what I used to catch in the Great Lakes has less fat.  I like the extra fat from a cooking perspective as its more forgiving.  If you slightly overcook farmed salmon, it's still OK.  If you slightly overcook wild salmon, might as well eat fishy cardboard. 

I haven't eaten enough wild salmon to be able to discern the flavor differences between species.  Some folks can tell you what species and what river, but I can only say "salmon"...

I don't know where you getting your info but Alaskan wild salmon has way more oils than any of those turds with fins they try to pass off as salmon.