Steve in Mass

"Wild" Atlantic Salmon?

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

When we have salmon, we always eat it with my mango salsa.  Real easy quick salsa to make, and compliments the salmon well.

As for parasites. Years ago we spent time on St Lucia. The second to last day we were there, I slipped up and drank the water. We were in the rainforest all day. I was hot and thirsty and drank from a gallon bottle, and poured the rest on myself. Whatever I had hit me when we got home. The Dr suspected giardia. I was sick for months. Not seriously ill, but just enough gastrointestinal stuff to always be looking for a restroom. Finally I was put on flagyl and it resolved in a couple weeks. But flagyl brings it's in set of issues to the party.

1 hour ago, Shhh....Now said:

I quoted relevant text, concise and on point, regarding the FDA's position on the lack of presence of parasites in farmed salmon.

You quote volumes of off-topic procedure in dealing with the presence of parasites (which the FDA asserts Does Not Exist. in farmed salmon)

You're not HACCP trained and you're not fooling anyone with all the smoke.   

49 mins ago, Shhh....Now said:

But we all know what segment of commercial fishing MakoMike shills for. 

I'm not trying to fool anyone, but if you think the he FDA knows about farmed salmon parasites in all the areas of the world where Atlantic Salmon are farmed you have far more trust in the bureaucracy than I do.

Do you profess to know about the feed of farmed salmon everywhere in th world where they are farmed? Are you aware that farmed salmon in Chile are often fed unprocessed pacific anchovies and sardines?

Do tell me, who do you think I "Shill" for, just so i can demonstrate how far wrong you are

1 hour ago, Shhh....Now said:

Wrong 

I am HACCP trained. More than that, I've been certified to write HACCP plans for seafood handling facilities and you can check that with the office there in RI

.. And other than eating salmon, farmed salmon, I have no ties with any aquaculture activity, nor have I ever.

How would I do that, I have no idea who you are.

You still haven't responded about the higher levels of PCB's in farmed salmon than wild salmon. Is that a non issue ?  

You're right Bob; flagyl brings it's own issues.  Some years ago I developed a nasty internal

abcess that required surgery and large dosages of antibiotics including flagyl which I had to take for a couple of weeks after getting out of the hospital.  They warned me not to consume any alcohol and I remembered it was (is?) used to treat severe alcoholism.  Feeling lousy from the aftereffects of the treatments was bad enough but I couldn't drink any beer for a month.    

3 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

Wrong 

I am HACCP trained. More than that, I've been certified to write HACCP plans for seafood handling facilities and you can check that with the office there in RI

.. And other than eating salmon, farmed salmon, I have no ties with any aquaculture activity, nor have I ever.

Play nice please.........I'm a commercial guy and definitely not a shill............

2 hours ago, robc22 said:

Play nice please.........I'm a commercial guy and definitely not a shill............

Rob.. never said you were and not sure how I left you with that impression. I have great respect for many commercial guys out there trying to make it work. Spent a couple years on a  Cape-based longliner and have a couple scars as fond reminders. 

16 mins ago, Shhh....Now said:

Rob.. never said you were and not sure how I left you with that impression. I have great respect for many commercial guys out there trying to make it work. Spent a couple years on a  Cape-based longliner and have a couple scars as fond reminders. 

No worries bud.......Didn't mean to give you a hard time......us commercial guys ain't so bad if you get to know us......:)

FWIW , I Too have spent many hours watching videos and reading literature for HACCP training. In my limited research for the best salmon for the buck would be canned Rubinstien's red salmon with skin and bones. A 7.5 oz tin @ $ 4.19 at my local grocer would be less than $10.00 bucks a pound. Looking at the farm raised and even the wild caught fillets in a fish case makes me want to vomit.

18 mins ago, titleguy said:

It is illegal to sell "wild" atlantic salmon in the US.  They are listed as an endangered species. 

Are you sure about that? I thought it was only the U.S. subspecies that was listed, they certainly are not endangered in Europe.

22 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I'm not trying to fool anyone, but if you think the he FDA knows about farmed salmon parasites in all the areas of the world where Atlantic Salmon are farmed you have far more trust in the bureaucracy than I do.

Do you profess to know about the feed of farmed salmon everywhere in th world where they are farmed? Are you aware that farmed salmon in Chile are often fed unprocessed pacific anchovies and sardines?

Do tell me, who do you think I "Shill" for, just so i can demonstrate how far wrong you are

@Shhh....Now still waiting for an answer.

6 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Are you sure about that? I thought it was only the U.S. subspecies that was listed, they certainly are not endangered in Europe.

Yes, I am sure.  The "wild fish" that might return to US or Canadian waters tend to live in the North Atlantic (near that country that is not for sale).   These are highly migratory fish that don't exactly understand territorial boundaries.

O.K., but you do realize that there is no shortage of wild Atlantic Salmon just to our north. Its only the ME runs that have disappeared and most seem to think that i due to dams not overfishing.