Steve in Mass

"Wild" Atlantic Salmon?

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, bob_G said:

My wife and I eat a lot of salmon. We both like it on the rare side, with my wife  closer to raw. 

When consumed like that, we find wild v farm raised to be indistinguishable.

Careful with that stuff Bob, both farmed and wild salmon carry lot of parasites that can be transmitted to humans.

4 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Wild Pacific salmon eat a lot of shrimp,it's what makes the meat red.The store-bought salmon is eating the bunker meal from the E coast that was meant to feed stripers and such.Their meat is dyed to make it the color it is since not eating shrimp makes for pale flesh.

Sockeye,bcz it eats nothing but shrimp,macroplankton and euphasids is "shrimpy" in taste but has a low fat content so the meat tends to be dry.

Coho is my favorite day-to-day as it has good fat content,thusly,good taste,and isn't price prohibitive,like king salmon.

King salmon is awesome,almost greasy bcz there's so much fat but it's super-tasty.

Pink is kinda dry but good when it's right out of the river,once frozen it tends to get "fishy".

Sockeye is just OK,they use it to feed sled dogs,hence the moniker "dog salmon".The least oily/tasty of all the salmon,it has a "chickeny" taste.Meh.Often sold stateside as "silverbright".

There used to be a species of shrimp in the Great Lakes known as Diporeia.It was extirpated if not made extinct w/ the introduction of various invasives into the lake chain.The stocked salmonids ate them w/ gusto and their meat was very red and very good eating.I wouldn't feed it to my cat these days (she probably wouldn't eat it) as it is pale pink to white in color and very fishy/musty tasting bcz of their current diet which is heavy on alewives.Some folks still eat it by smoking it but hey,you could smoke the insole from a pr of Chuck Taylors and have something similar and the same ppl would say,"well,it's good if you smoke it".

Good stuff Slip....

I will have to give coho a closer look when I see it. I sorta disagree with your evaluation of Sockeye taste, but that could just be a difference palettes.

I rarely see King/Chinook, so well.......

3 hours ago, Wenz said:

Base on the current coronavirus situation in China, do not eat wild animals. It may be better that they are farm raised! :rav:

Better to go with the farm raised animals, to get your share of antibiotic resistant bacteria! Farmers use a lotta low level antibiotics, cause it improves food efficiency (ie lower grain/lb of animal weight). Unfortunately that also exposes their normal bacteria to low levels of antibiotics and helps to select mutations for resistance. 

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Good stuff Slip....

I will have to give coho a closer look when I see it. I sorta disagree with your evaluation of Sockeye taste, but that could just be a difference palettes.

I rarely see King/Chinook, so well.......

I made a typo when I called sockeye dog,meant chum salmon,I like sockeye,just needs a lil marinade or something to compensate for the dryness,the vast majority of sockeye comes from china,an entire sockeye baked whole w/ head on,omg,our local Kroger used to ship them whole every summer but now it's all pre-frozen chinese stuff

3 hours ago, Wenz said:

Base on the current coronavirus situation in China, do not eat wild animals. It may be better that they are farm raised! :rav:

You ARE joking, right?

If so,is kinda a bad joke.....if not you are just paranoid.....

5 mins ago, slip n slide said:

,I like sockeye,just needs a lil marinade or something to compensate for the dryness,

I do it with this:

Dilly Egg Sauce, courtesy of Emeril....

INGREDIENTS

• 2 tablespoon minced shallots
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon chopped dill
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 2 hard-boiled large eggs, peeled and chopped

DIRECTIONS

• Combine the shallots, garlic, cream, mustard, dill, salt, and pepper in a saucepan over high heat. Stir and cook for 15 seconds.
  • Whisk in the eggs, bring to a boil, and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. This sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated, then warmed before serving. Serve immediately.

2 hours ago, slip n slide said:

I made a typo when I called sockeye dog,meant chum salmon,I like sockeye,just needs a lil marinade or something to compensate for the dryness,the vast majority of sockeye comes from china,an entire sockeye baked whole w/ head on,omg,our local Kroger used to ship them whole every summer but now it's all pre-frozen chinese stuff

Chum is also marketed as "keta" salmon around here. It's cheap and tastes like it. ;) Fun to catch when bright, but from what I saw, none of the locals bothered with them as a food fish. The crowds on the road accessible rivers south of Anchorage targeting sockeye (red salmon, as they call them) dwarf anything I've seen at the Canal.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 7:15 AM, RyanJ_88 said:

So I recently watched a film on farm-raised fishing. It was pretty shocking to say the least, but was def worth the watch.

Also available on Prime.

Chum=Dog=Keta=Silverbrite=Oncorhynchus keta

Sockeye is a different species, Oncorhynchus nerka, also goes by Red, Kokanee, Blueback

23 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Wild Pacific salmon eat a lot of shrimp,it's what makes the meat red.The store-bought salmon is eating the bunker meal from the E coast that was meant to feed stripers and such.Their meat is dyed to make it the color it is since not eating shrimp makes for pale flesh.

Sockeye,bcz it eats nothing but shrimp,macroplankton and euphasids is "shrimpy" in taste but has a low fat content so the meat tends to be dry.

Coho is my favorite day-to-day as it has good fat content,thusly,good taste,and isn't price prohibitive,like king salmon.

King salmon is awesome,almost greasy bcz there's so much fat but it's super-tasty.

Pink is kinda dry but good when it's right out of the river,once frozen it tends to get "fishy".

Sockeye is just OK,they use it to feed sled dogs,hence the moniker "dog salmon".The least oily/tasty of all the salmon,it has a "chickeny" taste.Meh.Often sold stateside as "silverbright".

There used to be a species of shrimp in the Great Lakes known as Diporeia.It was extirpated if not made extinct w/ the introduction of various invasives into the lake chain.The stocked salmonids ate them w/ gusto and their meat was very red and very good eating.I wouldn't feed it to my cat these days (she probably wouldn't eat it) as it is pale pink to white in color and very fishy/musty tasting bcz of their current diet which is heavy on alewives.Some folks still eat it by smoking it but hey,you could smoke the insole from a pr of Chuck Taylors and have something similar and the same ppl would say,"well,it's good if you smoke it".

I think you may have meant to say Chum Salmon here and not Sockeye? :shrug:

12 mins ago, MattituckMike said:

I think you may have meant to say Chum Salmon here and not Sockeye? :shrug:

yes,that was a mistake where I meant chum when talking about dog salmon,...I mentioned that specific mis-statement in my response to Steve in Mass but I can see how someone might have missed that

Well, at any rate, got a piece of previously frozen Sockeye for tonight and will broil it until just barely done and then sauced with what I posted above. Sides of Wild Rice Pilaf (Okay, am cheating on that since it is a Carolina brand rice package mix :o )  and steamed fresh broccoli with butter and lemon.

Will let ya know......

SIM, When I took Dad to Alaska, June was the time frame I choose.  Sockeye was a prime run in the Russian river then.  Last time I ate salmon was that trip.  Sockeye caught that day grilled that evening camping next to the Kenai river.  After that the crap they sell here isn't edible.

Cabo