ged

Quabbin Boat?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2020 at 11:58 PM, Stripernut1 said:

What type of fishing are you looking to do on the Quabbin? My fishing buddy and I spend a bit of time out there.

You looking for trout/salmon or bass?

My son would cast all day for SMB. I would like to target trout and salmon as well. 

On 2/12/2020 at 3:46 AM, The TideRunner said:

I had a 17" Lowe modified V bass boat that I used on the Q. First thing I did was throw away my prop, and put a stainless prop on. Then added a jack plate to raise and lower the engine reducing drag. And lastly, I umm...tweaked the engine some. Changed carb and reeds, and cam. and  added an electric fuel pump. Pricey? Yup, but worth every penny.

Top speed with 2, 200lb + people in it was just a hair under 30mph. I live 3 hours from the Q so when they changed the regs, I ended up selling the boat. Could no longer justify keeping it just for Q. If I couldn't make the drive which was typically every other weekend, I wanted to be able to use the boat closer to home. Sold it and bought a 24 walkaround. as I live on LIS. Made more sense.

Man do I miss that boat! They have manual engine jack plates that are adjustable by wrench. That alone will add a couple MPH.

I still make the trip to Q but I rent a boat. I need to find out though if I can use my trolling motor there, or if it somehow needs to be decontaminated.

Thanks for the information. I scrapped the idea of rebuilding the 1990 V Hull.

Instead I bought a new 16 mod-V welded hull and will put the 20HP 2 stroke in it. I replaced the carpeted bunks today with new PT with PVC board on the PT to protect the aluminum. 

What do others use as an alternative to carpet? 

My son would cast all day for SMB. I would like to target trout and salmon as well.

One of the keys for doing very well over the last couple of years (for whatever we have fished for) in Quabbin has been the use of a "Smart' trolling motor. With his, we could troll all day (with two downrigger balls down) with it following a set course or concur. If the wind was really bad we would idle the engine and let the trolling motor do all the steering. And spot lock is incredible for jigging Lakers and Smallies!  Our best morning (off the water at 11:00) was over 35 Lakers jigging, just hit the button over a spot and we would just keep bring up doubles.

9 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

One of the keys for doing very well over the last couple of years (for whatever we have fished for) in Quabbin has been the use of a "Smart' trolling motor. With his, we could troll all day (with two downrigger balls down) with it following a set course or concur. If the wind was really bad we would idle the engine and let the trolling motor do all the steering. And spot lock is incredible for jigging Lakers and Smallies!  Our best morning (off the water at 11:00) was over 35 Lakers jigging, just hit the button over a spot and we would just keep bring up doubles.

What do you use to jig lakers??

I don't fish the q a lot lakers  just don't do it and I can catch smb on the rivers and ponds in thae area with out jumping threw all the hoops that you to fish the q.  I belong to a fishing club and more than a few of the guys fish the q  get a very good fish finder and then find the smelt the fish will be there