ged

Quabbin Boat?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I have a 16’ V Hull with 20HP tiller that could be a candidate for a Q boat. Curious what people have done to customize their dedicated Q boats. 

What did you love, what did you hate? 

1 hour ago, ged said:

I have a 16’ V Hull with 20HP tiller that could be a candidate for a Q boat. Curious what people have done to customize their dedicated Q boats. 

What did you love, what did you hate? 

Boat can only be used in the Q, did you know this??

Posted (edited) · Report post

59 mins ago, codfish said:

I thought that might be the case.  I looked it up and found this on the state's web site:

"Due to concerns with aquatic invasive species being carried from one water body to another, private canoes and kayaks are no longer allowed to be launched at Quabbin Reservoir.  However, a limited number of canoe and kayak rentals are available on a first come-first serve basis at Boat Launch areas #2 and #3 for use on the regulating ponds at those areas.  All boating regulations for Quabbin Reservoir apply to these craft."

POST POST EDIT: It looks like the rules are more complicated than I thought.  

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/quabbin-reservoir-boating-information

Edited by Captain Tuttle

I believe 20 HP is max for a two stroke. You can go up to 25 hp with a 4 stroke.  I believe the hull has to be rated for twice what the motor is.   Once you have you boat power washed and sanitized, they put a tag between your trailer and boat. When you launch at the Q the attendant will cut the tag and put on another one when you are leaving.  If you cut the tag yourself to launch your boat elsewhere, you have to buy another power washing before you can access the Q.  If you have your own motor but plan to rent one of the Q's aluminum boats to run it on, YOU STILL have to have your motor power washed.   Meanwhile.....there are 2,000 Canada Geese flying into the Q daily from god knows where....

Edited by clambellies

1 hour ago, codfish said:

Yup. I have a 2019 bass boat for my son. This is an old V Hull project. I was thinking dedicated Q boat. 

10 hours ago, clambellies said:

I believe 20 HP is max for a two stroke. You can go up to 25 hp with a 4 stroke.  I believe the hull has to be rated for twice what the motor is.   Once you have you boat power washed and sanitized, they put a tag between your trailer and boat. When you launch at the Q the attendant will cut the tag and put on another one when you are leaving.  If you cut the tag yourself to launch your boat elsewhere, you have to buy another power washing before you can access the Q.  If you have your own motor but plan to rent one of the Q's aluminum boats to run it on, YOU STILL have to have your motor power washed.   Meanwhile.....there are 2,000 Canada Geese flying into the Q daily from god knows where....

I check those boxes. Boat is rated for 40HP and it has a 20HP. 

$45 each time you need to have a "decontamination" done.

You can get your boat/trailer sealed in the winter months for free, but it needs to happen 3 months or more before the season opens. Or in other words you're too late for 2020.  

On 2/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, Captain Tuttle said:

I thought that might be the case.  I looked it up and found this on the state's web site:

"Due to concerns with aquatic invasive species being carried from one water body to another, private canoes and kayaks are no longer allowed to be launched at Quabbin Reservoir.  However, a limited number of canoe and kayak rentals are available on a first come-first serve basis at Boat Launch areas #2 and #3 for use on the regulating ponds at those areas.  All boating regulations for Quabbin Reservoir apply to these craft."

POST POST EDIT: It looks like the rules are more complicated than I thought.  

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/quabbin-reservoir-boating-information

Is this something new regarding private canoes and kajaks being restricted?

I had a 17" Lowe modified V bass boat that I used on the Q. First thing I did was throw away my prop, and put a stainless prop on. Then added a jack plate to raise and lower the engine reducing drag. And lastly, I umm...tweaked the engine some. Changed carb and reeds, and cam. and  added an electric fuel pump. Pricey? Yup, but worth every penny.

Top speed with 2, 200lb + people in it was just a hair under 30mph. I live 3 hours from the Q so when they changed the regs, I ended up selling the boat. Could no longer justify keeping it just for Q. If I couldn't make the drive which was typically every other weekend, I wanted to be able to use the boat closer to home. Sold it and bought a 24 walkaround. as I live on LIS. Made more sense.

Man do I miss that boat! They have manual engine jack plates that are adjustable by wrench. That alone will add a couple MPH.

I still make the trip to Q but I rent a boat. I need to find out though if I can use my trolling motor there, or if it somehow needs to be decontaminated.

3 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

I had a 17" Lowe modified V bass boat that I used on the Q. First thing I did was throw away my prop, and put a stainless prop on. Then added a jack plate to raise and lower the engine reducing drag. And lastly, I umm...tweaked the engine some. Changed carb and reeds, and cam. and  added an electric fuel pump. Pricey? Yup, but worth every penny.

Top speed with 2, 200lb + people in it was just a hair under 30mph. I live 3 hours from the Q so when they changed the regs, I ended up selling the boat. Could no longer justify keeping it just for Q. If I couldn't make the drive which was typically every other weekend, I wanted to be able to use the boat closer to home. Sold it and bought a 24 walkaround. as I live on LIS. Made more sense.

Man do I miss that boat! They have manual engine jack plates that are adjustable by wrench. That alone will add a couple MPH.

I still make the trip to Q but I rent a boat. I need to find out though if I can use my trolling motor there, or if it somehow needs to be decontaminated.

I need to find out though if I can use my trolling motor there, or if it somehow needs to be decontaminated."  Good ???

Edited by codfish

8 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

Many times I have rented a boat and slapped on my trolling motor you should have no problem.

8 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

downriggers and planner boards on mine. flashers with smelt streamers are key as well. 

Pretty much what I’ve been told too, but the regulations read differently. Love the place too much to stay away.  Worth the 3 hour drive. And damn I miss that boat. Sold it to some guy in Belchertown