NJTramcar

Pickup vs SUV

88 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Generally, SUVs offer better handling, smoother ride, better safety ratings, more passenger room, better fuel efficiency (usually), more options, etc. Newer P/Us have certainly gotten more comfortable, but often still feel like you're riding in a school bus. I appreciate P/Us, some are amazing tools, but IMO they're impractical unless you're hauling or towing. 

As an owner of both an SUV and pickup I will say that all of your comments are incorrect. Modern trucks drive as smooth and are as comfortable as anything else on the road. Gas mileage is the same or better than a similar size SUV.  The only difference is one has a roof on the back and the other doesn’t. If you carry big and or dirty things than get a truck. If you don’t then get an SUV.  When we go to the beach we take the truck so that all of the sandy items stay in the bed. 

13 mins ago, z-man said:

As an owner of both an SUV and pickup I will say that all of your comments are incorrect. Modern trucks drive as smooth and are as comfortable as anything else on the road. Gas mileage is the same or better than a similar size SUV.  The only difference is one has a roof on the back and the other doesn’t. If you carry big and or dirty things than get a truck. If you don’t then get an SUV.  When we go to the beach we take the truck so that all of the sandy items stay in the bed. 

Agreed

I just went thru this the end of last year after the transmission in my truck that I bought new 16 years ok finally went.

We looked at SUV cause that's what the wife wanted me to get.

Then we looked at extended cab and crew cab trucks.

I came home with a truck and havent looked back

Posted (edited)

46 mins ago, z-man said:

Almost all P/Us are body on frame. Most SUVs today are unibody. Unless you don't consider unibody SUVs true SUVs, they're inherently different.

Edited by C.Robin

Totally depends on the SUV and the pickup. Each model is different. 

All different types of suspensions: leaf springs, independent rear suspension, solid live axle, etc. Body on frame vs unibody. Length of the bed of the pickup is a big variable. Long bed with short cab = nose heavy.

In general, an SUV is going to handle better than a pickup. 

Posted (edited)

My grand Cherokee died a month ago. It was a long prolonged death where one thing after another failed culminating with the head gasket going at 260k miles. I was 100% sure that I was going to go the pickup route. Having 3 kids between 5 and 10 yrs old, I was only looking at crew cabs and having several boats and equipment which I tow, I need a good tow package and V8 (oil cooler, trans cooler PS cooler). I was hoping to possible come across a good diesel if possible. I found quite a few trucks in my price range but they were older than I expected and any diesels were pretty much rust buckets.

A neighbor pointed me in the direction of a local gen2 Durango for sale. 5.7 hemi, awd, 4wd high and 4wd low, LSD, full tow package (oil cooler, trans cooler, ps cooler, oversized rad, 3.92 rear, class 4 receiver, 8950lbs tow capacity),  18" wheels with cooper muds, 3rd row seating, rancho shocks all around, excellent  mechanically inside and out and with 47k miles. The price was 1/2 that of the cheapest truck I looked at. It was a no brainer and I don't look back. I bought a 5X9 trailer to use if I need to haul anything. Other than that I use the hitch hauler or the roof cargo rack. Just got back from the unmaintained mountain roads of NH and it was a beast.

Edited by RaritanRedfish

Love my 2019 Colorado, but agree with the comments about space and safety of storing rods inside the truck. Truck rides great, has awesome gas mileage and is super comfortable. Just wish I had a better way to secure my rods/reels while working or just fishing around. 

Posted (edited)

Suburban baby, 18" longer then a Tahoe, I've had two pickup trucks,  Jeeps Scrambler full hardtop, Jeep small 1985 wagoneer, two tahoes and now a suburban and it is awesome , when family is down at beach I can safey haul eight people all our gear and a kayak out onto the beach, I can easily sleep very comfortably in the rear as I have several times at Kayak tournemanets, I can carry four kayaks on the roof and still haul a camper to kayak events, tows my 20' Whaler , tows my Diesel JD front end loader, has a rear limited slipdiff and a two inch lift kit on front, easily fits 4X8 sheets of plywood in back and longer lumber with hatch closed.  it diesn't get good gas mileage 15 city 20 highway, and 13.5 hauling the camper up to Salem Mass. kayak tourney (lot of hills on way). I can seem to do stupid things like drive backwards up a soft sand crossing past stuck trucks to snatch my in laws truck out of the sand, stopping sideways on ramp to do it. Best thing it is one of the SUVs designed to sit inside the back with rear hatch open and all the rain goes down channels around you while fishing. most people will say get a toyota, I had one a long time ago good little trucks , but little trucks.

IMG_8924.jpg

Edited by Bulldog

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Bulldog said:

IMG_8924.jpg

I just wish they made a W/T version of the Suburban and Tahoe, rubber floors and without all the entertainment and electrical doodads.  I really don't get why they don't, seems like they would sell good as the price would be low 30's new

Edited by ne_dan

Take a serious look at the new Kia Telluride, nice features for the cost. I prefer a SUV for storage and comfort and fishing.  A 4 door pickup comes in a distant second.

11 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Almost all P/Us are body on frame. Most SUVs today are unibody. Unless you don't consider unibody SUVs true SUVs, they're inherently different.

You obviously haven’t driven a new truck or a new body on frame SUV.  Are you saying that a Tahoe, 4Runner or land cruiser doesn’t ride well? 

Suburban or Yukon is an awesome truck if you need to fit long poles. I used to drive around with my 11 footer for months.  Best thing was to just jump in the truck and go.  The problem i encountered was when i needed to use it for other things. The wife hated driving around my rods. No separation between fishing and other uses. But if you could have a suburban or Yukon and use it for the sole purpose of going fishing it's a fine vehicle and super convenient, though an expensive one at that.  For a dedicated fishing truck, you're far better off with a cargo van.  Once you move into a suburban its a pain to take it apart.

1 hour ago, z-man said:

You obviously haven’t driven a new truck or a new body on frame SUV.  Are you saying that a Tahoe, 4Runner or land cruiser doesn’t ride well? 

No, I'm saying they don't handle as well, and are not as safe, as a unibody vehicle. You can debate it all you want, what body-on-frame vehicles gain in off road/hauling capabilities, they lose in handling, safety and fuel efficiency. That doesn't mean they haven't improved over the years....I'd hope they have. While not my own, I have time in both a 2019 Taco and 4Runner, and really like them. For straight up driving, or snow driving, I'd take a unibody SUV or crossover any day of the week. Many uni-bodies are more than beach capable these days, but yes if I was to off-road on technical terrain, a body-on-frame would be a lot better. 

We can agree to disagree. There are advantages and disadvantages to each vehicle. I don't see the point of a P/U if you're not going to take advantage of it's strengths, but I'm certainly not trying to stop anyone from getting one.

9 mins ago, C.Robin said:

No, I'm saying they don't handle as well, and are not as safe, as a unibody vehicle. You can debate it all you want, what body-on-frame vehicles gain in off road/hauling capabilities, they lose in handling, safety and fuel efficiency. That doesn't mean they haven't improved over the years....I'd hope they have. While not my own, I have time in both a 2019 Taco and 4Runner, and really like them. For straight up driving, or snow driving, I'd take a unibody SUV or crossover any day of the week. Many uni-bodies are more than beach capable these days, but yes if I was to off-road on technical terrain, a body-on-frame would be a lot better. 

We can agree to disagree. There are advantages and disadvantages to each vehicle. I don't see the point of a P/U if you're not going to take advantage of it's strengths, but I'm certainly not trying to stop anyone from getting one.

Where do you get this info from?  1980’s vehicles with front leaf springs and bench seats?