NJTramcar

Pickup vs SUV

88 posts in this topic

I am at the very beginning of a search for a new to me, used vehicle.

It must have 4 wheel drive to get to work through snow but also on the beach.

As I sometimes haul supplies, I am considering either a pickup or an SUV.

Any pros or cons for either one in sand or snow?

Pickup is a more versatile vehicle in my opinion.

Generally, better for towing. You have more options when it comes to a gear ratio for the rear end. Some beds support a gooseneck. You can add/remove a fiberglass topper; it's modular. You can add a side in camper if you want to turn your truck into an "RV". The truck suspension should be able to handle more payload. You can spray out the bed with a hose if you are transporting nasty crap. Truck will probably have better resale value.

SUVs are better for transporting people. Sometimes they have a smoother/softer suspension for daily driving.

I have a 2019 Chevy Tahoe and I'm extremely happy with it. I do miss my truck though. The Tahoe is as close to a truck that you can get in an SUV.

I wish I had a pickup for hauling lumber, building materials, furniture and snow blowers.  I'm glad I have an SUV because unlike a pickup, things don't get stolen out of the back and I can sleep in it when I go on fishing trips. Like Mr. Sophistication said, an SUV is a better people mover.  

I'll throw out one more comment:

A lot of modern SUVs are unibody vs. trucks that are body on frame. Do a google search on the difference between the two. Personally, I prefer body on frame. That's one of the reasons I went with a Tahoe.

I generally like trucks with a cap on the back.  My current truck is the first I’ve had without a cap, but that’s because it has a stupid short bed that I can’t sleep in the back of.  My wife has an Xterra that nice as well, but your not loading stuff up to go to dump in it.  

If I could only have one it would be a frame on body SUV and a utility trailer of when you need to haul stuff.  

38 mins ago, ne_dan said:

.................If I could only have one it would be a frame on body SUV and a utility trailer of when you need to haul stuff.  

I went this route about 30 years ago after being a pickem up guy. I've never looked back nor have any regrets. Multi use vehicles can be compromises depend on what your activities are.  We have a 9 yr old Expedition now and it fits us just fine.

If strictly for fishing... SUV, SUV, SUV. I own both, a SUV and PU truck. Better for storage/security on the beach, at the deli, at the tackle shop, or sleeping on the beach, you'll want the security if either locking things inside the truck or locking them on top of the truck. 

No difference in driving performance on sand or snow. 

It's up to you if you want an suv or pickup truck. I prefer a van with no windows and a roof vent so the chloroform doesn't make me woozy. 

You do you.

11 hours ago, Mr. Sophistication said:

I'll throw out one more comment:

A lot of modern SUVs are unibody vs. trucks that are body on frame. Do a google search on the difference between the two. Personally, I prefer body on frame. That's one of the reasons I went with a Tahoe.

This, 100 % correct. Other than a pick up, There are only a few real 4 x 4 S U V's made. All the others are crossovers. 4 Runner, Jeeps, some Chevy's . All FWD are not real SUV's. there crossovers regardless what the salesman calls them. I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4 x 4  , full frame real 4 wheel drive 2 high, 4 wheel high, and 4 low. . Stay away from all the crossovers. They will make it on some beaches, But eventually you will have problems. Both would be a good choice, I like SUV's for the the theft protection they provide.

I have both, a couple pickups and a Yukon. I find myself using the Yukon for everything. I have some trailers to do the things I needed the pickups for,lumber,hay,hauling gator,etc. Two of my p/u are 8' beds, hate the little shortbeds that are out there now, can't even put rods in without putting them on an angle, using up the whole bed. Had 5 -12' lengths of 1/2 ' dia ss in Yukon, would have been a pain in the ass in a p/u.

Just did a vacation,3,300 miles and the Yukon was the cats ass, a p/u would not have been.

Posted (edited)

Reading the comments made me think of something else.

AWD vs 4WD:

AWD is not a true 4WD. It typically uses a center differential opposed to a transfer case. AWD is on all the time and allows for the front and rear axles to turn at different speeds. With 4WD, the axles turn together. 4WD is superior if you are going offroad; however, you can't go fast with it or use it on dry pavement. AWD provides better safety because it's on all the time. It's better in the snow.

I personally prefer 4WD. You need to analyze a potential vechicle. A lot of these modern SUVs are AWD. Some even call it 4 wheel something but it's AWD.

My Tahoe is a bite unique. It's 4WD but it also has what's called 4 Wheel Auto. Has sensors in the front that engage/disengage the front axle based on slippage.

Edited by Mr. Sophistication

Another consideration. If you have a kayak or paddleboard think about how you are going to transport it. I have an xterra which I love except for when I want to load the kayak or board and have to get it on the roof. In one of the kayak threads recently there was a conversation about what is the best accessory you have ever bought (or something like that) and a lot of responses included a pick up.

I don't know why GM stopped making the Avalanche. It seemed like the perfect truck for people like us. It was able to do it all. I mean of course there were some compromises but for the most part it was pretty versatile. For me it was just too big. Now if they made something just like it but used the Colorado platform instead, to me that would be the perfect truck. Will GM ever do that? Probably not. American car companies do not want to manufacture what people want  When they do make something good, they make sure to put a stop to it.

12 hours ago, Jimichanga said:

No difference in driving performance on sand or snow. 

It's up to you if you want an suv or pickup truck. I prefer a van with no windows and a roof vent so the chloroform doesn't make me woozy. 

You do you.

Most pick ups aren't great in the snow, there is a drastic weight difference between front and rear. While it's mostly user error, if you don't know how to drive in the snow, and you drive a pickup, you're going to fishtail like crazy.

Rumor has it when you get a pickup you are automatically registered as a part time moving company for friends and family. :)