BrianBM

IRT reels, at the CCC or elsewhere?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I trust Dennysnook and Ksong's good assessment of the IRT reels, but different environments make differing demands on reels. Has anyone put in some sustained fishing on an IRT reel at the Canal, or any other Massachusetts locale that tests a reel hard?

15 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm going to have to begin getting out more. I never hear about any of this stuff.

Your a dinosaur when it comes to certain things. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have only seen 1 person with IRT at the canal and that was Kil. When I seen Denny at sebastian he was fishing an ugly Stella ‘08. His reel looked bad, but with plantnium service it worked well. 

I have not tried IRT. I have come close a few times, but they are uglier than the PENN Torque and don’t seem better in any way than the PENN. They are very slow. The IPT is too low for me. 

The gen 1 T5 from PENN was 38 IPT. ZeeBaaS 27 is 40 IPT and many Japanese super spinner are faster. We like fast reels at the canal. 

Edited by ged

I have not seen anyone use an IRT at the canal. As far as fast reels is concerned. My go to is my 8k stella HG, I wish I had the best of both worlds, I prefer to have a slow retrieve since the canal rips does most of the work for me, but when I'm hooked up a fast reel with save you landing a fish especially with the heavy current.

The CCC is the locale that I associate, more than any other, with cranking against heavy current.  With a big weedball on your jig, half the time.  A busy season of that ought to test a gear train quite well.  Bob_G, why don'cha go buy one so we can have something to gab about over the winter of 2020 - 2021?

Winter.  Bleah.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

The CCC is the locale that I associate, more than any other, with cranking against heavy current.  With a big weedball on your jig, half the time.  A busy season of that ought to test a gear train quite well.  Bob_G, why don'cha go buy one so we can have something to gab about over the winter of 2020 - 2021?

Winter.  Bleah.

I don't plan on any more canal reel purchases. :laugh: Before Ditch Jigger fled the country for Finland, he gifted me his beloved Saltiga. Incredibly generous. I plan on using that reel for the rest of my fishing career.

4 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

I have not seen anyone use an IRT at the canal. As far as fast reels is concerned. My go to is my 8k stella HG, I wish I had the best of both worlds, I prefer to have a slow retrieve since the canal rips does most of the work for me, but when I'm hooked up a fast reel with save you landing a fish especially with the heavy current.

And not only does the quick retrieve of the reel allow you gain ground on a fish, its also essential when retrieving jigs at the end of a drift to prevent them from hanging up on the riprap or when you want to quickly retrieve and recast a plug to breaking fish.

1 hour ago, young said:

Brian most of the canal regular prefer a fast retrieve reel therefore the IRT does not fit the spec at this time. Myself included. 

It's like all the guys who fish the ditch with a VS. Is it doable, yes. Practical, no.

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

How about Angler#1?

Bob given I presently now have more than 30 different reels I use during the course of the summer , some specifically just for the canal and with out question I test one or 2 new ones every year but I go back to the trusted Penns, Diawa, Abu for what ever reason. Now if some one would like to offer me the opportunity to purchase one at cost rate I might consider it a possibility. Being On a fixed income makes it hard to pay full price for any new equipment . Lately I found that I need a reel that has some automatic retrieve ratios to it as I find I now need to take a few days off when the fish keep coming in at over 30 pounds , which has been the case the past two years from the canal. I find these fish easier to get from a boat which is a good thing for me. This year may well be the last one in awhile that these fish may still be caught inside the big river. Peace