NaturalScience

Hot sauce

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I just attempted to turn the pepper mash into hot sauce but.....

The mash has an unpleasant diapery slimy smell.

The mash was fermenting since about September. 

There was no sign of mold.

The white slime formed repeatedly and I removed it as best I could, repeatedly. (Yeast, I believe)

A taste confirms a good spicy mash with a funky weird taste best described as above, diapery and slimy.

It doesn't taste "bad" per se but it isn't pleasant. 

Serrano peppers. 

This is my very first attempt at hot sauce so I really don't have anything to compare to aside from commercial sauces and it doesnt taste like those.

Any experience out there?

Did you check Ph?   Good ferment usually lasts just a couple weeks and gets Ph low enough to ward off the bad bugs.  I think last stuff got to about 3.7 but low 4’s should do it.  Also helps to have some onion or carrot for sugar to get it started.  Hot peppers alone can be more difficult.  

I did not do any of that. Just the peppers in a salt brine.

I kind of figured it would work the same as say kraut which I do somewhat regularly. 

Kraut of course is just a few days but after learning Tabasco ferments for years I thought the peppers would benefit from a long time.

Any books or websites to look into for this information? 

I have some food preservation books but none cover hot sauce and the web seems to have a lot of variety on the subject. From using a brine to just salt and blended peppers. A cheesecloth over the jar to a somewhat tight lid to create a co2 barrier.

I do remember one suggestion of a bit of vinegar or citrus in the mash to lower ph.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I saw this video years ago. No brine,just straight salt

Tabasco sauce is a excellent sauce imo

Edited by triumph

On 2/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, NaturalScience said:

I kind of figured it would work the same as say kraut which I do somewhat regularly. 

Kraut of course is just a few days but after learning Tabasco ferments for years I thought the peppers would benefit from a long time.

I have some food preservation books but none cover hot sauce and the web seems to have a lot of variety on the subject. From using a brine to just salt and blended peppers. A cheesecloth over the jar to a somewhat tight lid to create a co2 barrier.

I do remember one suggestion of a bit of vinegar or citrus in the mash to lower ph.

If it smells bad toss it

14 mins ago, Little said:

If it smells bad toss it

I did.

I guess I have some more learning to do for the peppers.

It's the only one I've had a problem with. 

My best guess I didn't clean the yeast out well enough.

Gonna grab some books and try some other methods.

On a good note the kraut turned out delicious. 

Just now, NaturalScience said:

I did.

I guess I have some more learning to do for the peppers.

It's the only one I've had a problem with. 

My best guess I didn't clean the yeast out well enough.

Gonna grab some books and try some other methods.

On a good note the kraut turned out delicious. 

Try ground pepper vinegar or Caribbean pepper sauce

easier to make tastes great. 

On 2/8/2020 at 2:44 PM, NaturalScience said:

I just add salt to the pepper mash.  6% up to 10% by weight, hotter the peppers the more salt. Stir it up good a couple times a day at least until it gets going.  

1 hour ago, JimW said:

I just add salt to the pepper mash.  6% up to 10% by weight, hotter the peppers the more salt. Stir it up good a couple times a day at least until it gets going.  

Thanks.

I don't think I was anywhere near that much salt.

I think I may end up purchasing a bunch of peppers this year so I can mess around with some different techniques. 

Really seems to be a bit of a learning curve with the peppers.

Here.  Do this stuff.  I did the hot sauce thing for a while and for all the waiting and fuss it was "okee dokee"

Last summer I stumbled across this.  Its really really good.  Pepper flavor.

I used about 1/4 jalapenos, the rest was habaneros and little cayennes.

Are you using an airlock system, or just weighing down the mash to keep it below the brine?   In my experience a nearly full glass jar and an airlock eliminates all mold and most yeast issues.   

Like JimW mentioned, I also generally add carrots/onions/bell peppers to increase sugar content.  I've never checked pH, but before I bottle I usually cut with a bit of good quality white wine vinegar taste testing until it's where I like it.   

Only problem I ever had was one batch was still pretty active after bottling, so everyone I gave it to as a gift had it science-fair-volcano all over the table the first time they popped the top.  

Edited by fishfood

30 mins ago, Little said:

Here.  Do this stuff.  I did the hot sauce thing for a while and for all the waiting and fuss it was "okee dokee"

Last summer I stumbled across this.  Its really really good.  Pepper flavor.

I used about 1/4 jalapenos, the rest was habaneros and little cayennes.

Thank you.  I'll definitely give it a go.

30 mins ago, fishfood said:

Are you using an airlock system, or just weighing down the mash to keep it below the brine?   In my experience a nearly full glass jar and an airlock eliminates all mold and most yeast issues.   

Like JimW mentioned, I also generally add carrots/onions/bell peppers to increase sugar content.  I've never checked pH, but before I bottle I usually cut with a bit of good quality white wine vinegar taste testing until it's where I like it.   

Only probably I ever had was one batch was still pretty active after bottling, so everyone I gave it to as a gift had it science-fair-volcano all over the table the first time they popped the top.  

I use a silicone "nipple" lid.

I think it's likely my salt ratio was off.

Makes sense being a hot pepper there wouldn't be much sugar for starting the ferment. 

I think I'll wander down to the library and see if I can find some books.

Check out different techniques. 

I've been reading lately that fermenting the peppers whole or just rough chopped and blending/mashing post-fermentation leads to identical results, but makes the fermentation easier to control...less little bits floating to the top to attract heebie-jeebies.  I'm going to try that next time.   

1 hour ago, fishfood said:

I've been reading lately that fermenting the peppers whole or just rough chopped and blending/mashing post-fermentation leads to identical results, but makes the fermentation easier to control...less little bits floating to the top to attract heebie-jeebies.  I'm going to try that next time.   

I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos today (home with the flu) and quite a few have done that.