kombi_rs

Visser Reels

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

You could see a high and low speed option easy thing to do on his end main and pinion gear swap. Other companies have this option.

I noticed the purposely misleading "Connecticut shop is currently under construction" .....

Yeaaaaa so they're all being built in China... Big surprise here.   Pay $700 for another made in China reel.. Just get the tsunami at that point.. 

On 2/9/2020 at 0:32 PM, glos said:

On my profile page, this is written in "about me" section, for years.

:    Take gearcase oil and fill the reel casing with it.

Now I`ve changet it to this : Take gearcase oil and fill the Visser reel casing with it.

Because they are meant to be lubricated either with a lot ( hence the level indicator ) oil or standard amount of grease !

It is not a level indicator, it is a sight glass to see if the grease is contaminated with water.  We ave a pg solution that lets you see in the reel via a sight glass so the reel can be serviced if water entered your reel, saving expensive repair cost

Posted (edited) · Report post

A lot to like about the proposed features of this reel. I certainly won't be first in line, but I'm intrigued. If all works out the lefties will certainly be happy. 

Edited by C.Robin

21 mins ago, C.Robin said:

A lot to like about the proposed features of this reel. I certainly won't be first in like, but I'm intrigued. If all works out the lefties will certainly be happy. 

Lefties who want a bailless reel will continue to be disappointed.  Having the option to change the handle from side to side is great, but until they change the spool rotation to a counter-clockwise direction; the lefties won't be happy.  It will be fine if you want to use it with a bail, but if you like the bailless setup; this may not work. 

1 hour ago, striperswiper06437 said:

Lefties who want a bailless reel will continue to be disappointed.  Having the option to change the handle from side to side is great, but until they change the spool rotation to a counter-clockwise direction; the lefties won't be happy.  It will be fine if you want to use it with a bail, but if you like the bailless setup; this may not work. 

How true, l think the only true left-handed reels was VS reels not sure about the Zbass.

4 hours ago, LB said:

It would even have been nicer if this was an oil filed reel with the sight glass and a drain plug then there would be no reseen to open the reel unless water turned the oil white.

That would be fantastic.  Maybe the designer will listen because I’m sure most users would like to drain and re-lube their reel through a plug.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ged, you mention the use of a spiral bevel drive in the VS. What are the tradeoffs in using that, as opposed to whatever Daiwa and Shimano are using? Is there a name for their arrangement?

Edited by BrianBM

3 hours ago, westhavendave said:

It is not a level indicator, it is a sight glass to see if the grease is contaminated with water.  We ave a pg solution that lets you see in the reel via a sight glass so the reel can be serviced if water entered your reel, saving expensive repair cost

That's something that's not clear from the web site. Good catch.

40 mins ago, BrianBM said:

That's something that's not clear from the web site. Good catch.

Actually it is in the "Tech" section of the site. Kind of ironic that the reel is touted as waterproof, but needs something to detect water. I know, seals fail etc. Interesting concept.     From the site---------   "One major problem with all reels is contamination from being in a saltwater environment. One does not know what is happening on the inside of the reel. We have a patent-pending solution that lets you see in the reel via a sight glass so the reel can be serviced if water entered your reel, saving expensive repair cost"

I would use caution at this point and hold on ordering. If memory serves me correctly the sub aqua was going to be the greatest thing ever. Orders were taken, some reels delivered and vs swooped and bought it. I believe the original sub aquas were not fully compatible with the VR.

You can't deny that RK isn't capable of desigingn a reel. But testing it, bringing a finished product to market and sticking with it - he fails just a we bit at that aspect... Which is kind of important if you're going to drop some decent cash on a reel that you plan on having for  decade or three.

I will stick my vs and zb. My first one has 20 years on it and I don't doubt that the others will last just as long.