Local66

Opinions on CTS vapor trail?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I know it's a relatively popular series, but having dealt with the same company for 25 years I'm hoping to get some feedback that will make me feel a little better about ordering a 400$ blank that I've never handled before. The model I'm looking at is the 10', 10-15kg. Being an American, metrics are a mystery to me and I have no idea if this blank will load 2-5oz. Any feedback is welcome. Am I going to be waiting 3 months to receive this blank? Will I get hassled over warranty claims (possibly the least of my concerns). Anyway, I appreciate your time guys. 

While I do not own the 10’ with that rating, I do own the 11’. I would say it’s more of a 1-4oz rated blank. Last two orders direct from them too just a little over a month. 

I believe they offer a 1 year warranty that covers defects, but they do over replacement sections for the blank for around $60 plus shipping which is what I had to do for a friend of mine who had a mishap. They will ask for the serial number and a couple of measurements from the ferrule to insure the new section will fit properly. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have 6 VTs. They are excellent roads. Their ratings (like most companies) are slightly off. My 10' 1-3 is really 3/4-2.25. I have a 2-4 that's  a solid 1-2.5/3. The 3-6 is 1.5-almost 4. The 4-8 is best at 2-5/6.

Sometimes they have blanks ready to go, sometimes they need to be made. They are well worth the wait tho. 

I don't care about warranties. In my 30 years of adult life fishing I've had one rod break on me where it wasn't directly my fault. If it breaks in the first few uses it's a warranty issue. If it breaks after a season of use, that's not a warranty issue. Stuff breaks and when it does you replace it.

Edited by Drew C.

47 mins ago, a rod n a reel said:

Drew is correct. They are great thin and light rods but ratings are off. 

This was my primary concern. Thanks guys.

If you're getting the 2-5 (whatever it is in grams) my guess is it would be a solid 1.5-3/3.5 and able to do 4 as well but not the rod if you expect to throw 4 all night.

If my neck issues ever get under control I might get a 10' 2-5. Guessing what the others do I think that would be perfect for my fishing.

28 mins ago, Drew C. said:

If you're getting the 2-5 (whatever it is in grams) my guess is it would be a solid 1.5-3/3.5 and able to do 4 as well but not the rod if you expect to throw 4 all night.

If my neck issues ever get under control I might get a 10' 2-5. Guessing what the others do I think that would be perfect for my fishing.

I'll be throwing 2-2.5oz 90% of the time, and I'll be mostly sight casting. I'm targeting 120lb fish with 3 herniated discs and a torn UCL ligament. I have to make good decisions, and I need a relatively forgiving blank. The one I'm looking at is the 10-15kg/75-135g, I think that translates to roughly 2.75-4.5oz. But, like I said, it has to load 2oz or I'm going to need a lot of ice and ibuprofen.

11 mins ago, Local66 said:

I'll be throwing 2-2.5oz 90% of the time, and I'll be mostly sight casting. I'm targeting 120lb fish with 3 herniated discs and a torn UCL ligament. I have to make good decisions, and I need a relatively forgiving blank. The one I'm looking at is the 10-15kg/75-135g, I think that translates to roughly 2.75-4.5oz. But, like I said, it has to load 2oz or I'm going to need a lot of ice and ibuprofen.

I can feel your pain. I have severe stenosis, 2 discs and several bone spurs in my neck. My days throwing 11' rods are pretty much over. Maybe 10' will work for me, maybe not.

My guess would be it s/b perfect, but that's a guess. I have not used/seen that blank. 

I have a 10' 1-3. 11' 2-4, 11' 3-6, 11' 4-8 and a 12' 2-4 (with 6" off the tip). My experience with my builds would make me think that your blank s/b right where you want it.

The blank action is fast but progressive, meaning the load goes fairly far down the blank, at least vs the typical fast action rod. Recovery is fast. They are light and thin.

2 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I can feel your pain. I have severe stenosis, 2 discs and several bone spurs in my neck. My days throwing 11' rods are pretty much over. Maybe 10' will work for me, maybe not.

My guess would be it s/b perfect, but that's a guess. I have not used/seen that blank. 

I have a 10' 1-3. 11' 2-4, 11' 3-6, 11' 4-8 and a 12' 2-4 (with 6" off the tip). My experience with my builds would make me think that your blank s/b right where you want it.

The blank action is fast but progressive, meaning the load goes fairly far down the blank, at least vs the typical fast action rod. Recovery is fast. They are light and thin.

Thanks Drew, going to order it tonight.

On 2/8/2020 at 4:37 PM, Local66 said:

Thanks Drew, going to order it tonight.

Just to follow up guys, I received my blank a little over a week ago. It took me a few days to calm down. The blank that arrived was a 50/50 split with a diameter of about 1/2", and a 5.5 top. I obviously should have asked more questions. I haven't seen a 50/50 split in 10 years, and I certainly wouldn't have ordered this blank had I known. But, things being what they are I decided to proceed with the build. We'll see. The smaller fish I'll be targeting are in the 75-80lb class, I have doubts.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Breathe.

The rod was designed as a 2 piece, it will be fine

4 piece fly rods catch big fish.

I am intrigued - what fish are you chasing?

And if the 2 piece really bothers you or the sections twist apart under use (try it out first as a 2 piece) you could always glue the 2 sections - I know Drew does this

Edited by ZAFisher

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

Breathe.

The rod was designed as a 2 piece, it will be fine

4 piece fly rods catch big fish.

I am intrigued - what fish are you chasing?

And if the 2 piece really bothers you or the sections twist apart under use (try it out first as a 2 piece) you could always glue the 2 sections - I know Drew does this

A 70/30 split doesn't bother me. I got it for land based tarpon. I'll order another blank before I glue anything.

IMG_0887(1).jpg

Most of the  blanks that I have were cut at 28” from the butt with a spigot ferrule. They were meant to be glued. 

I have friends with 50/50 splits and they have no issues. I landed my pb bass on a 2 pc 50/50 2-4 vapor trail and had numerous other fish above 40” on that rod with no problems as well.  

11 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Most of the  blanks that I have were cut at 28” from the butt with a spigot ferrule. They were meant to be glued. 

I have friends with 50/50 splits and they have no issues. I landed my pb bass on a 2 pc 50/50 2-4 vapor trail and had numerous other fish above 40” on that rod with no problems as well.  

I'm not sure why it bugs me so much. I don't break rods, and I have several redundancies anyway. It's just unsettling. Anyway, rear grip is finished and I'll be drilling cork rings at some point this afternoon. I've been saving this stuff for a new 7wt, but it looks like that'll have to wait.

20200312_174914.jpg

I understand what you’re saying. I have an innate aversion to 50/50 rods. It goes back years to older rods. But with today’s quality rods it is not a real concern at all. My fsc’s were all 50/50. I’ve fished a ton of multiple piece flyrods too and never had a failure at a ferrule. Also, if blindfolded I really doubt anyone could tell the difference.