Cranes Beach, Ipswich - fishing help

Rate this topic

Buonarroti

Ahhh..  Not a spot burn, but close enough so that some excitable soul will complain of a spot burn.  Sorta.

I know nothing of the spot, and not much more of Massachusetts, save that it's infested with Red Sox fans, who will repent greatly in the world to come. I do have some good news anyway. Whether you need a "completely sealed" reel or not depends less on where you fish than how you fish.

If you don't think you're fishing unless you find people giving you CPR once a month, then you do want a VS or ZB reel. If you are happy to fish without swimming alongside a Great White shark, or if you actually fish only one night or a few hours at a time, you don't need it. This doesn't have much to do with location. On the rare occasions that I visit Montauk, I'm content to fish with very un-sealed reels. Many anglers there would sooner be seen in a pink tutu as carrying a reel not labeled HARD CORE.  Some of them actually do swim out to rocks, and stuff. A majority don't, but will occasionally take a pratfall in the surf. Pratfalls come with the territory. There are a lot more reels that will survive the odd dunk, if maintained, than can be dragged out to a rock by a swimming angler and back again, without needing disassembly.

Edited by BrianBM

1 hour ago, Buonarroti said:

New to surf fishing with Cranes Beach, Ipswich MA being my go to place to fish. Those of you that fish this beach,  how important is it to have a completely sealed reel (VS, etc). I have not purchased any equipment yet so any information would be helpful at this time...

It's not Crane Beach specific.

I fish the beaches of the Cape and the Vineyard a lot. I've already destroyed enough $150 - $300 reels because of the sand and salt to pay for a VS.

I'll be buying a VS this year because if I don't I'll  spend enough on less expensive reels to pay for another VS.  :)

My only concern about buying the VS is that it's not a long cast reel. Max distance isn't always needed but it often enough is. The most recent reel I destroyed on the beaches, a Shimano  Ultegra XTC 10000 could throw poppers and metals a country mile.

Edited by zak-striper

You don't really need a sealed reel for the area you are fishing. A semi-sealed reel that can take a splash and spray from the salt is adequate enough. Something along the lines of a Penn Spinfisher/Slammer or even a Shimano Saragosa. If you will be wetsuiting and swimming to the sand bars then that's a different story. 

19 hours ago, zak-striper said:

It's not Crane Beach specific.

I fish the beaches of the Cape and the Vineyard a lot. I've already destroyed enough $150 - $300 reels because of the sand and salt to pay for a VS.

I'll be buying a VS this year because if I don't I'll  spend enough on less expensive reels to pay for another VS.  :)

My only concern about buying the VS is that it's not a long cast reel. Max distance isn't always needed but it often enough is. The most recent reel I destroyed on the beaches, a Shimano  Ultegra XTC 10000 could throw poppers and metals a country mile.

Not sure if you specifically mean the vs as opposed to a vsx, but if we are fishing similar places you are more than happy to try a few casts with my vsx200. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the distance, same approximate distance that I get with a Penn 7500LC. The one caveat I will say is that I’m a bit slightly underwhelmed with the drag, but as a pure beach reel, very happy with my purchase. Love not worrying about sand, just a dunk and a couple grinds. Will see how it holds up long term.

(*member formerly known as ‘nygnyrredsoxfan’)

Ditch Troll #340

Why not start off with a good water resistant (not fully sealed) reel like a Shimano Saragosa or Penn Slammer first. See if you like the sport and if you find yourself fishing situations that warrant a VS. Then upgrade later on if you feel the need. Put the money you saved into the other essentails, plugs, waders and a good belt, and a decent rod.

Edited by Sandbar1

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333