gellfex

Reefs from retired wind turbine blades?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Two hours of googling and that's the best you can come up with - benthic species??

I could care less if you believe me or not.  Seem like you spend far more time googling than fishing.

Excellent argument! Yes, that IS very compelling evidence to support your claims.

15 mins ago, MakoMike said:

And I asked who was going to pay for the extra effort to put the ends in concrete. Why would anyone building an artificial reef go through that extra effort/expense?

Pouring some concrete over something and sinking it is a lot less effort and cheaper than other artificial reefs like making concrete reef balls or stripping subway cars. 

Just now, z-man said:

Pouring some concrete over something and sinking it is a lot less effort and cheaper than other artificial reefs like making concrete reef balls or stripping subway cars. 

I like the idea of filling them with rubble better, it's a 2-fer in diverting material from the landfill.  And cement making is energy intensive.

4 mins ago, z-man said:

Not when you have to transport those wings from Wyoming or Idaho. Where do you think all these retired windmill wings are coming from, the yet to be built wind farms off the east coast?

32 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Two hours of googling and that's the best you can come up with - benthic species??

I could care less if you believe me or not.  Seem like you spend far more time googling than fishing.

Whether a reef is good for rec fisherman or not is irrelevant. Any object that provides structure and hiding places is good for sea life. It also is a safe haven from draggers. 

5 mins ago, z-man said:

Whether a reef is good for rec fisherman or not is irrelevant. Any object that provides structure and hiding places is good for sea life. It also is a safe haven from draggers. 

Neat - who is disagreed with you?

1 min ago, Cpalms said:

You don't fish much do you?

Why do you want to make this about my fishing habits rather than decades of history and actual established scientific facts?  I sure don't fish wrecks, since I'm a kayaker. There's plenty of people here who fish hard from shore or kayak without going offshore to wrecks.

15 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Not when you have to transport those wings from Wyoming or Idaho. Where do you think all these retired windmill wings are coming from, the yet to be built wind farms off the east coast?

Cut them in half, put on flat bed truck and drive to the ocean or Mississippi River and put on a barge

4 mins ago, z-man said:

Cut them in half, put on flat bed truck and drive to the ocean or Mississippi River and put on a barge

Right, and so I'll say it again, who pays for all that trucking/cement/barge work?

28 mins ago, gellfex said:

Why do you want to make this about my fishing habits rather than decades of history and actual established scientific facts?  I sure don't fish wrecks,

Exactly you don’t fish wrecks, no experience. No knowledge. No clue.

And now you have been googling for half that day trying to support your claims but have come up empty.   Did you ever think for a second that a bunch of phd’s have never written a study on this?  It’s just a fairly commonly known thing among people who actually go fishing.  Just because you have never heard of something about a type of fishing you have never done doesnt mean it’s not true. It’s just means you are opining on something you Don’t have the first clue about whatsoever.

4 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Exactly you don’t fish wrecks, no experience. No knowledge. No clue.

And now you have been googling for half that day trying to support your claims but have come up empty.   Did you ever think for a second that a bunch of phd’s have never written a study on this?  It’s just a fairly commonly known thing among people who actually go fishing.  Just because you have never heard of something about a type of fishing you have never done doesnt mean it’s not true. It’s just means you are opining on something you Don’t have the first clue about whatsoever.

Ah yes, the anti-science "common wisdom" argument. I guess I know a whole lot about your politics then too.  Once upon a time absolutely everyone including 99% of doctors thought the newfangled idea of washing your hands before you jam them inside someone was nonsense too, everybody knew dirt had nothing to do with disease.  And your astonishing insight about how I spend my day is pretty off too, I was occasionally dropping by my pc to take breaks from work. It only took a few moments of searching to come up with a long history of FRP molded reefs and academic studies about them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Some critter or organism will utilize anything dropped onto the ocean floor. Items used for artificial reefs are probably chosen for shape more than their material. The boat hulls and bridge sections (TZ bridge) often used have more intricate shapes. They provide more ambush, hiding, birthing, etc. opportunities than any long, linear flat material. Google AR materials and tap the images tab.

1426DA02-A64F-4AFA-9CE9-0A28DD293E6E.png

Edited by cheech