bob_G

Ma DMF public hearings

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The DMF has scheduled hearing in March to discuss proposed 2020 regulations, including all striper regs. 

The hearing at the MMA is scheduled for March 12, 6pm. So it looks like the proposed regs are still up for debate.

Edited by bob_G

On 2/7/2020 at 5:30 PM, bob_G said:

The DMF has scheduled hearing in March to discuss proposed 2020 regulations, including all striper regs. 

The hearing at the MMA is scheduled for March 12, 6pm. So it looks like the proposed regs are still up for debate.

Are you planing to attend ? Perhaps we could find time to sit together and make our voices heard among those attending?

On 2/7/2020 at 2:30 PM, bob_G said:

I spoke with a DMF guy at Mel True's show on Saturday and he told me that the "proposed regs" were pretty much a done deal. The public meetings are just for show....

Edited by jason colby

1 min ago, jason colby said:

I spoke with a DMF guy at Mel True's show on Saturday and he told me that the "proposed regs" were pretty much a done deal. The public meetings are just for show....

This was printed back in Nov. or Dec. of 2019, I would say the DMF is pretty confident...…………...

But remember the Rattlesnake proposal that everyone thought was a done deal but it got thrown out the window after the negative public hearings...……..  

DSC_0561.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

I'm sorry but I was referring strictly to striped bass regs.

That was what my discussion with the DMF guy was about as he was trying to give me his free circle hooks...

12 mins ago, b-ware said:

This was printed back in Nov. or Dec. of 2019, I would say the DMF is pretty confident...…………...

But remember the Rattlesnake proposal that everyone thought was a done deal but it got thrown out the window after the negative public hearings...……..  

DSC_0561.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

It's also kind of amazing that both state and federal fishery managers are so concerned about recreational cod by catch but when it comes to draggers and gill nets that concern goes right out the window. In our state waters alone our inshore draggers/gill netters fishing for a tiny state quota of winter flounder (140 MT) will continue to ensure that we will NEVER have a cod recovery in our inshore waters!

Edited by jason colby

wonder if it has to do with r.i. proposing to keep a 30''--40'' where everyone else is going 28"--to less than 35"..conn. and n.y. originally agreed with r.i. limts then changed there stance to go along with everyone else...ill try to attend and throw my 2 cents in...still like 1 at 26''--32'' and you pay for a $20 trophy tag for 1 over 40" no tag no big fish..tag money goes to striper research...just a thought 

two different hearings one for commercial and one for recreational The one Bob put up is for recreational, the one on Thursday is  commercial  At least that is my assessment Peace. 

Both recreational and commercial anglers are encouraged to attend the Feb 10 hearing.

The topics to be discussed will be black sea bass, scup, and flounder. The second half of the hearing will discuss proposed bluefish regs and limits.

The March 12 hearing will confine itself to striped bass.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Both recreational and commercial anglers are encouraged to attend the Feb 10 hearing.

The topics to be discussed will be black sea bass, scup, and flounder. The second half of the hearing will discuss proposed bluefish regs and limits.

The March 12 hearing will confine itself to striped bass.

You mean "summer flounder" (fluke), yes?

Winter 2020 Marine Fisheries Public Hearing Notice

1. Recreational Striped Bass (322 CMR 6.07). DMF is proposing several measures affecting the recreational harvest of striped bass. These measures are designed to conform state regulations to Addendum VI to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission’s (ASMFC) Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan (FMP) and reduce recreational discard mortality. The proposals are to: a. Adopt a slot limit of at least 28” to less than 35” total length for the recreational retention of striped bass. This slot limit will replace the current 28” minimum size. b. For 2021, expand the state’s existing circle hook rule to potentially require all anglers whether fishing from shore, a private vessel or a for-hire vessel to use circle hooks when fishing with whole or cut natural baits and eliminate existing exemptions for certain terminal tackle configurations (e.g., tube and worm, snag and drop). c. Prohibit recreational anglers from removing striped bass from the water with any device other than a non-lethal device. Non-lethal devices will be defined as a device that does not pierce, puncture, or otherwise cause invasive damage to the fish that may result in mortality.

3. Commercial Striped Bass (322 CMR 6.07). Beginning in 2020, the ASMFC has reduced the states’ coastal commercial quotas for striped bass by 18% to end overfishing. At our existing 34” minimum size limit, Massachusetts’ quota is expected to be approximately 713,000 pounds. To best utilize this quota, DMF is proposing several adjustments to the state’s commercial striped bass management regulations: a. Move the start of the commercial fishery from June 23 to as early as June 1. b. Adjust the open commercial fishing days from Mondays and Thursdays to Mondays and Wednesdays. c. Increase the minimum size from 34” to 35”. This will result in there being no overlap between lawfully sized commercial fish and lawfully sized recreational fish. If this change is adopted, DMF will also rescind: 1) the requirement that commercial anglers fishing recreationally for striped bass clip the right pectoral fin of any striped bass measuring at least 34” and 2) the allowance for dual Daniel J. McKiernan Acting Director Charles D. Baker Governor Karyn E. Polito Lieutenant Governor Kathleen Theoharides Secretary Ronald S. Amidon Commissioner Mary-Lee King Deputy Commissioner commercial and for-hire permit holders to sell any commercially conforming striped bass caught by their clients. d. Maintain existing daily landing limits.