Garshark572

Pickeral Fishing super bowl sunday

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On Sunday I took advantage of the nice weather to hit up a small lake that I have wanted to try for a while. I started by throwing some small inline spinners with out any luck. I switched to some heavier lures to cast farther. I tried out a new bay rats jerk baits. I would reel it down then jerk it 2 or 3 times and pause till it floated to the surface or almost to the surface. I was working my way back to where I parked THEN IT HAPPPENED!!! Right next to shore a monster pickerel smashed the jerk bait while it was paused. Started ripping drag, before I knew it I landed my first pickerel and it was a good one. *

38531.jpeg

Edited by TimS
We don’t promote social media channels here - thanks.

Nice fish, I think I know the spot by the background to which that body of water holds nice pickeral.

Problem is that it is massively overfished over there, so your combo of a new jerkbait ( plus credit for your technique ) seemed to be the ticket.

Solid job.

My man Wire

Amazing how keen we become at spotting the slightest landmark in the background.

Fortunately I agree with you completely and have no desire to run out and fish that locale.

That pick was probably caught 4 times in its life, so the credit goes to Gar for pulling it off

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

Lol obvious where it is . Like it need any more pressure lol . The glory days of those lakes are long gone anyways 

Sorry I didn't hid the background to your standards, I guess ill need to start fishing lesser known bodies of water.

1 hour ago, Garshark572 said:

Sorry I didn't hid the background to your standards, I guess ill need to start fishing lesser known bodies of water.

All nonsense aside good fish . We used To have days with 10 -15 fish each with many larger then that in the winter when nobody else knew about or wanted to Be out .. 1-2 lbs large mouth were a nusuance when we ( all 3 of us ) targeting jumbo pickerels in those waters ..  but I’m going back 20 years now. There’s still some pigs in there no doubt . Great genetics..  sad what all my home town ponds have become . Last 10 years was a very harsh decline in fish . I could go on and on about the reasons but that’s a book in itself ..  for your own good . Less On the inter webs the better .. just my 2 cents 

when ya go back this weekend and 3 guys already in and around where ya wanna fish . Ya will get it 

Edited by Wire For Fire

1 hour ago, Garshark572 said:

Gar - FIsh where you want to fish and show what you want to show... ball breaking is part of the game here.

Ultimately, if you know that spot you know it.... most may not ( I live in that neighborhood, so I would be a damn fool if I didn't ).

I think Wire's point is, posting pics for validation is something we all do less and less with age and confidence.

I'm now more worried about who will recognize the background in my pic than I am about the praise of showing I caught a fish.

The best fisherman lurk in shadows and speak in generalities 

I know a guys is a real sharpie out in the field when I ask "How'd you do?" and they reply "There are some fish around" and walk away

10 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

All nonsense aside good fish . We used To have days with 10 -15 fish each with many larger then that in the winter when nobody else knew about or wanted to Be out .. 1-2 lbs large mouth were a nusuance when we ( all 3 of us ) targeting jumbo pickerels in those waters ..  but I’m going back 20 years now. There’s still some pigs in there no doubt . Great genetics..  sad what all my home town ponds have become . Last 10 years was a very harsh decline in fish . I could go on and on about the reasons but that’s a book in itself ..  for your own good . Less On the inter webs the better .. just my 2 cents 

when ya go back this weekend and 3 guys already in and around where ya wanna fish . Ya will get it 

The international bucket brigade got tired of the trout

17 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Only a small part of the issue but yea def a factor 

What else do you think has contributed to the ruining of that place other than fishing pressure?

Iv long bellieved the yearly cormorant infestation has been a factor.....

Edited by DeepBlue85

Nice. I've caught several there bass fishing, but none that big. Expect a few "friends" joining you next time you want to fish that spot. 

Edited by C.Robin

Long Island freshwater scene is shot. Gets worse and worse every year. Was nice when all I had to worry about was cormorants. Now it’s all overfished thanks to social media and immigrants .  Nice fish tho

Edited by Justinj

6 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Expect a few "friends" joining you next time you want to fish that spot. 

Few???

LOL

Bus station in Flushing just added that as a regular stop twice a day, Monday to Friday and several charters Saturday and Sunday

In the age of the lawless bucket brigades and 20+ years of idiots broadcasting glory shots and information of anything and everything on the internet....

That's a really nice Pickeral.....great job!! 

Edited by ChuckDgaf

10 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Bus station in Flushing just added that as a regular stop twice a day, Monday to Friday and several charters Saturday and Sunday

This is seriously like I can't breathe funny !