Know Someone That Needs a Job?

Rate this topic

Steve in Mass

Semi-entry level position in Facilities at a financial institution. I told Tim I would keep it "generic" and not make it an ad (he okayed this beforehand), so all I will say is it is in Dedham, MA. Don't know the pay but am pretty sure it is more than minimum wage, and the benefits are outstanding (perhaps worth as much as the salary, I am not kidding.) Pretty laid back atmosphere and bosses are very easy going and flexible.

If you know of a young person that may be interested, shoot me a PM and I can direct you to the right place.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

On 2/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, Steve in Mass said:

Semi-entry level position in Facilities at a financial institution. I told Tim I would keep it "generic" and not make it an ad (he okayed this beforehand), so all I will say is it is in Dedham, MA. Don't know the pay but am pretty sure it is more than minimum wage, and the benefits are outstanding (perhaps worth as much as the salary, I am not kidding.) Pretty laid back atmosphere and bosses are very easy going and flexible.

If you know of a young person that may be interested, shoot me a PM and I can direct you to the right place.

Guess older people not apply......:thumbd:

6 hours ago, robc22 said:

Guess older people not apply......:thumbd:

Of course they can. Just be aware that there is some heavy lifting, snow shoveling, ladder climbing and the like involved. I certainly couldn't do it, and I am only 60.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

39 mins ago, foxfai said:

Like a handy man position??

The new guy/girl/intern in a financial services office has to eat some crow and get peoples coffee, do things "needed", unplug the toilet as needed until someone less senior to the office comes along.

We used to have the same thing in my insurance office and surely there is a similar hierarchy on most commercial fishing boats. In a real labor situation such a practice can be challenged as unfair labor practices but if they call the title "gofer" when you first get hired they can make you a gofer, at least until you prove otherwise. If I was a young, smart person who wanted to break into "financial services" it would be a great place to start. Think of a kid out of college that lives nearby who can see the "big picture" (not the gofer of today but the investor or investor/advisor of tomorrow). 

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Like a handy man position??

Not so much....as I said, shoveling snow, moving boxes for the "Prima Donnas", changing light bulbs, driving a company van to collect bagged trash from some of the branches,  delivering stuff, getting shred bins once a week for Shred It to take away, doing very light handyman stuff (electric, plumbing and other things are contracted out to licensed people), vacuuming the locked offices that the cleaners don't have access to at night, sometimes doing touch up painting or replacing carpet tiles, or whatever else the 'business folks" bother facilities to do.....

And of course, sometimes filling in for me when I am on vacation or otherwise out.

SOL Member #174

Um, Rob - I was gonna bite my tongue, but I am tired of doing so. Not quite sure what your issue is, but I have NO PROBLEM with old people working. Did you miss "Of course they can " to my response to you above?

I went on to explain that some quite physical tasks are involved. Hey, if an older person can do them, they are more than welcome, and in fact I applaud them, as I know that I cannot, and I am not that old. So if they apply and get the job, that is awesome.

But to be honest, if the word "young" I used in my original post is gonna trigger a response like your vulgarity laden words is what you or anyone else would do, not sure the hiring managers would be interested in that type of person regardless of their age, skills, or ability.

Your PM to me was totally out of line.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

Edited by Steve in Mass

SOL Member #174

Why are some people so touchy that I used the word "young?"

You sound like angry old men, and sorry that I slipped and wasn't being "politically correct." :rolleyes:

If you can do that, great for you, I applaud you.......I think it is fantastic. I wish I still could, as I have the knowledge, ability, and willingness, just no longer have the physical capability.

And this is the response I get for maybe helping someone out that needs a job.

So get over it. There are better things to get worked up about.

:dismay:

Edited by Steve in Mass

SOL Member #174

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Why are some people so touchy that I used the word "young?"

You sound like angry old men, and sorry that I slipped and wasn't being "politically correct." :rolleyes:

If you can do that, great for you, I applaud you.......I think it is fantastic. I wish I still could, as I have the knowledge, ability, and willingness, just no longer have the physical capability.

And this is the response I get for maybe helping someone out that needs a job.

So get over it. There are better things to get worked up about.

:dismay:

I think there is nothing wrong saying " young ". Hiring guys for a mosquito spraying company. Turn over on the 50+ old guys was 100%. 

65 pound back pack blower, pants and long sleave shirt, 90° temps blazing sun. 

Never discriminated on age, but, I saw a lot of guys get heat sick, puke, and get their last pay check .

Gotta be really careful with terminology in regards to job postings.

"Young" can get you in a law suit...

Hell, my mother was a SR director of qc in a pharma company...someone in her dept in cali screwed up a process....To avoid a lawsuit the company fired here and a rookie to avoid an age discrimination suit.

My father got had to go to court over a property listing that said it was perfect for a newly married couple or something like that......

Crazy times we live in...

I read "young" as a short way to say..... someone looking to gain experience, doesn't have a big mortgage over their head, doesn't have a family to feed etc.

Amazing how people read the same thing completely differently.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

33 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Gotta be really careful with terminology in regards to job postings.

"Young" can get you in a law suit...

This was not a job posting, it was a heads up to what I thought were friends to a available job. I have no doubt that HR took care of that legal crap in all the official ads.

SOL Member #174