foxfai

42 years ago today

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, oldgoat said:

Don't get old.

I should have said 58 not 78 I'm sorry.

Hey b-ware didn't we have fun?  N O T!!!

What was even more fun was dragging myself in the house, dog tired, and finding a 5 year old son dressed in his snow duds holding his helmet ready to go ride our brand new snowmobile.  That was on top of a 7 month pregnant wife in a bad mood, and to top it all off, I found out that 440 Artic Cat Pumas with the narrow high speed track suck in deep snow...………….

51 mins ago, bdowning said:

Some good pictures in this article...

https://www.wbur.org/news/2015/01/26/boston-biggest-snowstorms

In terms of annual snow totals in Boston proper since 1920, 2015 took the prize running away with 108.6 ", followed by 1945 with 98.6", and 1978 with 89.2". Four years had snowfalls between 85-87", including 2005. The other three were in the 1990s.

Anything more than 4 or 5 inches will paralyze most cities...…………….

We bailed out of Boston just before it hit and made it to the house in Sagamore Beach spent the next few days powerless days enjoying our Tempwood stove.  I think we only got a foot or so of snow before the rain. The storm allegedly passed over the upper Cape and I recall temps in the high 40's and bright sun the next day and very high tides.

We got reports of huge windrows of lobsters along Hull Beach and our lobster biologist was able to take the Power Wagon up and confirm that and estimate the millions of small lobsters but a strange absence of larger ones.  Further field observations of burn barrels and shellpiles and interviews quickly solved that mystery.  At least the poor folks stuck in that mess had some consolation but the butter likely didn't last too long.  

We were concerned the  Boston Harbor lobster fishery (the state's biggest) would be severely impacted but subsequent reported landing hardly missed a beat.      

1 hour ago, pogie_boy said:

I have been told that the forecast for the day when the Blizzard of 78 hit was "Partly Cloudy  with a chance of snow."

That's BS, we were told we were going to get pounded, and then when the 2 lows merged and when it stalled off of Montauk, we KNEW we were going get pounded.

It was the weirdest sky I ever saw.  The sky changed from grey to a greenish hue and then TOTALLY WHITE, as the snow started.  

7 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

That's BS, we were told we were going to get pounded, and then when the 2 lows merged and when it stalled off of Montauk, we KNEW we were going get pounded.

Interesting!  Ineonder When did they tell you that? The stories i've seen said that they couldnt predict that sort of thing accurately ahead of time as they can now  as doppler radar was not in use at the time.    

39 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Interesting!  Ineonder When did they tell you that? The stories i've seen said that they couldnt predict that sort of thing accurately ahead of time as they can now  as doppler radar was not in use at the time.    

I was on Long Island in graduate school. We were warned enough such that I went in early that day to get my experiments in order for the expected 3 or 4 day road shut down.