foxfai

42 years ago today

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, John O' said:

We were out of school for a month, perfected this:

Image may contain: outdoor, possible text that says 'The good old days!! CHTERET'

We use to do that behind city buses when I lived in Canada for 3 years as a kid.......:th:

11 hours ago, b-ware said:

56 hrs. behind the wheel plowing snow.  My first truck, '62 Brockway 10 wheeler flat bed, 220 Cummins, 5+3 trans. air assisted steering, air wipers, and an AM radio...……...

For a week or more when it stopped snowing I was operating a front end loader, all four tires chained up, pushing my uncle in the towns grader, 6 wheel drive with chain on all six pushing a 14' "V" plow opening up the country roads.

At the height of the storm our F.D. had an ambulance call, we still had a Caddy at the time with tire chains, they broke a trail with our I.H. fire truck (with chains and a locker diff.) took them a while but they made it to the Hospital and back to the station.

My dad at that was working for his cousins construction company. Plowed in a front end loader for 37 straight hours. Back then no one had equipment to handle storms like that except big construction companies. 

The blizzard of 2005 in Plymouth was  bad. I have trouble imagining worse conditions. Cars were covered, and snow was up the the second floor windows. 

Most employers sent workers home and closed at 12 that day.  If you were not home by 3PM it was doubtful you would be home for awhile.  If I remember correctly even before this storm there was snow on the ground.

My dad was a certified diver.  He rode the DuqW (duck boat) through Beachmont sections of Revere to do the House to house search wading in his heavy wet suit. Found this pic in the Revere Journal archives.

0FEC5AC4-F14B-4708-A17B-4AF027E47E84.png

23 hours ago, b-ware said:

56 hrs. behind the wheel plowing snow.  My first truck, '62 Brockway 10 wheeler flat bed, 220 Cummins, 5+3 trans. air assisted steering, air wipers, and an AM radio...……...

For a week or more when it stopped snowing I was operating a front end loader, all four tires chained up, pushing my uncle in the towns grader, 6 wheel drive with chain on all six pushing a 14' "V" plow opening up the country roads.

At the height of the storm our F.D. had an ambulance call, we still had a Caddy at the time with tire chains, they broke a trail with our I.H. fire truck (with chains and a locker diff.) took them a while but they made it to the Hospital and back to the station.

57 hrs nonstop on rte28 from pleasant bay to Eastham.

Had to time between waves crossing the road in south Orleans below Winslow hill.

55 mins ago, oldgoat said:

57 hrs nonstop on rte28 from pleasant bay to Eastham.

Had to time between waves crossing the road in south Orleans below Winslow hill.

All we had to worry about was where was the edge of the road or hitting a car with someone in it...………...

A couple of weeks after it warmed up I will never forget the stench of sour milk...…….The dairy farms in town were isolated by drifts for a few days and some a week, had to pour their milk out onto the ground because the tankers could not get through or they did not have power to run their coolers...…………...

Worked for the phone co. out of the Weymouth garage& lived in Weymouth Landing.We worked Hull,Hingham,Cohassett,& Scituate.The the night of the storm had to get a friend out of his basement apt. in Hull.My 76 f250 was parked in front of the house as the tide was running down the street and into his appt.Grabbing all his tools and clothes in waders.Water was going over the wheel hubs and lobsters were sweeping by in the water.We grabbed appx. 25 lobsters and headed out.The water was at the doors and were the last to get off the street.Spent the next 2 weeks working the other towns.Some houses I used my new x-country skis to get into the poles and over vehicles to get to the back sides of some houses tapping on windows[some 2nd floor] with the ski poles.Also,at night drove for the Civil defense from 10pm to 4 am out of Weymouth driving nurses and firefighters into Boston and outlying districts[Islington] to station houses.We had priority gas rationing from a tanker truck to fuel the truck to drive these folks.Later we went on recovery duty while working in Scituate for missing persons.Wearing our climbing bodybelts with a rope tied to the back of the belt shoveled our way into wrecked houses filled to the tops of the door openings with gravel,debris, sand and crawled in the spaces between the ceiling and door looking for bodies.At 27 yrs old we had a lot of fun,not much sleep and helped untold people.Man does time fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, ged said:

The blizzard of 2005 in Plymouth was  bad. I have trouble imagining worse conditions. Cars were covered, and snow was up the the second floor windows. 

How much snow did you get?  Was it just a coastal storm?  I lived in Mansfield then and trying to remember if we had it bad there.  A few years back we had so much snow piled up that I could climb right up the snow pile onto the house roof. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am only 40 so I don’t know how it compares to ‘78. I am from and currently live in central MA, however I lived at Pinehills during the blizzard of 2005. It snowed for 3 days straight. I wish I had pictures. It was worse in SE MA than it was in Central Ma. 

Edited by ged

7 mins ago, ged said:

I am only 40 so I don’t know how it compares to ‘78. I am from and currently live in central MA, however I lived at Pinehills during the blizzard of 2005. It snowed for 3 days straight. I wish I had pictures. It was worse in SE MA than it was in Central Ma. 

Same with me, I’m 41. The worst I remember was February 2015. This was my backyard in Norton. The snow was over 3’ deep.

52064744-EF0A-4818-821A-0C3A6F332AE0.jpeg

On 2/7/2020 at 3:43 AM, troutworm said:

42 years ago today my ex-wife called me an A-Hole for not taking her out on

her birthday,it was the last of her birthdays that she and I spent together !

Ex wives are great.  Everyone should have one........

Some good pictures in this article...

https://www.wbur.org/news/2015/01/26/boston-biggest-snowstorms

In terms of annual snow totals in Boston proper since 1920, 2015 took the prize running away with 108.6 ", followed by 1945 with 98.6", and 1978 with 89.2". Four years had snowfalls between 85-87", including 2005. The other three were in the 1990s.