albacized

Cod/Haddock - I didn't realize....

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

It's probably been 25 years since I hoped on a party boat for cod...I didn't realize that nowadays, you stand a better chance of catching a haddock than a cod...it was the complete opposite back in the late 80's/early 90's...In fact, catching a haddock back then was almost newsworthy (in local publications)...I have caught exactly one haddock in my life...may hop on a boat if a mild day happens to pop up on the day they're sailing

Late last Summer, MA allowed some recreational codfish to be harvested.

Me and my son went out on a buddies boat to target them.

During triple limits each of just over keeper haddock, we landed our cod.

50 to 1 haddock to cod on all of the well known spots offshore of CapeAnn.

Also landed some nice pollock, various skulpins, a few giant cusk.

From what I've heard.... cod fishing around the Block has been slow as well.

I used to go on party boats a lot back in the day, like your experience, haddock were rarely caught in numbers. I caught some decent sized ones back then though. Now, I do one party boat trip a year with people form work. There are a lot of haddock to be caught but most of them are small. 

I've probably stopped in 2013...14 for party boat fishing ever since they dropped the limit to 10.... then heard about it to 1.

But had fun with haddock fishing all over the eastern coast. But they aren't big, just decent size.

Party boat cod fishing in the 80s was usually off the charts, even on half day trips. Haddock? I may have boated 2-3 on all those outings. We caught more wolffish, conger eels, and cusk than haddock. 

10 mins ago, bdowning said:

Party boat cod fishing in the 80s was usually off the charts, even on half day trips. Haddock? I may have boated 2-3 on all those outings. We caught more wolffish, conger eels, and cusk than haddock. 

Wolf fish are another fish that had all but disappeared. When I first started fishing 20 years ago, I heard all about them and how good they were to eat. Now I hear absolutely nothing about them.

Just saw that in April 2021 we got a "Regulators' Feel Good April GOM 'Season' of April 1 - 14, 1 fish @ 21 in".  Totally a paper accomplishment since few if any boats and/or docks in NH & ME are in the water during those dates.  Bunny Clark usually doesn't start sailing until after the 14th, although he may speed things up come 2021.  If the Council was sincere about the spring cod season, they should have made it April 15 - 28 or added one or two weeks to the September 2 week season.

I applaud the Council for this coup, "let's have a fishing season when nobody fishes".  I look forward to more of these in the future.  Can't wait for a January GOM unlimited Bluefish season, no minimum length, no bag limit...

1 hour ago, JTR said:

Wolf fish are another fish that had all but disappeared. When I first started fishing 20 years ago, I heard all about them and how good they were to eat. Now I hear absolutely nothing about them.

I've seen it once during my party boat fishing for cods. The mate just had to cut the line since it's prohibited from fishing them. They are some monsters.

I heard they taste like cusks?

24 mins ago, foxfai said:

I've seen it once during my party boat fishing for cods. The mate just had to cut the line since it's prohibited from fishing them. They are some monsters.

I heard they taste like cusks?

I’ve heard they taste like lobster. 

6 mins ago, JTR said:

Hmm... Tilefish taste like lobster. Cusk is more like very smooth fish fillet.

2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Just saw that in April 2021 we got a "Regulators' Feel Good April GOM 'Season' of April 1 - 14, 1 fish @ 21 in".  Totally a paper accomplishment since few if any boats and/or docks in NH & ME are in the water during those dates.  Bunny Clark usually doesn't start sailing until after the 14th, although he may speed things up come 2021.  If the Council was sincere about the spring cod season, they should have made it April 15 - 28 or added one or two weeks to the September 2 week season.

I applaud the Council for this coup, "let's have a fishing season when nobody fishes".  I look forward to more of these in the future.  Can't wait for a January GOM unlimited Bluefish season, no minimum length, no bag limit...

We proposed an April 15th to April 30th cod season last year and NMFS/GARFO shot it down. They said at the last meeting that they might approve a season at the beginning of April, so that's where we went. The recreational share of the ABC for the GOM is so small that if we had a season when everyone is fishing it would probably be a three day season. We did ask how many days we could get in August for next year's debate.

54 mins ago, JTR said:

Same texture as lobster but not quite the same taste. They only became off limits a few years ago.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

We proposed an April 15th to April 30th cod season last year and NMFS/GARFO shot it down. They said at the last meeting that they might approve a season at the beginning of April, so that's where we went. The recreational share of the ABC for the GOM is so small that if we had a season when everyone is fishing it would probably be a three day season. We did ask how many days we could get in August for next year's debate.

No, I know you guys did your best and it is appreciated, but I'm sure NMFS/GARFO will bang out the press releases heralding this increased fishing opportunity and thump their chests over this, a truly Shakespearian, "Much Ado About Nothing", season.  If I remember and catch the Public Comment notice in the CFRs I'll let my cynicism flow.  They sure know how to make themselves look stupid to anybody with half a brain.  If the only time of year an additional 2 week season was early April, they would have been better off just ignoring it...

Hoping we'll have January 2022's Open GOM Bluefish Season.  We can all have a lot of fun with that.

2 hours ago, JTR said:

The only fish that "tastes like a crustacean" is a Rock or Red Hind from the waters of Bermuda.  A fillet tastes just like CRAB meat, honest to Poseidon!!

Poorman's Lobster - Tilefish, tastes like Tilefish, NOTHING like lobster.

Poorman's Lobster - Monkfish, tastes like Monkfish, NOTHING like lobster.

The list goes on and on...  You want lobster, buy a lobster.