Award-winning Plugs--Announcing the “Anglers’ Choice” awards!!

Rate this topic

Southcoastphil

28 mins ago, MorningWood said:

SC and Roy are the experts I would go to so no need for me to add anything. When I first looked at the plug I thought either Musso or Pichney troller. Gibbs didn't even cross my mind

Kev, the reason that I erroneously jumped to the Gibbs conclusion was because that wreck arrived in a box containing a dozen or so old wooden trollers (in addition to other, smaller plugs) the majority of which were GTS3s, along with an L. Cooper Big Daddy, a Masterlure and a Lupo Troller.

IMG_2898.JPEG.22d3dc63553bf1a28d876cf0443b8bd3.JPEG

It wasn't until HH PM'd me for details this morning that I even gave it another thought.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

12 mins ago, SC said:

Danny didn't recess eyes, Danny didn't have smooth die cut lips, Danny's large Troller only had a 5/0 head hook, Danny never painted anything that smooth - Donny

I admit that I have nowhere near the expertise that you (collectively) have been gracious enough to share with a NOOB like me.  Your time and consideration is greatly appreciated, and I'm learning more with every insight that's shared.

Having said that, I understand the points you made, other than your reference to recessed eyes.  To my NOOB eyes the eyes on the wreck appear flush, not recessed.  

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

18 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

I admit that I have nowhere near the expertise that you (collectively) have been gracious enough to share with a NOOB like me.  Your time and consideration is greatly appreciated, and I'm learning more with every insight that's shared.

Having said that, I understand the points you made, other than your reference to recessed eyes.  To my NOOB eyes the eyes on the wreck appear flush, not recessed.  

Perhaps they are flush, I am only judging the small pic I can see. Maybe I saw the yellow edge of the decal eye when I originally I thought it was the yellow paint. Donny made them both ways, the earlier plugs did not have recessed eyes while later ones do.  How long is the plug not including lip? Donny supplied the plug with 3 plain trebles while Danny's came with a bucktail treble on the rear of the older or a bucktail single on the newer ones. Danny's had an oversize treble head hook while Donny's had all the same size trebles

Edited by SC

I don't know the length because @Heavy Hooksetterhas the plug.  When I got it, it had a bare treble on the tail.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

danny...donny an lupo were all in kahoots with each other at one time building plugs together....danny for the most part built a tank of a plug and once in a great while if he wasn't rushing to get orders out his finish was nice and he'd put eyes on...donny was more of a fit an finish type guy so his stuff always looked good....lupo cut a lot of corners in making his plugs..he used the little yellow plastic  eyes like the black troller in your picture....cranked out cheap stuff.

like SC said..danny always used a 5/0 on his troller up front..the rest 4/0..perhaps that little difference made his track so much better then the others...sometimes it's the little things that make or break a plug.

@capesams, your excellent guidelines are very helpful for a guy like me.  Given that I have owned exactly one Pichney (used) and zero Mussos, I doubt that I'd have come to that understanding on my own.  Thank you.

Perhaps when I go to Westport on Friday one of you will be kind enough to spend a few minutes (or more, as your time and interest allow) showing me some examples in some sort of compare &  contrast.

Your point about Lupo quality is well taken, for I have owned and fished dozens of Lupos, and I fish about dozen somewhat regularly now.  For the most part, they've served me reasonably well. I find their lines and colors (esp Mullet and Rainbow) appealing in their timelessness.  I agree that the quality ranges drastically, but I can live with that.  They're inexpensive enough and I enjoy rebuilding plugs in the winter.  Once in a while a builder friend will offer to do some rewiring and painting so I know that those plugs will be solid for a long time (still holding mojo in the their scrapes and dents) and they'll provide some good fun to boot.  ("We were doing pretty well last night with those Lupos."  "What?  Which ones?  *Those* aren't Lupos!  Are they?")

IMG_7075.JPG.9eb046ee0e69aaa4eed9997c499374fa.JPG

IMG_7079.JPG.2c39fbbf9f7e3d31b2d1a3148913d192.JPG

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

6 hours ago, SC said:

Perhaps they are flush, I am only judging the small pic I can see. Maybe I saw the yellow edge of the decal eye when I originally I thought it was the yellow paint. Donny made them both ways, the earlier plugs did not have recessed eyes while later ones do.  How long is the plug not including lip? Donny supplied the plug with 3 plain trebles while Danny's came with a bucktail treble on the rear of the older or a bucktail single on the newer ones. Danny's had an oversize treble head hook while Donny's had all the same size trebles

the eyes are def flush and decals that have been sprayed over with red paint.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

6 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Kev, the reason that I erroneously jumped to the Gibbs conclusion was because that wreck arrived in a box containing a dozen or so old wooden trollers (in addition to other, smaller plugs) the majority of which were GTS3s, along with an L. Cooper Big Daddy, a Masterlure and a Lupo Troller.

IMG_2898.JPEG.22d3dc63553bf1a28d876cf0443b8bd3.JPEG

It wasn't until HH PM'd me for details this morning that I even gave it another thought.

man what a beautiful picture,brings back some cool memories!

HH

36 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

man what a beautiful picture,brings back some cool memories!

HH

That was a fun box to open!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

That was a fun box to open!

oh man,who ya tellin'?,,,,I know you had huge smile all the way across.

love the big daddy's myself,the blue and the mackerel esp,throw in a Rudolph too.

I even have 2 gibb's goo-goo's.

HH

5e4f006f70bfd_Heavy-HooksettersHeavyActionPix137.JPG.1781c0ceb3d791c2717f9a760f85a3a2.JPG

5e4f012c9adb6_HHPlugWerxLDP1088.JPG.604377858b1d0e395f5ac771e2068c7f.JPG

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

what ya think of this piece?

was told it was a driftwood plug.

it wouldn't swim no matter what I did to tune it.

so,it was disassembled,epoxy filled the inners then added screw eyes that are made for this thing we do.

also relocated the hangers to a spot more to my liking.

also made a custom lip as I normally do and it swims pisser now.

HH

5e4f050a37006_HHPlugWerxLDP652.JPG.37a8efec95fcd37709e56e617aaa4475.JPG

I saw that rudie of yours in another thread, IIRC.  If it swims, thrash it!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

41 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

it will be fished much more this season.

yes,you sure did,we were talking about another builder Tony Spina I believe it was.

HH

Yep.  Tony, Charlie, Scotty.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326