scoobydoo

Van Staal FAIL....Don't do it...it's NOT WORTH IT!!!

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2020 at 6:03 PM, VSCraig said:

Guys thanks for the input and to answer your questions:

The VR50 was optimized for the bail as 90+% will use the manual throw bail that will eliminate any issues with lost plugs regardless of how hard you cast.  We're working on the balance of the bail less kits and only a few shipped prior to testing and we'll get it all taken care of shortly. Even though the design may be created by a machinist it takes a team of engineers to make it a production product that will exceed the expectations of anglers around the World!   Please feel free to contact me at anytime at craig.cantelmo@purefishing.com.

Did Rob Koelewyn design the bailess kit? 

On 2/7/2020 at 5:51 PM, ged said:

VSB, VR (as well as Penn Torque and others) are manual bail. When you flip the bail it doesn’t force the line against the pivot point of the bail wire (line roller). 

When a fish hits the instant your plug lands a manual pick up is a better mouse trap. 

Too bad this only works for lure fishing. When you are constantly feeding back line, engaging and disengaging from the roller, where a split second hookset timing maters, it is a nightmare and alot of cut fingers. Forced to bailed reels, but then you have the bail popping issues and you lose them that way if not engaged perfectly on roller before hookset and ruin alot of bails. Going to try conventional this year to get away from all my bail issues, but then you have to forcefully cast weightless freelined baits into 20mph head winds, so that will be fun. One issue I haven't been able to dial in or figure out completely and lose money every night in ladyfish season

11 hours ago, recoil said:

This.

It took Van Stall to make it right.

Who actually engineered the new spool?

Neither gear is manufactured by VS. They buy their spiral bevel gears. 

Speaking of the spool, the clicker in my VR50 spool stopped clicking?   I've never used the reel and it seemed something was stuck.  I applied a small drop of reel oil on it and it started to work.  Didn't realize the clicker was so quiet on this reel...

Anyone experience this?

IMG_20200215_093003.jpg

3 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

Speaking of the spool, the clicker in my VR50 spool stopped clicking?   I've never used the reel and it seemed something was stuck.  I applied a small drop of reel oil on it and it started to work.  Didn't realize the clicker was so quiet on this reel...

Anyone experience this?

IMG_20200215_093003.jpg

Easy fix if you want it louder...remove the clicker by unhooking the two prongs on the sides, deepen the bend in the middle, and replace. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Edited by Romer Treece

On 2/6/2020 at 3:26 AM, SC said:

I know nothing about any new VS or that model specifically and am only basing my observation on the pic you provided. I would think the severely offset handle  would exaggerate the wobble. The handle knob is so far off-axis from  the handle shaft where it attaches to the reel how can it not wobble? (I can only assume it was offset in order to provide clearance from the bail wire during retrieve)  

Good observation there on the handle knob, and your suspected reasoning is probably correct. . Years ago I owned a VS200 and than I got a VS150 which at the time was the smallest reel they made.  I couldn't use the 150 because every time I cranked it the roller would hit my knuckle.  I traded it even up for another 200 to a guy on line here.