scoobydoo

Van Staal FAIL....Don't do it...it's NOT WORTH IT!!!

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

For the reference, I hate that screws on the inside of the rotor design. Who come up with that?!?!  Your chance of slipping and stripping that screw is exponentially high. If you strip it, you are screwed, royally.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, hobobob said:

For the reference, I hate that screws on the inside of the rotor design. Who come up with that?!?!  Your chance of slipping and stripping that screw is exponentially high. If you strip it, you are screwed, royally.

Cosmetics inside to hide the screws

Edited by LB

I was picking up my VS reels from service at Saltwaters a couple weeks ago and asked them if they had installed any of these kits.  They said that they had done one-and that the wobble was so bad they had to have Craig come in and pick it up to see if he could make it work any better.  The guys there were not enthused.  Afterwards, I emailed Craig to ask him about it, as I had recently purchased the kit and was hesitant to install it based on what the guys at Saltwaters had said..  His response was pretty short:  "Working with R&D to get balance correct."  I'm just amazed that they released the kits without making sure that they worked/balanced properly first.

Edited by jesgord

What l would like to know is after installing the kit does it tell you to remove the counterbalance in the instruction?  

13 mins ago, LB said:

What l would like to know is after installing the kit does it tell you to remove the counterbalance in the instruction?  

Mine came without any instructions......just a bag full of parts.

23 mins ago, jesgord said:

Mine came without any instructions......just a bag full of parts.

So did you remove the counterbalance when you did the change over?

3 hours ago, LB said:

Here is a guy that did the mod. tools on the table, hunting knife, swiss army knife, folding Torx wrench, he seemed to have gotten the job done I don't know what the gripe is all about it's the same as doing VR125/150/175/200 reels, most reel today use small screws along with lock tight nothing new add a little heat if it's that stubborn. 

Yes, the bailess kit should have been part of the reel package in the box that I'll go along with 70 dollars is not chicken feed. l only had handle two VR50s and both had a slite wobble once on the rod it was fine, shouldn't have been there in the first place simple fix if VS want to address the problem, people l know that have the reel have had no problem with them and really like them a lot if l didn't have a VS100 l would be buying one its good size for lite tackle surf fishing for schoolies and easy to service yourself not like the VSs

Them there is l can buy four reels for the price of this reel.

l did some math on my VS100 l bought it in 1996 $345.00 div. 24 years = $14.375 pr year l can sell it for more than what l paid for it, this reel could follow the same path, VS and VR reels are not for everyone it doesn't have a lot of bling but they do have a lot of b-lls that has been proven over the years.

Funny how people seem to come out of the woodwork when something is downplayed a little give the little reel a little time.

Yes, l own other reels.

I personally can't control what others say and how they want to make it about other reels or price of reels or whatever...this thread was about the VR50 and the defective 70$ bail less kit...(that has been pulled from the market for exactly the reason I brought up.....guess I'm not the only one)

Watching someone else do the swap....That is definitely not something someone who is not mechanically inclined should do.   There were quite a few slips in this video that could have easily gouged up the reel or stripped a screw....I'd bet half the people who tried to remove the rotor would quit there.....

1 hour ago, jesgord said:

I was picking up my VS reels from service at Saltwaters a couple weeks ago and asked them if they had installed any of these kits.  They said that they had done one-and that the wobble was so bad they had to have Craig come in and pick it up to see if he could make it work any better.  The guys there were not enthused.  Afterwards, I emailed Craig to ask him about it, as I had recently purchased the kit and was hesitant to install it based on what the guys at Saltwaters had said..  His response was pretty short:  "Working with R&D to get balance correct."  I'm just amazed that they released the kits without making sure that they worked/balanced properly first.

Funny you mention that....I called around to a few shops.....Non are selling the kits..the pulled them off their site or are refraining from selling them due to the balance issue....

15 mins ago, LB said:

So did you remove the counterbalance when you did the change over?

Removal doesn't make a perceivable difference.... The balance is off by almost 3 grams..

If you remove the line roller assembly and just keep the mounting screw and arm....it's almost perfect...I'd be adding that to the opposite side would dial it in nicely.

This is how wobbly it is (no counterbalance weights and no bail spring)

Edited by scoobydoo

1 hour ago, LB said:

For 70$ it comes packed in a dime bag......................that's it.

9 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

For 70$ it comes packed in a dime bag......................that's it.

Yup-that’s how mine came. I was pretty shocked. 

6 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

People who say this don't understand that the VR series can be great in situations where the VS doesn't shine.  They both have their strengths and my VS stays home some days because the VR better suits my needs for that day.  When you throw in the vr50, the difference is even more stark.  There is no comparable reel on the market that rivals the VR50.   Comparing these reels directly does you a disservice.

What situation?!? I've landed everything from sea robins to 40lb. Bass on my VS150 bailed as well as my VS150 Bailess, my bailed VS150 is over 14yrs. old and all I did was swap out the traverse guide and replaced the grease with gear oil, let's see how long that plastic knob last on your VR50!! Just busting b%lls bro but the VR50 sucks...  

scoobydoo more weight is need than just the counterbalance weight on the other side of the line roller the weight on the other side does not make up for the wire that is between the two arms counterweight has to be put on the other side of where the counterbalance was on the rotor. 

For example, his week l just converted 2 Daiwa's and two Cabelas spinning reels made by Daiwa, ran into the same problem first l weighted the complete arm with the line roller mod. without the bail wire attached then made a counterbalance weight to match and mounted it on the other side still out of balance worse than your video placed a small piece of sheet lead flat on the rotor l just keep adding and got it perfect then made a one piece and screwed it down.

This is what the mod. looks like after mod. running smoothly if you still have the VR reel and some lead split shot give it a try tape them to the rotor in the same spot that l put mine or move around to find the sweet spot just for your knowledge and see it smooths out, what l did is all VS would have to do with the weight in the rotor I'm sure.

20200206_184856.jpg

20200206_184936.jpg

20200206_185043.jpg

1 hour ago, prican1 said:

What situation?!? I've landed everything from sea robins to 40lb. Bass on my VS150 bailed as well as my VS150 Bailess, my bailed VS150 is over 14yrs. old and all I did was swap out the traverse guide and replaced the grease with gear oil, let's see how long that plastic knob last on your VR50!! Just busting b%lls bro but the VR50 sucks...  

We can get together and smash our VS on the ground and see whose breaks first lol.  Like I said, some situations I fish my VS and others I prefer my VR

pretty disappointing.  Still love my 50 and other vs, all have their purpose.  I’m just disappointed in the hype of the kit.  I’m no expert, and for bigger tasks have my reels serviced, the selling point for me on the kit was it’s ease of use.....which Could have been way better.  A simple ikea like set of instructions, or a schematic somewhere  online is all i would have asked for......