scoobydoo

Van Staal FAIL....Don't do it...it's NOT WORTH IT!!!

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

Definitely a waste of 70 bucks....should be included for the cost of the reel.  And for a do it yourself “easy” switch, the instructional video could be waaay more complete....no argument with the reel itself I like it...held up well, and I beat it pretty good....but the foresight from an reputable company could have been way better....have a guy like @scoobydoo do some independent research before throwing it on the market!

5 mins ago, AckStriperGuyDD said:

Yes, there are people who haven't had problems but there are waaaaay too many people who have had problems to roll the dice on them.

Honestly I just hope the 50 turns out to be stellar......because that’s the only one if it’s kind in the lineup and I’m excited to use it.

1 hour ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

I had a US made vs150 pretty much blow up on me last year, but when i took it to get serviced he said by the looks of the clay based oil in the reel it hasnt been serviced in over 10 years. And i fished it pretty hard for two seasons.. So that thing had a good run. 

Now its back to being fully operational and had many long nights under water catching fish. 

My 250 was great......Just could not get the stem to stay tightened even with blue Loctite… It only had two screws and I heard the later versions had three so maybe that had something to do with it.

3 mins ago, catatonic said:

Honestly I just hope the 50 turns out to be stellar......because that’s the only one if it’s kind in the lineup and I’m excited to use it.

When they first came out I purchased a VR125 and a VR175.  The reason why I purchased them was because I wanted a lightweight, bailless reel with a higher rate of retrieve than the VS.  I fish for False Albacore a lot off of Nantucket beaches and the VR line seemed perfect.  Unfortunately, shortly after starting to use them the gears starting grinding, the reel was turning the wrong way.  I sold both.  I wish it was different for me.  The VR50 would be perfect for False Albies.  Amazingly, Van Staal only recently started offering the bailless conversion kit on the VR50, 

38 mins ago, EricJ said:

you tell me... you brought up the Hyundai. I personally don't like the ride or the comfort for the most part. However, when I drive a high end Toyota I feel like I am driving a Mercedes, BMW or Land Rover.

So, you convinced the wife you could only catch fish if you had a VS?

You are a very sophisticated fishing and car buyer. Much more sophisticated than the millions who wasted their money on Mercedes and BMW. Not to mention the thousands who spend their money on VS.

imo.........the VR50 is perfect the way it is..........BAILED !!  

I don't think a VS of this size warrants a conversion........but that's my take....:shrug:

2 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

I don't think a VS of this size warrants a conversion........but that's my take....:shrug:

I agree...and I think that's how they planned this reel from the get go....

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, prican1 said:

I said it before and I'll say it again, why did VanStaal try to reinvent the wheel with these reels??? Original VS reel is all you need... 

People who say this don't understand that the VR series can be great in situations where the VS doesn't shine.  They both have their strengths and my VS stays home some days because the VR better suits my needs for that day.  When you throw in the vr50, the difference is even more stark.  There is no comparable reel on the market that rivals the VR50.   Comparing these reels directly does you a disservice.

Edited by Bluetaildragger

58 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Agreed

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I agree...and I think that's how they planned this reel from the get go....

with that said scoob.....in your opinion, is the reel worth the money for it's niche and application?

I have to admit, an 8.9 ounced sealed rel is nice ....but do you find it worth the price...........

7 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

with that said scoob.....in your opinion, is the reel worth the money for it's niche and application?

I have to admit, an 8.9 ounced sealed rel is nice ....but do you find it worth the price...........

I like it......nice fit finish and feel...

I would only ever want it if I knew I was submerging my reel or it was going to really be exposed to sand and saltwater.....

It's sitting next to a Certate.....and there is absolutely zero comparing the two.....

The VR feels like it's out of the stone age in comparison...however it feels pretty good compared to other VS offerings.

The quesiton is...How much more abuse can it really take....If you're the type that doesn't clean your gear....fishes a ton...and catches a ton.....

And how much of the same can the other reels of 2020 take.....

Daiwa's fully sealed spinner at the size and weight is the Certate.........(and I use that term very loosely....but it does have seals of some degree at all entry points)

I'd say you're a fool looking to throw money away if you think a certate can be kicked around in the sand and cleared out by a dunk and crank....

Shimano has the spheros and gosa....sealed about as well but ....but 2x the weight.

Salt x 4000.....15 ounces....Definitely a different size class of reel.

Tsunami shields??  Smaller sizes aren't sealed the same...and it's low end.....we're looking for long term tanks....

What else is there?

So if it can take a dunk and crank....doesn't throw fits in the sand....and doesn't need it's toes hosed after every walk on the beach....with only having to periodically crack the sideplate and pop the rotor to oil the seals....I'd say it's worth it..

ALL THAT assumes the chinesium quality control is up to snuff.... (which ummm...they missed with the bail less kit.)

Here is a guy that did the mod. tools on the table, hunting knife, swiss army knife, folding Torx wrench, he seemed to have gotten the job done I don't know what the gripe is all about it's the same as doing VR125/150/175/200 reels, most reel today use small screws along with lock tight nothing new add a little heat if it's that stubborn. 

Yes, the bailess kit should have been part of the reel package in the box that I'll go along with 70 dollars is not chicken feed. l only had handle two VR50s and both had a slite wobble once on the rod it was fine, shouldn't have been there in the first place simple fix if VS want to address the problem, people l know that have the reel have had no problem with them and really like them a lot if l didn't have a VS100 l would be buying one its good size for lite tackle surf fishing for schoolies and easy to service yourself not like the VSs

Them there is l can buy four reels for the price of this reel.

l did some math on my VS100 l bought it in 1996 $345.00 div. 24 years = $14.375 pr year l can sell it for more than what l paid for it, this reel could follow the same path, VS and VR reels are not for everyone it doesn't have a lot of bling but they do have a lot of b-lls that has been proven over the years.

Funny how people seem to come out of the woodwork when something is downplayed a little give the little reel a little time.

Yes, l own other reels.

For the price they are charging for the bailess kit, you would think they would included extra roller components so its a simple in and out procedure. Haven't they learn for the previous VR gen it's not a good idea for a average joe to mess around tiny bearings and seals.    If you go back to the original subaqua design thread, Rob promised a simple conversion, but failed to deliver at the end.