scoobydoo

Van Staal FAIL....Don't do it...it's NOT WORTH IT!!!

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, RedGreen said:

...but is now made in China too

its not that hard to find a US model if you really want. Ive owned them all my US made ones have held up better IMO, go used and take care of them!

21 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

They new VR models simply even look like pieces of crap the first time i picked one up. Cheap Chinese made reels that are "fully sealed".. Original model is far superior worth the extra couple hundred.  

Same place the VS is made now.....I’ve had good luck with my VR’s Vs’s and Vm’s

the VS is definitely superior but the others aren’t bad.

if my vr50 proves to be a good reel then it’s a winner because a reel that size, with that drag, line capacity,  at 8.9 oz and fully sealed is perfect imo 

17 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

its not that hard to find a US model if you really want. Ive owned them all my US made ones have held up better IMO, go used and take care of them!

I had one US made......it was great but I couldn’t keep the stem from loosening up on it.

18 mins ago, catatonic said:

I had one US made......it was great but I couldn’t keep the stem from loosening up on it.

I had a US made vs150 pretty much blow up on me last year, but when i took it to get serviced he said by the looks of the clay based oil in the reel it hasnt been serviced in over 10 years. And i fished it pretty hard for two seasons.. So that thing had a good run. 

Now its back to being fully operational and had many long nights under water catching fish. 

It’s terrible when a premium product causes more problems than a lesser one. 
I’m so glad that I don’t even own a reel like this.
I would have attempted the conversion too and, lacking the servicing expertise which many of you have, I would have ruined  the reel.

This is why I open up almost all my serviceable tools/equipment not long after i buy them.  For one I get to see how it ticks straight out of the factory for future knowledge...before wear and corrosion set in. Also I get a chance to put more or better grease in.  Second...in the case of the nightmare combo of threadlocker and chineseium fastners...if something snaps...it gets sent back for refund.  

1 hour ago, levari said:

Go and tell this to the millions who buy Mercedes, BMWs and Land rovers. They can buy multiple Hyundai over the years for the same price. 

True... but when it comes to these reels, a good Shimano surf/salt water reel for example is not a Hyundai as compared to a VS.  My Saragosa for example has been bullet proof and I don't even know how old it is and that is just one example. I say that and watch the thing fail this year.

Meanwhile, I do understand that after you spend a pay check on a reel that you already convinced yourself that any other reel is a Hyundai. Well.. that is at least one some people would tell their wife anyway when she saw the dent in the checkbook.

There are plenty of garbage reels out there where your point would apply. Probably more garbage reels than decent ones.

4 mins ago, EricJ said:

True... but when it comes to these reels, a good Shimano surf/salt water reel for example is not a Hyundai as compared to a VS.  My Saragosa for example has been bullet proof and I don't even know how old it is and that is just one example. I say that and watch the thing fail this year.

Meanwhile, I do understand that after you spend a pay check on a reel that you already convinced yourself that any other reel is a Hyundai. Well.. that is at least one some people would tell their wife anyway when she saw the dent in the checkbook.

There are plenty of garbage reels out there where your point would apply. Probably more garbage reels than decent ones.

What’s wrong with Hyundai ? It will outlast as long as Mercedes, BMW and Land Rover . No different than your Saragossa. .. 

7 mins ago, AckStriperGuyDD said:

Stay away from the VR line.  Nothing but problems.

I hear this all the time but I’ve had two that have been great.....and I use my stuff at least 5 days a week from may-October 

8 mins ago, levari said:

What’s wrong with Hyundai ? It will outlast as long as Mercedes, BMW and Land Rover . No different than your Saragossa. .. 

you tell me... you brought up the Hyundai. I personally don't like the ride or the comfort for the most part. However, when I drive a high end Toyota I feel like I am driving a Mercedes, BMW or Land Rover.

So, you convinced the wife you could only catch fish if you had a VS?

9 mins ago, adams54 said:

Problem with hyundai is its not as good as toyota

Exactly.

Shimano = toyota

Mercedes = vanstaal

I was eyeing a VR50 but I think I'm gonna grab a new Stradic FL instead.  My other stradics have been very good to me.  I don't dunk my reels and I wash down and treat them after every saltwater use.  All I've done is service the line rollers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Not only have I not gone down this road, but I have not even purchased a VS yet. Yeah, it is great to know you can dunk that reel but the truth is I have gotten my Shimano wet many times, rinsed it when I got home and the thing still works well. I can buy multiple shimano reels over time for the price of the VS.

Yes it is just a personal thing there and many people here have strong opinions about it. I am sure the VS is an excellent reel and maybe I will get one in the future if there is a deal I cannot refuse.

Now for the big question... 1am? WTF?

By going down the road I meant converted from bailed to bail less.... Wasn't looking for explanations as to why someone can't personally justify purchasing a reel. 

Keep in mind and I mean no offense... Some people are more demanding of their gear.  

Are out there daily... Only wash their gear when it rains.  And take more than splashes... Sand, submersions... This is the only reel of its kind as far as I'm aware... 

Shimano doesn't offer anything comparable. 

And 1am?  Did you turn 70 all of a sudden? 

I was at the gym till 10..and when I left this reel was sitting at my doorstep... Monkeyed around with it when I got home.. 

Wanted to put out my findings asap to prevent anyone from wasting $70.

Edited by scoobydoo

30 mins ago, catatonic said:

I hear this all the time but I’ve had two that have been great.....and I use my stuff at least 5 days a week from may-October 

Yes, there are people who haven't had problems but there are waaaaay too many people who have had problems to roll the dice on them.