scoobydoo

Van Staal FAIL....Don't do it...it's NOT WORTH IT!!!

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Soooooooooooooo.....yeah.....Decided to do a Van Staal VR 50 bailed to bailess conversion step by step..........and uhhh yeah....well that sucked...Solid 2 hours of my life I'll never get back....

So...I'm not really sure if this is a known thing...or something new.....

Regarding for the Bailed to Bailess VR50 conversion....You can open your wallet....Spend the 60-70$ on a few bits of metal......And turn your pretty sweet little egg beater...Into a wobbly mess...   (Worth mentioning.  Out of the box - bone stock it's not as well balanced as a Shimano, Daiwa, Penn...INSERT MODERN SPINNING REEL NAME BRAND HERE _______.  But it's barely noticeable when on the rod and fishing). 

But seriously.......Once the bail less kit is installed....It's like the engineering department brainstormed a way to make the most imbalanced rotor possible.

ON TOP OF THAT.....who is Van Staal expecting to install these things.....This isn't a quick and simple swap.  I honestly don't think they intended to offer a conversion kit when they made the reel.

First you have to remove the rotor.......Not a big deal....BUT...mine required a stint in the freezer to get the rotor retaining nut off......The only people that work on more reels....repair them or assemble them as a source of income....I've dealt with quite a few stuck parts....Getting the rotor off to gain a straight line to the bail arm retaining screws was a PITA.....Almost couldn't do it with the supplied wrench...Ain't gonna lie...I was worried either the wrench or rotor arm was gonna snap..

With the rotor removed.  You have to have the proper length size 9 torx to remove both screws.  

Additionally they are secured with the fishing reel worlds worst thread locker....the white crusty stuff...One of the toughest to crack loose.  Cheap Chinesium Grey metal Torx bits would likely fail.  

I was able to break them loose and do no damage with the home depot husky swiss army knife style torx set...it was a little long...but never did it jump out....It's a high carbon steel and surprisingly good quality 

The risk of damaging / scratching / gouging/  your rotor without even being able to remove the screws is pretty high.

After that...you must remove the nylon/ plastic liners found in the bore of the arms......I used a bearing removal tool that was hand made for me.....Popping them out without damage would take a lot of picking / bearing check tool, getting lucky with something tapered....Poking with a screwdriver....But again....do it without damaging it....as they are in there pretty snug....not easy

Then you must remove all the thread locker on the female post the screws were once seated in....as they need to get keyed to the rotor arm otherwise they won't sit flush.   And by not flush....you'll tighten the screws....and you'll have a pretty large gap between the pick up arm and rotor arm or counterbalance and rotor arm.

Next up...removal of the line roller assembly..and O rings....

Another crispy thread locker adventure....

Aside from that it's simple....just remember the order...and pick out the o rings gently...

Installing the kit I found the wobble isn't any better or worse with our without the bail spring installed.

It also isn't any better or worse when installed on different arms of the rotor (swapped all the parts back forth and then with the bail spring and rotor weight installed and removed)

So yeah....

The moral of this story...

You too can spend money to ruin a perfectly good fishing reel:)  

vr50.png

Edited by scoobydoo

Forgot to add.....I'll obviously be putting out a video on this at some point.....and yeah.....I'm gonna goof on it....

But I want to know from you guys....has anyone else gone down this road yet?

Just now, ASrod said:

The big question is...

When’s the vid dropping?

Damn.....you're fast.

Couldn't even get the added bit in....lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know nothing about any new VS or that model specifically and am only basing my observation on the pic you provided. I would think the severely offset handle  would exaggerate the wobble. The handle knob is so far off-axis from  the handle shaft where it attaches to the reel how can it not wobble? (I can only assume it was offset in order to provide clearance from the bail wire during retrieve)  

Edited by SC

I’m pretty happy I decided I didn’t need a reel that size to be bailess.

i bought the back one to get the extra 1/4” of clearance.

sounds like I made the right choice.

I did it about 3 weeks ago.  Worst experience I’ve had doing a “simple” swap......

To preface, by no means am I a reel expert, basic maintenance......owned plenty.

I loved my 50, great in all intents and purposes.  It fits a niche as a “sealed” reel in that size and class....

Thought it was going to be an easy quick swap. Pretty annoying it was another 60 bucks, but I had to have it.  The swap was going smooth up until the line roller, which was stuck like a mofo....Craig made it look real easy in the video. Anyhow I emailed Craig, he got right back to me. I got the roller off and finished the swap.  Bail now has a wobble, my kit didn’t have a washer as the video stated so there’s some play....balance is definitely off.

Pain in the....

I said it before and I'll say it again, why did VanStaal try to reinvent the wheel with these reels??? Original VS reel is all you need... 

This must be a problem exclusive to the VR50 version.

There is no imbalance at all with the original Vr125 -200 either bailed or bail less that I have ever experienced or heard of.

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

But I want to know from you guys....has anyone else gone down this road yet?

Not only have I not gone down this road, but I have not even purchased a VS yet. Yeah, it is great to know you can dunk that reel but the truth is I have gotten my Shimano wet many times, rinsed it when I got home and the thing still works well. I can buy multiple shimano reels over time for the price of the VS.

Yes it is just a personal thing there and many people here have strong opinions about it. I am sure the VS is an excellent reel and maybe I will get one in the future if there is a deal I cannot refuse.

Now for the big question... 1am? WTF?

They new VR models simply even look like pieces of crap the first time i picked one up. Cheap Chinese made reels that are "fully sealed".. Original model is far superior worth the extra couple hundred.  

21 mins ago, EricJ said:

Not only have I not gone down this road, but I have not even purchased a VS yet. Yeah, it is great to know you can dunk that reel but the truth is I have gotten my Shimano wet many times, rinsed it when I got home and the thing still works well. I can buy multiple shimano reels over time for the price of the VS.

Yes it is just a personal thing there and many people here have strong opinions about it. I am sure the VS is an excellent reel and maybe I will get one in the future if there is a deal I cannot refuse.

Now for the big question... 1am? WTF?

Go and tell this to the millions who buy Mercedes, BMWs and Land rovers. They can buy multiple Hyundai over the years for the same price. 

7 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

They new VR models simply even look like pieces of crap the first time i picked one up. Cheap Chinese made reels that are "fully sealed".. Original model is far superior worth the extra couple hundred.  

...but is now made in China too

39 mins ago, recoil said:

This must be a problem exclusive to the VR50 version.

There is no imbalance at all with the original Vr125 -200 either bailed or bail less that I have ever experienced or heard of.

It definitely is.......I’ve had vr150 and 200 bailess and they’re perfect