Bluetaildragger

2020 NJ Striped Bass Regulations Hearing 2/13

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Potato Caboose said:

In a recent study two stripers caught in the northern NJ bay complex where tagged and tracked. The 32 inch and 42 inch stripers spent the majority of their time near canyons offshore and only made short trips inside of 3 miles mainly to spawn. Studies show more fish since mid 2000’s are spending more time way offshore. New commercial guys 10 years ago said miles of stripers and bait 13 miles and further out.

 

there are plants in NJ considered endangered because we are at the northern most point they grow. Some of these same plants grow like weeds just south of Nj and are not endangered there. Take notice of all 50 plus pound stripers being caught off Virginia now. 
 

I don’t know but is any body completely sure that these stripers just don’t frequent our waters as much because environmental changes have caused them to change their migratory patterns.

 

live long enough you see a lot of changes.

If you understand their life cycle, and what it means when a fish is anadromous, you would understand that these fish need fresh water to breed.   There is no two ways about it.

 

So, the survival of the species depends on them coming not only close to shore, but inland.  

 

Wouldn't you know it, the real studies on the young of year as well as population estimates take place in these areas.  You can search for facts that support what you want to believe, but at the end of the day that's not going to give you an accurate picture.  Two fish?  Come on man.  They went to the canyons and that's interesting, but they were coming back to fresh water by the time the tags dropped.  Where real scientists were waiting to gather facts for real studies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

If you understand their life cycle, and what it means when a fish is anadromous, you would understand that these fish need fresh water to breed.   There is no two ways about it.

 

So, the survival of the species depends on them coming not only close to shore, but inland.  

 

Wouldn't you know it, the real studies on the young of year as well as population estimates take place in these areas.  You can search for facts that support what you want to believe, but at the end of the day that's not going to give you an accurate picture.  Two fish?  Come on man.  They went to the canyons and that's interesting, but they were coming back to fresh water by the time the tags dropped.  Where real scientists were waiting to gather facts for real studies.

Correct where water quality and climatic conditions in the spring often decide reproductive success. I am talking about the path that surf based fisherman are concerned about. Everybody wants to blame everything by changing water temperature 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, Potato Caboose said:

Correct where water quality and climatic conditions in the spring often decide reproductive success. I am talking about the path that surf based fisherman are concerned about. Everybody wants to blame everything by changing water temperature 

No, you were implying that there is not a population issue.  You were arguing that they were simply staying offshore, that much was very clear 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

No, you were implying that there is not a population issue.  You were arguing that they were simply staying offshore, that much was very clear 

I am saying that is a possibility. If u r going to study something u need to look at every possibility. When u take fish that swim in schools u can infer something. Tagging a great white is one thing tagging fish that basically school and swim to feeding grounds is something else. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any shot the ASMFC rejects NJ's CE and forces the 28 to 35in slot with no bonus tag? I feel like the extended season bonus tag along with 3 more inches is  a slap in the face and the ASMFC technically could make NJ comply, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the meeting in Stafford twp on 2/13. 

 The room was filled and a conservation officer came out to us in the lobby and told us there would be no standing inside the meeting. Of course the venue was too small for the number of fisherman wanting to attend. This was the NJMFC.

This was also not the first time that the venue wasn't sufficient to accommodate the number of people wanting to attend.

It is my understanding that the NJMFC was only presenting information and the final decisions are made by the ASMFC.

 I believe these meetings are for information dissemination but our comments are dismissed because the ASMFC will make the decisions and it's not based on our input. Decisions are based on outdated computer models. 

The only thing of which we can be sure is that decisions will continue to be made according to poor data, bias and personal interests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stripergene said:

It is my understanding that the NJMFC was only presenting information and the final decisions are made by the ASMFC.

This is correct.  ASMFC votes to approve an option than recommends that option for NJMFC to also approve before it is initiated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now