Bluetaildragger

2020 NJ Striped Bass Regulations Hearing 2/13

Rate this topic

125 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kcuff said:

Interesting outlook on that I just figured why not take the chance of having a higher chance at killing a male instead of consistently killing primarily females on a daily basis. If you think about it charter boats/ party boats do multiple trips a day where all they do is consistently kill females and big females so why not keep that big fish gene pool going and cull out some of the smaller fish which have seeming taken over the entire fishery. Now I know the little guys are the future generations of the fishery but it seems like there are more of that size class than any other size class. Also why not just implement it even for a few years just to see how it plays out? Especially because then this kills the whole group of people who go on these boat trips to just kill big breeding fish for the glory shot and then just waste all of the fish.  Personally I wont take any bass or most fish in general just due to the fact of how the fishery as a whole has been recently. Plus personally I just don't think bass even taste that good, if anything I'd keep a blackfish, fluke, or sea bass which all taste much better than striped bass IMO.  

Exactly, "there are more of that size class" which means that we are putting all the pressure on the only class that has a chance at rebuilding this fishery. Party boats don't only keep big bass, they keep everything that's over 28". Every big female was once 20", they don't discriminate. If you raise the limit to 1 over 35", the fish are guaranteed to spawn multiple times and we are able to catch fish that actually put a bend in the pole and not these dinks that everyone is getting accustomed to. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, kcuff said:

Interesting outlook on that I just figured why not take the chance of having a higher chance at killing a male instead of consistently killing primarily females on a daily basis. If you think about it charter boats/ party boats do multiple trips a day where all they do is consistently kill females and big females so why not keep that big fish gene pool going and cull out some of the smaller fish which have seeming taken over the entire fishery. Now I know the little guys are the future generations of the fishery but it seems like there are more of that size class than any other size class. Also why not just implement it even for a few years just to see how it plays out? Especially because then this kills the whole group of people who go on these boat trips to just kill big breeding fish for the glory shot and then just waste all of the fish.  Personally I wont take any bass or most fish in general just due to the fact of how the fishery as a whole has been recently. Plus personally I just don't think bass even taste that good, if anything I'd keep a blackfish, fluke, or sea bass which all taste much better than striped bass IMO.  

You want to see the species thrive, yet you advocate for a slot that you admitted would allow pretty much anyone to keep a fish every day.  And it’s a size of fish that will never have a chance to reproduce.  You also advocate for allowing the killing of the 2015 yoy, which is fairly widely regarded as one of (if not the last) chances we have at letting the stock rebound.  I think you mean well but you answer all your own questions if you look deeper than the surface.  

Edited by Bluetaildragger

18 hours ago, kcuff said:

The problem with any slot with a low end of less than 28 inches is that you're not only killing females, but immature females, meaning that most won't have spawned before being removed from the population.  Especially with the current situation where the female spawning stock biomass is in bad shape, preventing females from spawning even once is not a good idea.

The 28-35" slot gives the small females a good chance to mature, and also prevents the largest, most fecund females from being removed from the spawning stock.  That's why the New Jersey proposal to allow 500 or 1000 "trophy" tags to be issued under its bonus program is a bad idea--it makes those fish vulnerable.

While the 28-35" slot isn't perfect, it does protect the big 2015 year class until most mature, and protects the big fish, too--IF it's adopted coastwide, and one state doesn't decide to make itself the exception to consistent coastal rules.

Thanks for the input everyone I was just curious about where the 28-35 inch slot limit came from and why its the most logical solution and now it makes a lot of sense. Hopefully NJ follows what the other states are doing and hopefully it works.   

IMO...For 2020 — For those of us who just have to take a fish home —- > One fish per day per person 28” - 35”

From Surf. One fish to keep.

From Jetty. One fish to keep.

From Personal Boat/Kayak. One fish to keep.

From For-Hire patrons, (if you personally catch more than one Fish, the you gotta put ‘em back - not give to other patron’s who are getting shut out). One fish to keep.

We do this for 2020 to take responsibility to do our part to help the fishery as they pass / and reside in NJ Waters. 

We do this SIMPLE APPROACH - without the complexity, convolution and arguing brought by the “Conservation Equivalency” proposals — and show the rest of the Atlantic States that NJ can take a responsible approach to help set the fishery up with a stronger likelihood of successful recovery.

It’s time to THINK.

The data generated by the scientific community and other personal experiences many of us have had out there SURF/JETTY/PERSONAL BOAT/HIRED BOAT — are telling us that we aren’t catching as many fish, or as big fish as we have in the last twenty years —- WE ALL GET IT!

Plainly stated — if we put more of back in the water — AS HEALTHY AS POSSIBLE, BEST EFFORT— there will be very likely be more fish for us to target next year and the year after, and the year after.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:30 AM, CWitek said:

The problem with any slot with a low end of less than 28 inches is that you're not only killing females, but immature females, meaning that most won't have spawned before being removed from the population.  Especially with the current situation where the female spawning stock biomass is in bad shape, preventing females from spawning even once is not a good idea.

The 28-35" slot gives the small females a good chance to mature, and also prevents the largest, most fecund females from being removed from the spawning stock.  That's why the New Jersey proposal to allow 500 or 1000 "trophy" tags to be issued under its bonus program is a bad idea--it makes those fish vulnerable.

While the 28-35" slot isn't perfect, it does protect the big 2015 year class until most mature, and protects the big fish, too--IF it's adopted coastwide, and one state doesn't decide to make itself the exception to consistent coastal rules.

This isn’t entirely true. The EARLIEST they spawn is around 28”, but most fish need to be around 30”+. 28” is too short. 

4 mins ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

This isn’t entirely true. The EARLIEST they spawn is around 28”, but most fish need to be around 30”+. 28” is too short. 

No, if you read the stock assessment, you’ll find that a very, very few begin spawning at 24”, at least half are mature by 28”, and full maturity is reached somewhere past 32”.

Remember that age at maturity is somewhat plastic.  In a depleted stock, fish will often respond by spawning younger, while when biomass levels are high, the first spawn may be a little delayed.

Just now, CWitek said:

No, if you read the stock assessment, you’ll find that a very, very few begin spawning at 24”, at least half are mature by 28”, and full maturity is reached somewhere past 32”.

Remember that age at maturity is somewhat plastic.  In a depleted stock, fish will often respond by spawning younger, while when biomass levels are high, the first spawn may be a little delayed.

Like I said, 28” is too early. 

I am trying to align things to be able to make tonight's meeting but its not looking good for me. Either way...

Ive never been to any of these meetings in the past but would to start getting involved behind something I(we all) are passionate about.

Question: Any idea/rough estimates on how long the meeting would be? And this is a vote, right? Do votes happen at the end of the meeting? Can someone shed some light here or dm me some of these general details and any other pertaining info, please? TIA!

56 mins ago, Basswiper said:

I am trying to align things to be able to make tonight's meeting but its not looking good for me. Either way...

Ive never been to any of these meetings in the past but would to start getting involved behind something I(we all) are passionate about.

Question: Any idea/rough estimates on how long the meeting would be? And this is a vote, right? Do votes happen at the end of the meeting? Can someone shed some light here or dm me some of these general details and any other pertaining info, please? TIA!

Negative on the voting. They listen ( or try to act like they are ) to comments but there is no public vote. 

Meetings generally run a couple of hours. If they have a lot of people wanting to comment it will run longer. 

Edited by PhilCVG

Not looking like I can swing it with meetings already scheduled for my organization this evening as well. Hopefully people show up and make their statements clear. Stick to facts and science not personal opinion and emotion. Going off on a rant and crazy tangent won't get your point taken seriously. Oh yea and be respectful. Public hearings that turn into shouting matches aren't effective.

Edited by surfcityNJ

27 mins ago, PhilCVG said:

Negative on the voting. They listen ( or try to act like they are ) to comments but there is no public vote. 

Meetings generally run a couple of hours. If they have a lot of people wanting to comment it will run longer. 

Thanks a bunch, Phil!

First, is there a live stream or audio dialin listen only to tonights meeting?

Second, can someone explain to me what the headboats are going to do to release the cows off a 10ft bow?  Are they just going to toss them in as bycatch??

15 mins ago, Goldy said:

First, is there a live stream or audio dialin listen only to tonights meeting?

Second, can someone explain to me what the headboats are going to do to release the cows off a 10ft bow?  Are they just going to toss them in as bycatch??

Same way the surf crew dumps them off jetties my friend.... we all have our part 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

1 min ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Same way the surf crew dumps them off jetties my friend.... we all have our part 

Ugg.. No wonder why we are where we are in this pickle