Bluetaildragger

2020 NJ Striped Bass Regulations Hearing 2/13

Rate this topic

125 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/6/2020 at 8:41 AM, Bluetaildragger said:

Yes, that’s undoubtedly what they’re trying to do.  But I will never understand people trying to shoot down those who are doing their best to stop them.  My main goal would be to cut the bonus tag program, and that is why I will be there.  Think what you want and do what you will, but why discourage those who are trying? 

Just do it man. I'll be there. I spoke at the 2014 meetings while Russ Allen and Tom Fote basically looked as if they thought the entire thing was a joke. Which, based on the decisions they made, it was. That being said, it certainly isn't going to hurt. 

And this time the pressure on them to do the right thing, the thing that the majority of the public actually wants, is even higher. 

Edited by PhilCVG

Hope you guys are right and im wrong. Past

decisions by those making the rules,clearly

show that they don't even take our side into

consideration. IMO, only people making cash

off these fish are heard. The handful of tackle

shops left,and dropping fast, aren't what they

consider "money makers". A video of how your

input is received at this meeting would be great.

Believe it or not, im on your side.

On 2/6/2020 at 8:41 AM, bdowning said:

There are at least 5 conservation equivalency proposals on the table for nj. enough to make your head spin. most states have accepted the 28-35" slot, for better or worse. but not nj (or md). :shrug:

There are only two proposals (not counting the bonus fish, which are considered commercial proposals) on the table for NJ.

One is the 28-35" slot.  The other is a yet-unidentified equivalent slot, which can't have a top end over 40 inches, and will almost certainly kill more fish than the 28-35.

Remember that you now have a new administration, and new fisheries managers (your former fisheries manager now works for Omega Protein) in New Jersey, and that they may very well do the right thing if they hear enough support for conservation-oriented measures.  But you have to be willing to stand up to the folks in the angling community who have been calling the shots for so long.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

There are only two proposals (not counting the bonus fish, which are considered commercial proposals) on the table for NJ.

One is the 28-35" slot.  The other is a yet-unidentified equivalent slot, which can't have a top end over 40 inches, and will almost certainly kill more fish than the 28-35.

Remember that you now have a new administration, and new fisheries managers (your former fisheries manager now works for Omega Protein) in New Jersey, and that they may very well do the right thing if they hear enough support for conservation-oriented measures.  But you have to be willing to stand up to the folks in the angling community who have been calling the shots for so long.

I was including the bonus fish CE proposals, my error.

Hope you are right re: the new administration. I am actually in Mass, not NJ, but am interested in how this plays out south of here.

The bonus tag is actually the worst thing NJ does, conservation wise. I'd be fine with either option on the table if we dropped the bonus tag because that would save more fish.

I know I’ll be buying two bonus tags to keep them from being used. Wish I could make the meeting next week. Really hope the state will realize they need to drop that program. Yet again I’ll probably see hell freeze over before that happens. 

On 2/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, nfd27 said:

I know I’ll be buying two bonus tags to keep them from being used. Wish I could make the meeting next week. Really hope the state will realize they need to drop that program. Yet again I’ll probably see hell freeze over before that happens. 

Yeah, the problem is once they opened that door, itll be very hard to close it. :worms:

Personally I don't keep any striped bass but with the idea of slot limits wouldn't a slot limit of 1 fish at 24"-28" be the most logical solution? We know that most bass over 30 inches tend to be females so why don't we keep the gene pool going and cull out some of the males? If the slots were 24"-28" it would make it much more likely that males would be taken instead of females and on top of that at least it would create an opportunity for surf guys in the fall to have a chance at actually being able to have a fish for the table. Also get rid of that bonus tag. My whole mentality is look what Florida did with the redfish and now look at the redfish population in florida. 

2 hours ago, kcuff said:

Personally I don't keep any striped bass but with the idea of slot limits wouldn't a slot limit of 1 fish at 24"-28" be the most logical solution? We know that most bass over 30 inches tend to be females so why don't we keep the gene pool going and cull out some of the males? If the slots were 24"-28" it would make it much more likely that males would be taken instead of females and on top of that at least it would create an opportunity for surf guys in the fall to have a chance at actually being able to have a fish for the table. Also get rid of that bonus tag. My whole mentality is look what Florida did with the redfish and now look at the redfish population in florida. 

Females also fall into the 24-28" category. You can't take conservation measures that worked for a different species, in a different climate, with a different migration pattern, with a huge difference in population of people targeting and expect it to work. If you guys are happy with catching 24" inch fish consistently to be able to eat a fish then this slot is for you. If you are in this sport to catch big fish this slot is not for you. These fish will never make it out of this class, and the ones that do won't be the ones migrating close to shore.

1 min ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Females also fall into the 24-28" category. You can't take conservation measures that worked for a different species, in a different climate, with a different migration pattern, with a huge difference in population of people targeting and expect it to work. If you guys are happy with catching 24" inch fish consistently to be able to eat a fish then this slot is for you. If you are in this sport to catch big fish this slot is not for you. These fish will never make it out of this class, and the ones that do won't be the ones migrating close to shore.

Interesting outlook on that I just figured why not take the chance of having a higher chance at killing a male instead of consistently killing primarily females on a daily basis. If you think about it charter boats/ party boats do multiple trips a day where all they do is consistently kill females and big females so why not keep that big fish gene pool going and cull out some of the smaller fish which have seeming taken over the entire fishery. Now I know the little guys are the future generations of the fishery but it seems like there are more of that size class than any other size class. Also why not just implement it even for a few years just to see how it plays out? Especially because then this kills the whole group of people who go on these boat trips to just kill big breeding fish for the glory shot and then just waste all of the fish.  Personally I wont take any bass or most fish in general just due to the fact of how the fishery as a whole has been recently. Plus personally I just don't think bass even taste that good, if anything I'd keep a blackfish, fluke, or sea bass which all taste much better than striped bass IMO.