salt deficient

Rooster Tails......

20 posts in this topic

I’ve always done well on the smallest sizes for little creeks.  Brown with a gold blade or white with a silver blade in clear water. Something bright with a gold blade in murky water.

I have no confidence in the spinners with the painted blades.  Anyone do well with them? 

Edited by weekendwarrior

Not a painted blade fan either, only time I had great results was a trip to Alaska. The water was off colored and full of glacial silt, the coho were just slamming the Mepp's rainbow pattern painted spinners. The Bluefox metallic rainbow was a distant second. Gave some of my stash to kids with their parents on the river, and soon they had their arms wore out.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:43 AM, fishless said:

I've had quite a bit of success tossing the cheapie spinners from wally world, the 5 pack.  LMB seem to love em and the occasional Rainbow hit em also.  And you do get what you pay for as the finish does not last a full season on em and by the end you mostly have unpainted lead.  Mepps have done well by me also. 

What fish do you target and catch with these? Got a few packs in my shed collecting dust and/or rust but never had luck with spinners...

On 2/12/2020 at 11:18 PM, Stripernut1 said:

I have tried them all, color is not that important, but being able to get the blade to spin at a slow speed is very often the key to out fishing everything else and RoosterTails do that the best. Past few years they have been a real killer for lake trout in both the Chu and Quabbin...

I have also caught a number of walleye on them.

Hey brother, I have heard that the slow spin is a key to success... any tips for getting the correct speed and spin while working the spinners?

2 hours ago, Brian Clemente said:

What fish do you target and catch with these? Got a few packs in my shed collecting dust and/or rust but never had luck with spinners...

LMB in my local neighborhood lake.